Author Topic: St. Croix Premier Ice Rod  (Read 6225 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
St. Croix Premier Ice Rod
« on: Oct 07, 2003, 02:02 PM »
I see that St. Croix has a new ice rod for this year. It is the "premier" ice rod and will sell for around $20. I guess they will still have the "Avid" ice rod. Just thought I'd let you guys know of another rod choice.
Ken                                          

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:St. Croix Premier Ice Rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2003, 02:03 PM »
Thats good to know,I will check it out.Thanks
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2003, 05:40 PM »
Bean, i bought my ST.Crox ice rod about 10 years ago and love it, landed quite a few fish over 3 lbs. on 1 lb. test.
I contacted the company about 5 years ago ,am looking for another one and they said they discontinued them :( :(
Now that i don't have to drive to P.A. or Ohio maybe my local Gander Mountian will have them :)
Crappieloo :'(

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2003, 06:47 PM »
I was browsing the fish307 website looking for Eskimo augers when I found these listed. They have them for $19.99. I have no connection with this place, just reporting what I saw(before anyone flames me).
Ken                                          

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2003, 06:16 AM »
I went to Thorn Bro's website and all they have are the Avid's.  When did St. Croix release these premiers?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2003, 07:49 AM »
St. Croix released the premier ice rods within the last 9 months or so by the person I talked to at the company. I called the company to find what dealers would have these around my area. Unfortunately they couldn't help me, but the rep said when they made the initial batch of these rods - they went fast from the guys that work at St. Croix. If you go to the St. Croix website and click on "Dealers", just find your state to find a dealer near you that carries St. Croix rods. You'll have to see if they will carry these rods during the Ice Fishing season. I would suspect by the end of this month, the dealers will be getting their ice fishing inventory in. Here is a link to the only place I have found them: http://www.fish307.com/fish/mStCroixIceRodsCombos.htm
Ken                                          

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2003, 11:48 AM »
hey bean thanks for all the info. it is that time of year to start arranging our gear and waiting for the hard water. thanks again.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2003, 02:34 PM »
I 2nd the thanks for that link to St. Croix Bean. I've got a 9' steelhead rod in need of repair. Now i know how and where to send it.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2003, 11:01 AM »
I just saw those St.Croix Ice rods in the new netcraft catalog they had 2 modles one had a graphite handle and the other had a nice cork handle.  The cork handle one came with a reel for $38.  I've never seen one of these rods so i don't know how they compare. Netcraft also carries the blanks and handles, guides ect.    www.jannsnetcraft.com
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2003, 07:05 AM »
I now see that Cabela's is carrying the St. Croix Premier ice rod in a combo. They have them set up with a 3-bearing open face UL reel for $35. They also come with a nice 2 year warranty. Just letting you know what's out there.
Ken                                          

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2003, 04:41 PM »
Bean, i made a mistake :-[
The St. Croix rod i bought was a '' Artic angler'' in 18 inches long and according to them is not produced any more :(

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2003, 09:46 AM »
I now see that Thorne Brothers are carrying the St. Croix Premier Ice Rods as well as the Avid Ice rods. Fish307 is a little cheaper on shipping though. I got the following info from the fish307 site: "The Premier Ice Rods are manufactured using the same blanks and guides as the Avid Ice Rods. The only difference is in the handle. The Premier has a larger cork grip which is easier to hold while wearing gloves." The Premier sells for $10 less then the Avid.
Ken                                          

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2003, 03:19 PM »
Just got from Gander Mt. near Buffalo,NY and their putting out their ice fishing stuff today. They had the St Croix ice rods with or without the reels. Some had the Grafite handles and some had just cork. They started at 19.95 for a 28"UL with no reel and went up to 39.95 I believe for the combo They had med. and UL in I beleive 24" and 28" also had a lot of other nice things for the hard water. Spent about 2hrs just looking at the ice stuff and wishing it were here!
Cold Feet

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2003, 08:29 AM »
How do St. Croix rods compare to the others??
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2003, 10:33 AM »
hey shwung79, won't be much longer & you will have
enough posts to become an iceshanty pro. ;D :'(

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2003, 08:23 PM »
I just got back from Gander Mt. and bought 2 St. Croix premier 28ul for 19.99 ea. They look like a great rod now all we need is the ice. Can't wait to try them
Cold Feet

Panfish2

« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2003, 09:12 PM »
Congrats cold_feet!

I'm a St. Croix customer for life. I have 4 St. Croix rods (among 20 or so other soft water rods) including a few G. Loomis, and the St. Croix rods are the only ones I take fishing anymore.

Sooo, I see no reason to purchase any ice fishing rod cept' the St. Croix. Anyone know if the Harrisburg GM store has the St. Croix ice rods in stock? Cabela's has them in combo I believe, but I'm not into cheap reels, so I'll put my Stradic 1000 FH's on them.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2003, 06:42 AM »
Bought a new premier ice rod,man I'll tell ya this thing is great,tried it out over the weekend for some gills this
thing is so sensitive. ;D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2003, 08:40 AM »
Glad to hear you like it Cooley. I have one on the way I ordered from fish307. Couldn't find any at my local Gander store. I'm looking to see how it compares to my Thorne Brothers walley sweet heart plus rod. I'm going to mate it up with an Okuma UL 10 ultralight spinning reel. I have the same reel on my TB rod and I really like them.
Ken                                          

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2003, 11:17 AM »
 I picked up a premiere 24"ul rod yesterday at Knutesons in Brooklyn Mi.  $19.99  This rod is very nice I can't wait to try it! They had the avid too also rods in combos!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.