Author Topic: Noodle rods  (Read 13890 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Noodle rods
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:36 AM »
I was at the outfitters yesterday and looked at one of those noodle rods. What the hell do you use them for? It seems like they'd be good for jigging because even the slightest movement makes that tip wiggle. But it seems like reeling in even the smallest minnow bends that sucker all the way back to the handle. Is it supposed to make it look like you have a giant fish on so others on the ice are jealous? I assume it's strictly for panfish. Fill me in.

Dark_Cloud

Re:Noodle rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:42 AM »
They work well for panfish when useing 1 and 2 pound test line and small 1/64th to 1/200 size jigs. And with a good reel with a great drag and some patience they can land huge fish. Landed a 20 inch largemouth, numerous big pickerel and a 26 inch eye on one last year with 2# line...

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2003, 01:38 PM »
 city fishin, what's wrong with making others jealous? ;D I have a noodle rod and it is the one I use most. I use 2 pound test and have caught everything from small bluegills to a 19" pike. The fact that you are using light line helps catch more fish. Just my 2cents.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2003, 03:03 PM »
Cityfishin,  "Noodle rods" are fantastic for small panfish or faint biting fish!  Used with 2lb. test line, this combo is killer on most fish due to the telegraphing rod tip.  You know that the rod does bend "south" pretty good, which only makes it more fun on the ice.  I would recommend these style rods for folks who are more visually oriented rather than those people who rely more on touch.  One other thing, make sure you outfit this style rod with a reel that has an excellent drag!  Dark Cloud and Bob are so right when they said you can ice big fish with one of these rods.  Just enjoy the fight and don't horse em' in.  ;) -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2003, 05:53 PM »
Thanks. Usually I don't rely on my drag to get a fish in, I tend to back reel. When you buy a rod/reel combo for 10 bucks, they usually don't spend too much time with a smooth drag. 1-2 ball bearings probably doesn't do much. Anyway, it seems like it may be fun. Like trying to land a fish with a branch from a willow tree. I thought 4# test was light. 2# seems almost silly. It would take you 20min just to land a crappie. I may have to try it though. Has anyone seen those self jigging rods, they have a bee logo on them, how lazy is that? With the lack of oxygen and bad cigars, I'm lazy enough. At least jigging my rod (no pun intended) keeps me awake in the wee hours. Sheesh.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2003, 07:08 PM »
cityfishin, I want to know where to find those rods, I NEED MORE :P
Barleydog is right, you do not need a spring bobber or any bobber with these. Also 2lb. test is not silly but a little TOO heavy for some of these rods. I know i use 1lb. and 1&1/2 test on a 12'' noodle. You have to scale everything down ( jig, reel and line) on these and they will work. Caught and landed a 3lb.+ Pickeral on 1# test.
Crappieloo :'(

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:25 PM »
I never knew these things were so big. I'm going to have to pick one up now. I saw them at Galyans in Minnesota. They just started to put things out now that deer season has begun. What kind of reel do you pair with these? A regular spinning reel? How do you bait these? I assume you use a really small jig. Mostly I fish with fatheads for bait, but that would almost be too much action. How about line depth? How do you gauge that without a bobber? I'm anxious to try this as soon as possible.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2003, 06:53 AM »
Cool ,Galyans there is one in my area.
DON'T buy a micro or noodle rod if you are bait fishing with minnows. you need a stiffer rod for that. Also don't buy one if you are fishing deep water. Basicly these are used for shallow water and tough or pickey fish. You can scale down to micro jigs with 1# to1&1/2# line and catch fish. There's no need to worry about breaking 1# test cause the rods (the ones i use) are so limber. As stated  in earlier post BE careful if you run 2# test on these rods because you may break the rod off right at the handle. I have tried all types of reels, spinning reels didn'T work for this set up. I use small spincast reels like zebco with a smoth drag. My favroite is a shakespere trigger spin extremly sliky smooth drag.
Line depth , if you don'T have a flasher to see where your jig is you may want to use a slip bobber. Or just use nothing and when you catch fish return to the same spot by figuring how far off the bottom, or how far down. Its pretty easy when your fishing 8 to 13 fow.
Crappieloo

