Author Topic: Lightweight float suit?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lightweight float suit?
« on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:14 PM »
I've been wearing a Striker Climate suit for a few years.  It's pretty great, but it's heavy.  I walk a lot when I ice fish-- sometimes hiking miles on Champlain.  And sometimes I haul a flip-up shelter and a heater.  So really, the climate suit is too hot!

I'd rather have a waterproof shell that doubled as a float suit.  Then I could layer underneath as needed.

Do you know of any lightweight float suits that are good for active fishing?

Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Lightweight float suit?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:24 PM »
try it w/o liner.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:21 AM »
Have you considered wearing one of those instant-inflate co2 life vest? Then you could wear whatever suit you wanted without the weight of added floatation. I also walk everywhere and I’m considering this option.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Or unzip vents

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:11 AM »
the flotation assist is in the shell, not the liner. you can wear what ever layers/base you want if your too hot or it's too heavy if you remove the liner. recommend poly for base just so it won't absorb water.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Thanks.  I don't use the liner at all.  The shell itself is too heavy and hot!  The extra effort, just to lift your leg in the bibs, adds up when you're putting on miles.  It's great for all-weather bucket-sitting, but I fish differently these days.

I'm looking for a different shell that's lighter and better suited for long hikes on the ice.

Have you considered wearing one of those instant-inflate co2 life vest? Then you could wear whatever suit you wanted without the weight of added floatation. I also walk everywhere and I’m considering this option.
I was thinking the same thing!  But... I don't really trust the inflating co2 PFD's to work when I need them, especially in icy conditions.  I've heard of failures in summer weather.  I do have a nice comfortable PFD that I wear in my kayak (I kayak fish from ice out until it locks up again), which could be the answer.  So... maybe just wear a light waterproof shell with all the layers you need underneath, and a quality pfd?

The right float suit must be out there, and someone here must know about it :)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2018, 08:21 PM »
I think Striker has a lightweight option as well, I think it's the Trekker suit? I believe that's designed for the southern ice belt region.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Trekker.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I have the very first version called the striker lite suit.its so much lighter than the hardwater and nowhere near as bulky.warm too but not a furnace.its probably been renamed as striker seems to change and rename suits often.

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Arctic armor is the lightest float suit by far. I have had mine for years.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Nice, thanks.  That's good info.  I wish the manufacturers would post the weights of the suits!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2018, 08:38 PM »

I would never use one of those in the winter. the water is too cold and it will not inflate right and in the event it does it can be too restrictive and cut your air off by compressing your chest with all your layers on.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10:23 PM »
I would never use one of those in the winter. the water is too cold and it will not inflate right and in the event it does it can be too restrictive and cut your air off by compressing your chest with all your layers on.
Or even worse you now could be (with the expanded vest) bigger than the hole in the ice you just went though.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.