Author Topic: Fishing the day after a big front moves through March 6  (Read 2310 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
For those that fished today in the province, how was it?  Curious to see how eager the fish were to bite after the big front went through.  Thanks for posting results.  Doesn’t matter with location. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing the day after a big front moves through March 6
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:37 AM »
I would love to know but I can barely get out of my driveway let alone go ice fishing 🤤

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I recall one year we were hittin the pike real good for quite a few days in a row on Deif. There was no cover on the ice to speak of and cleats were a must. Well...then the snow hit....bye bye pike fishing. This is why i am a firm believer in how fronts have nothing to do with the bite other than the fact that the lake got very dark after the snow pack darkened the lk.

Some folks believe its the barometric pressure...i believe its the light/dark fenom. Its why fish feed heavy in spring/summer and again in fall. The eye has it !

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Last year in February, when I thought was the burbot spawn period, I always catch whitefish, burbot and walleye regardless of weather. Fair weather and blowing snow did not affect the bite.

This year the burbot spawn seems still around the corner. It could start this weekend.

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2018, 01:39 AM »
Fished this evening, maybe a dozen or so small pike and one nice walleye

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Ive found just before a system moves in can be great.  then a couple days after its over and things settle they are biting again

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2018, 11:05 PM »
It is my experience that fish will feed heavy a day or so before a front moves in, then slow for a couple days during and after the front.  I don't think the snow cover is a concern, once the ice is 3 feet thick.   

I fished yesterday and today on Blackstrap.  Did catch 10 jumbos yesterday, but it took all day. When I cleaned them, their stomachs and intestines to their bum was full of them also.  So this would support that they did feed heavy before the front, and the fishing was slow after the front.  Today was also slow, but only fished 1/2 a day with 1 keeper walleye and 4 jumbos being  caught.

To bad fish aren't like us humans, and have to feed 3 times a day, with snacks in between and then bedtime snack regardless if a front is moving in or out.  Or maybe it's that fish go on diets more often then we do.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2018, 12:10 PM »

To bad fish aren't like us humans, and have to feed 3 times a day, with snacks in between and then bedtime snack regardless if a front is moving in or out.  Or maybe it's that fish go on diets more often then we do.

pretty sure its the reason we as humans are so sick..eating ourselves to death. Fasting has its benefits

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Well after the big front moved through the province on Friday I went out not expecting to do well on Saturday.  The fish my buddy and I found were aggressive and hungry. Nce surprise. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.