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2003, 01:30 PM »
Cityfishin,  Usually I would say to back reel your fish, but it's really hard when your using thread!  Tha't why I use a really dependable ultra lite reel.  I sometimes use them on trout which tend to fight better than perch.  When trout switch directions, it's tooooo late!  I agree with Crappeloo, don't use noodle rods with minnows.  The rod will telegraph the minnows fart.  Not a rod of choice for deep water fishing niether.  Microlight jigs and when they seem lock-jawed are great times to try you noodlerods.  Noodlerods tend to freeze up really easy in cold weather due to the tiny metal eyes.  Have Fun!
TEAM ALASKA

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2003, 02:16 PM »
Three real nice reel with great drags that are in the 20 dollar range are the Silstar Tiny 20, Quantum xl00, and a Shimano AXULS. For twice that price the Shimano Sedona500 is awesome. Alot of other options out there but these ones I have experience with and would recomend....

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2003, 11:45 PM »
Usually I'm out fishng for walleye or northern, but I'll have to try this rig on my father-in-law's lake. He's got lots of crappie. It's possible to bring in a 3# eye through the ice? Scary. Thanks for the tips.

Offline WalleyeStalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2003, 11:36 PM »
I goto Wisconsin every weekend and the best deal i have seen on Noodle rods is 7.99 each at the sport shop just west of St.Croix Falls and the Cenex in Turtle Lake, WI. Rainbow Home Center in Rice lake,WI has some up to 32" they run about 9.99 if your interested just e-mail me. I drive by all three spots, I live in Big Lake, Minnesota but am in the cities quite a bit.

cityfishin, I want to know where to find those rods, I NEED MORE :P
Barleydog is right, you do not need a spring bobber or any bobber with these. Also 2lb. test is not silly but a little TOO heavy for some of these rods. I know i use 1lb. and 1&1/2 test on a 12'' noodle. You have to scale everything down ( jig, reel and line) on these and they will work. Caught and landed a 3lb.+ Pickeral on 1# test.
Crappieloo :'(

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2003, 12:23 AM »
Hey that's very nice of you WalleyeStalker. I don't know what length I'd need. Any suggestions? I see Crappieloo uses a 12", I think the ones I saw were at least 18-24". Also, what's the difference between a noodle and a deadstick? It sounds like the deadstick has a stiffer butt with a noodle tip, is that right? Are they used the same basic way?

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2003, 07:05 PM »
cityfishin - Id recomend something around 24 inches. The HT IceBlues are real nice and cost around 10 bucks. I have built a few down to around 15 inches to use when "sight fishing"...

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:29 PM »
I don't know guys ??? ??? ???
I went to Wal-mart, (4 different stores) and GM and seen those HT Ice blues, but i have plenty of med. light rods and don'T need any more. The micro rods i use will flex all the way INTO the handle when fighting a 12 inch crappie and all of the so called '' short (24'') rods i see flex only 1/2 to may be 3/4 to the handle. I knew i would have a hard time finding one this year so i hacked up a 20 incher and made a 15 inch noodle out of it. This will work just fine with 1lb. test mono. BTW i don't sight fish and don't believe in buzz sticks. What good are they?

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:38 PM »
Crappieloo - If your interested in building one I have a bunch of blanks here that would make awesome 12-20 inch noodle rods. I built myself a 15 incher and am making Tony one now. They bend all the way into the handle. I got them dirt cheap and would send ya a couple, if ya want. Let me know???

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2003, 09:35 PM »
Dark Cloud, we will hook up soon i will be going back to Onieda creek this weekend and will probablly run in to you guys. If not we will work something out. I went to Galayans tonight looking for ICE stuff. man what a bunch of a##holes. Couldn't find any ICEFISHING stuff except a few shelters and augers. The sales guy asked me if i needed some help and i said yea i can't find any Icefishing equipment. He said '' it will be in next week''. I said you got to be kidding a lot of places are sold out allready. He looked at me and gave me a jerk, tard, nerdy smile as i walked away. Then i went to dicks, and ran into the same crap over there. Whew :P

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2003, 09:13 AM »
I'm sure you guys can help me, but what is the big difference between a noodle rod and a deadstick? Is a noodle rod just much lighter and bendy from tip to butt? I understand a deadstick to be noodly at the tip and stiff towards the butt. I need a glossary.

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:05 PM »
crappieloo - I live down in Endicott and will be busy deer hunting this weekend. I'll get a couple of those blanks to Tony for ya. I believe i gave him a few a coupe years ago, maybe he still has one around? Well see, but these seem right up your alley.

cityfishin - you got the idea on the terminology....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.