Author Topic: understanding gills ?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
understanding gills ?
« on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:31 AM »
Mostly I fish places that I see other are fishing or go to my old favorite spots. I want to try to be a better ice fisher not just going to the same spots and trying my luck.
This there a book or a place on the web that I could go to read more about understanding gills in the winter time?

Thanks
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
Re: understanding gills ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I would get a hot cup a Joe or cold pop, get comfy and start reading through all the threads in the Bluegill forum. The guys on I.S. are the most effective tool I have for fishing knowledge.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Here is a good place. You can learn more about a lake during the summer than anytime else. Sonar around, there are many bumps, dips and isolated weed beds that no map will ever show. If there isn't a downloadable map, make one.  Line up some landmarks to mark it down and find it again, then fish it. Been doing it for 40+yrs, I'm the anti-social, clueless guy on the other side of the lake with a bucket full of fish  ::). Never know until you look, and look more than once

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:14 PM »
He's right, scout lake in summer.  Get a good handheld gps and mark your spots, then take it with you on the ice.  You can drill in high percentage spots that way.  Best way I've found for finding good new spots.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:57 PM »
If ya want a good book on 'gills Dave Genz's book is pretty good, He also has a matching DVD.

It appears ya can still pick up a used one on Amazon.com as well as many other ice-fishing books.

Here's a link for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dave+genz&tag=mh0b-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=70773812&ref=pd_sl_4wc9oqol1_e

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Google is your best friend just type in ice fishing bluegill tips and tricks
heres whats on the top of the list http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/icefishing-fishing/gf_aa126104a/.           

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.