Author Topic: Hot Vent heaters  (Read 2992 times)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Hot Vent heaters
« on: Sep 03, 2003, 02:43 PM »
Anyone try these? (www.Zodi.com) they are supposed to put out 10,000 btus,..I HATE the air in my shelter when those other heaters are working,..(Like Mr. Buddy Heater which seems better than most) but you still get fumes and lower air amts and MOISTURE from the burning. I'm out there in part for the fresh air but I also like to stay warm,..I would love to have something burning outside the shelter,..I'm guessing they might have to be put in a weighted bucket to stop flamout in high winds but anyone ever give em a chance?

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re:Hot Vent heaters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2003, 08:45 PM »
whoa - did you check the price?  199-249?  ouch!!!!  I can stand alot of fumes from my dynaglo (which isn't too bad!) for that kind of jing!!!  They do look cool though.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2003, 06:36 AM »
Well, I see you can get the 10,000 BTU one at internet spots for under 100.00, yes the double unit is expensive. "IF" it worked well it would be worth it for me. The bigger problem is the weight of the battery and the set up.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2003, 07:04 AM »
I find that my mr. buddy heater is fine for in the shanty but very likely to go out with even the slightest breeze.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2003, 06:07 AM »
Well,..I did get one,..I'm thinking outside on a windy day it might blow out or loose a lot of btus from the wind,..I'm wondering if it really puts out 10,000 btu delivered to the tent,..it does have a feature of the intake air can come from another tube from the tent so that the air is prewarmed so you are not trying to heat below zero air to warmer temps. Yeah I can dress for warmth but I like the fact that I can bring some things in to thaw out,..I think I'm going to get a 5-8 gal plastic pail to set this in,.maybe a small amt of concrete that has a depression to set the bottle of propane to keep it from shifting and to make it wind resistant,.and bungie able to other things,..that will solve the wind from knocking the flame  out and sripping BTUS too,..(cut in holes for the input/output tubes and some for combustion air,..sounds like a lot of stuff and more wt but I really like a heat siurce that doesn't have burned gas in the tent,..also have for my garage a vented heater for my work shed,..got it from Northern Supply,..it looks great but needs a stack,...not sure how I would do that in a Shappel 3000,..not sure how hot that stack would get...haven't used that yet either and didn't really think about for the Shappel,.. just getting back to ice fishing after a long haitus....BTW I haul things out on a toboggen that I have retro fitted with a "hinge" you can fold it back onto the tobbogen if you are traveling lite or unfold it to about double it's lengh,..(long train) I got some laughs last year but some guys came over to see it and couldn't believe all the "stuff" I had with me...

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2003, 08:59 AM »
HEY,,,CRAPPIELOO those Mosquito's
must pretty tough if you need a screen in your shanty
LOL ;D   just kiddin
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2003, 05:27 PM »
The instructions on the Shappell 3000 dx say that you have to open the top zipper in both doors 8 inches to vent properly. I have no problems in mine with my buddy heater or fuel lantern.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2003, 06:22 AM »
Mark,..can you keep much/any heat in with 8 inch gaps in the Shappell tops?!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2003, 05:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip Mark, but my friend wouldn't think of unzipping the doors ??? ??? Probablly didn'T read instructions and i know he doesn't care about carbon monoxide poisoning :o...... UGH.
Thats why i won'T go in his shelter.
Crappieloo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.