Author Topic: Hi-Vis Line  (Read 3773 times)

GatorSlayer

Hi-Vis Line
« on: Nov 12, 2003, 12:21 PM »
Who strings up with hi-vis line for ice fishing, either Stren Gold or Trilene Hi-Vis? I'm trying some 4lb Stren Gold out this year with an 18", 2 lb Micro Ice leader. It looks pretty good so far, the line really stands out.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Hi-Vis Line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2003, 12:45 PM »
I've used Stren gold for a long time. I use a 5 or 6 foot leader and can see no difference in the amount of bites/hit I get. It sure is nice to be able to see it when you are caught on ice chips around your hole.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 PM »
I went with the bright green on  two rods last year and will do so on all my rods this year. It's super easy to see on the ice and snow and easy to see where it enters the water. I don't bother with a leader and iced as many, or generally, more perch than those around me last year.
Pete Lewis

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2003, 05:19 PM »
I used the Stren gold last year on a couple rods.  It didn't help me much as far as detecting strikes, but like the other guys said, it's really nice when the line gets tangled in the ice.  I use a mono or flouro leader.  More than a few guys have told me it makes no difference, but I'm just more confident with it.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2003, 08:32 PM »
   I have been using Stren Hi-vis Yellow 3# for a few years now for gills and in early ice. I get as many bites as the clear lines. The best benefit for me is that the line is show visible I can detect a fish inhaling the bait just by watching the slack line in the hole. However as the season gets on I think you have to use a leadrer of clear line to be effective.
Chuck
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

mngonefishing

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2003, 08:55 PM »
i have tried it dont care for it. my brother inlaw loves it. thats what keeps the bait stores open ;D different likes  :'(

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2003, 12:05 PM »
I really want to try it this year after reading this post.  So would you say that overall a clear leader is really not needed?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline phishnphool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2003, 01:20 PM »
a couple old timers i fish with has been using the stren hi vis for yrs.,me being bass fisher for many yrs. would not use if because of the hi visability.but for icefishing it works great its the best for detecting shy bites!the memory is bad but that can even work to your advantage when trying to c even  the most delicate bitesi c cortland has a hi vis line out for jigging and it suppose to have no memory,i have been useing the berkly ice line for yrs  but i am sold on the hi vis line forever now ;D

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2003, 09:25 PM »
HI vis rules on all of my rods.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:30 AM »
I've always used the gold stren. I've used diffrent leader material over the years, right now it's seagaur floro.  Some people use no leader and do very well, take a look at the article in the new 2004 Ice Guide about Tight liner Bud Faynor he doesn't use a leader. And he places in the top spots at the Trap Attacks.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.