Author Topic: Converting cooler for bait storage  (Read 4238 times)

dave_dammer

Converting cooler for bait storage
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 06:22 PM »
I've been thinking... (always dangerous)

I've got a cooler that I might try to convert into a 'live well' to keep in my garage so I can buy larger quantites of bait (shiners, suckers) and keep it on hand.

Has anyone ever tried to do this?  I'm thinking an aquarium bubbler might do the trick.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
Re:Converting cooler for bait storage
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:19 AM »
Just keep in mind that if you are on city water you will need to treat it or your investment in bait will go down the drain. Also my buddy has an airated insulated minnow bucket and it will still freeze in -0 weather.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2003, 02:53 AM »
frostbite is right. if you are using city water it has clorine in it. fill the cooler with as much water as you think you need, drop in an airstone hooked to an aquarium pump and leave it run a few days to stabilize the water. I would also say to put it in your basement cuz it will freeze in the garage. unless you are into minnowsicles. haha. just my 2 cents. good luck.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:35 AM »
You can also go to a pet store and buy a bottle of chlorine treatment used for aquariums. It's cheap and you just add a few drops per gallon of water.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:14 AM »
I have a 100gal poly stock tank I use for my bait. This year I added an old 105q cooler I had to my system to keep my smaller bait. I have drains plumbed into both.

If you plan on keeping a lot of bait, I would get some "finer shinner","bait mait", or some kind of water conditioner. You will need an air pump and air stones (walmart has 110V air pumps for $10). Cahnge the water every few days (depends on the size of the tank and the amount of bait) Never change more the 1/3 of your water at a time. The Ph change can shock the bait and kill it. Also...Don't feed the bait. It only creates waste and ammonia.

Here are some pics of my poly tank. The pipe going to the top is an overflow.

dave_dammer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:32 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas, guys!  The plumbing part is most definitely not my forte.  Where did you get the big Rubbermaid tub?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:59 PM »
I got the tank at Agway. I'm sure Tractor supply and other farm supply centers have them too. I believe True Value hardware stores can order them too.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2003, 02:24 AM »
I invested in a $7 aquarium pump and $5 bottle aquarium purifier from walmart last winter.  I used a 5 gallon bucket as the tank and kept it in the basement.  It worked pretty good It kept minnows alive for about 2 weeks and definitly paid for itself.  Med. roaches are expensive.  And plus it is nice to not have to worry about getting bait early in the morning...

dave_dammer

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2003, 07:29 AM »
Esox,

How did you do the plumbing so the connections are tight?

Thanks,
Dave

GatorSlayer

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Hey esox, how much cash does a poly tank like that run? Do they come in smaller sizes, say 50 or 25 gallons? I ran two 5 gal pails last year and it worked but was a pain in the neck to control two separate tanks. I was looking for something like this, but not quite as big.

Oh, one more question, do you run a filter in there or are you just religious on changing the water?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2003, 04:46 PM »
Nothing rude, but Im very glad I have an honor system bait dealer closeby. I would definitely screw up and kill 2 months worth of bait.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2003, 06:14 PM »
Esox If you have the time with your answers can you tell me how you put up such nice pictures? Always wondered how people do that,...I don't have a clue,..I'm guessing you need a scanner? reg camera or digital?

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2003, 10:40 PM »
I have almost the same setup but with an old chest freezer. the freezer worked up till last year. before that I could keep smelts most of the summer. still works good for winter bait. I keep it in garage with cover shut and small lite  inside to keep the ice off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.