Author Topic: Ice Shanty Light  (Read 3082 times)

bschlauch

Ice Shanty Light
« on: Sep 12, 2003, 05:42 PM »
Last fall a buddy and myself built a shanty. It works great. We used two tarps for the top. (Its a folding, arch style shack, with the tarps stretched over the top.)
The only problem is that its not dark enough inside. Any suggestions on how to make it darker? We were thinking of trying to spray paint the tarps black, but werent sure if the paint would crack off or not after folding and unfolding a few times. Anyone have some tried and true methods??

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re:Ice Shanty Light
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2003, 07:54 PM »
H20-boy, if you don't mind spending money get rid of the tarp and use military grade canvas, in black. If you fish on sunny days it is not necessary to heat >:( Mine has this stuff and i love it.
If you want to be save money, and dont care about looks use a non hardening automotive undercoating.

crappieloo
Wayne C.O. N.Y. :'(

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2003, 06:00 PM »
have you tried doubling the tarp thickness, by puting another tarp over the old one and fastening it the same way?
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

bschlauch

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2003, 09:42 AM »
Thanks for the input. We thought of switching to a canvas, but were worried about the additional weight. Did your canvas add alot of weight to the shanty???

Also, we currenty have 2 tarps doubled up. We have a thicker, gray tarp on the inside, with a lighter blue tarp on the outside. Its not super bright inside, but its definately bright enought that we dont need a light to see what were doing. As you know, its good to be as dark as possible when you need it.
We have have neglegted to add additional tarps simply because connecting them to the wooden framing becomes difficult, and the connections become weaker.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2003, 05:39 PM »
H20-BOY, i just weighed my military grade canvass from my shelter, my shelter is a 1or 2 man portable flip- clam type about 45 inches wide by 5 feet long and it will be lighter and stronger than your typical canvass. 8lbs.

bschlauch

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2003, 05:59 PM »
Crappieloo...that doesnt sound to heavy to me at all. However, our shanty is somewhat bigger. Does this canvas allow any light to enter at all? Where did you find the canvas?

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2003, 06:56 PM »
A square type shelter about 5 and 1\2 feet tall by my size (around 5x4 foot will add about 2 or 3 lbs.) or 10 lbs. for this size.
It'S Compleatly dark inside if i cover my window-screen (Black Canvass)
My shelter came with it.
GO to N.Y. open water thread, and talk about open water fishin or any thing related, the post the question to TONYB.
Tight lines :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.