Author Topic: Clam caviar jigs  (Read 1598 times)

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
Clam caviar jigs
« on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Anyone using these? Tipping them with bait/maki or fishing them just like an errant egg? Would think they might be effective closer to the spawn.

I just found them for .90/each so I bought a few... anytime I can get tackle for 75-80% off I'll give it a shot.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Vexilar23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam caviar jigs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:37 PM »
I love them with plastics. They are killer for panfish of done correctly. By chance where did you find them for that cheap?

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:31 PM »
End of season in store at Cabelas. I just loaded up on a bunch of tungsten jigs all sizes and brands .70-$1 each. Was hoping to find some hali jigs but it was a nice consolation.

Ok, I shared my secret... any hint on what "rigged correctly " means
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Vexilar23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Really depends on brand of plastics. I mainly used clam maki (both sizes) but have recently switched to panfish plastics. They hold up much longer and still have great action. I rig them like you would any other plastic. Through the front with hook facing up and jig and plastic horizontal. Just have to mimic what your body of water has for invertebrates. If you think a color combo look stupid or out of place. Try it. That's how I catch fish everywhere I go

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Tried these rigs for the first time this year.  I used the red, pink and white glows rigged with either waxies or white mustache plastic.  Did fairly well with the gills or crappies, so will have to be on the lookout for close-outs this time of year. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.