The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: How far north in Michigan (do I need to go) to find walkable ice?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
I'm Going to Houghton lake in a few weeks.
I was wondering if I could drive a little farther north and find ice?
I have drove to the bridge before from the cabin and had lunch,
so I'm not worried about the distance, just want to walk on some ice.
Thanks for all replies! ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
If the current weather forecast holds up there could easily be fishable ice around Houghton lake. I have a buddy in Cadillac and we're already making plans for the 9th or 10th to go poking around if the weather holds up
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Depends on the body of water, guys were fishing otsego manistee in kalkaska and Mitchell before the warmup so id imagine those lakes wont take much to be good to go.....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
mitchell and cadilac are open now
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Im heard some lakes are freezing north of 72?

Looks like we can drive an hour north of the cabin and fish?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They are on 4-5 inches on otsego 2 days ago, its definitely starting but its definitely spud time

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
They are on 4-5 inches on otsego 2 days ago, its definitely starting but its definitely spud time

This is great news!
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
forecast now looks great
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline rgp198328

• IceShanty Rookie
Doeslayer.... What you up to next weekend
Hook em n cook em

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
By the looks of the weather working, we are supposed to get snow, not a ton but ill be on and off salting and or plowing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm heading up Wednesday, hopefully the snow doesn't slow me down too much.

Offline rgp198328

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm gonna hold up and let the storm go through and see what happens. I refuse to fish otsego and I think the snow is gonna kill the lakes I like
Hook em n cook em

Offline Crappie-addict

• IceShanty Rookie
Kudos to you for avoiding otsego haha. It's not worth the time or gas money. Should be some other lakes ready by early next week I think? It's gonna kind of depend on how the snow affects things but with nighttime lows in the single digits a few nights next week things should set up decently.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
I’m taking a little trip up north this week to find some. I’ll keep you guys posted when I get back
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Our pond has froze back over the last few days but I don't think that the heavy snow we got last night is going to help it.  Deer haven't started walking across it again yet so probably isn't ready yet.
Good news is most of the lakes in the areas were open so the new snow isn't going to hurt them and with the lower temps might be ok soon, I will be out scouting over the weekend to see if I can find anything hard enough.

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone have eyes on Cadillac/Mitchell? Just curious if it’s locked up yet or not. I know the temps look promising there
I’m headed there wkend of February 9
Haven’t fished it in 10 years. Can’t believe it’s been that long

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Todays report

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Doeslayer! Looking forward to getting back there 🎣

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well folks, I decided to hold off on my scout this weekend. But should be game on for pretty much everyone by next weekend. Luckily the deep freeze is happening after most of the snow fall so we should see some nice healthy black sheets of ice in several days forming. Talk to you guys in a couple days. If anyone is doing any scouting this weekend, you already know the deal, be careful, ice picks spud etc…
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Update to my trip.
I’m at the Foughts resort and the snow yesterday afternoon was good enough to shut down restaurants and businesses. The wind and temp was not helping. Only 28 degrees it stuck to everything. Looks like a coffee day on the cabin as the roads are being cleared. I have a two wheel drive Nissan van so I’m careful where I park or drive into. It’s a different way to think. I promised the wife we would drive up to the bridge (mackinaw) and take pictures so we decided to do it before the storm. After seeing the bridge I drove them to Alpena following  Lake Huron. Stopped by Fletcher pond and about 25 guys on the 2 inches of ice reported.
I fished Thursday on otsego north of the state park. Right away I caught a nice perch and thought I was in them good. I lost four more good bites giving them a perch minnow from being to quick. The ice was 3 inches where I was standing above 9-10 foot of water. I knew a guy who fished 20’ of water but not having any footprints to follow I knew better. As we were out there my wife was monitoring Facebook and said two people fell in at the state park.
It was good to get out even though I left all my comfort stuff at home. I couldn’t believe all the lakes with no one on them all the way to the bridge.
The snow on the lakes will not help things and remember it’s hiding 2-3 inches of ice. Be safe everyone.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well someone is getting on a little ice anyway.  Came in the house about an hour ago to warm up and rest after feeding the livestock, plowing, and snowblowing around the house.  Went in to change out of my sweaty cloths and a couple of deer came into the back yard.  Watched them as the checked out a couple of the wife's bushes and ate on a couple other plants.  As they were leaving they headed across the pond.  10-20 ft from the point and the lead doe broke through up to her shoulders.  As a started cussing she was pawing at the ice and propelling herself up and down.  I headed for the kitchen to get my clothes and boots on and she was standing 10yds up the bank in the pines looking around like **censored**???  The other deer had came back to the beach and made there way around on solid ground and met back up with her.  So edges are very sketchy and the center section did support a couple of deer.  Next weekend should be fishable with the way the temps are going to be through the week.  I am between Baldwin and Newaygo and our pond averages around 7-8' deep 12' at the deepest and about a acre in size.  Good luck and stay safe as everyone is trying to get on some ice, it will be next weekend for me.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey good going fellas. I’m actually gonna be doing some scouting myself starting Monday. Got pretty much all my gear around and ready to rock. Bought one of those new cooler aerator bait buckets today as Cabelas. They are pretty slick. Built in aerator and has a mesh bag scoop built in that you just lift up with a little handle so no need for a scoop either! Anyways everyone be safe this week!! We’re making ice as we speak!!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good luck on the scouting.  You will like the new bait bucket but I don't use the netting in the winter it freezes up too easy and makes it tough to close the lid and handle in general.  Works good in the summer though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.