Author Topic: Pull behind sleds?  (Read 9990 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pull behind sleds?
« on: Aug 27, 2003, 12:19 PM »
Do any of you use sleds to pull your gear on the ice?  I am looking for a good size sled, but don't want to pay $90.00 for one like the Polar.  Cabelas has one that is made by K-L sport.  Not a bad price either.  Any suggestions?  This will be pulled by hand because atv's and snowmobiles are not allowed on the lakes where I fish.  Thanks
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
Re:Pull behind sleds?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2003, 01:34 PM »
Bought a nice Jet Sled last year and it works great.For less than $50 and it holds all my gear.Traps,jig poles,30 pak,chair,grill,charcoal and other assorted gear.And if the snow is too soft and deep to drag my portable shanty,I just bungee it on top of the sled and off I go. A great buy last season.Good luck!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2003, 01:53 PM »
bj is right. just do your homework to make sure you get exactly what you need.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2003, 09:09 AM »
Thanks, I have seen the jed sleds, but I can't find one on-line.  I checked thornebros. and they don't carry them.  Anyone know where I can get one on-line?  Thanks.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2003, 09:14 AM »
check out cabela's.com or bass pro shops.com they may have what you need.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2003, 07:20 PM »
Check out,
Peterson Outdoors ( the forum won't print the whole e-mail address so apply the appropriate www's and .com's or just search the name.

They have the Polar sleds at $44.00..a great value with a lot of good features. They're a quality company as well..I've purchased from them many times with excellent results.

RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2003, 09:12 PM »
we use a sled thats actually intende to drag a deer out of the woods then used a bundle of lath to make a cage like sides on it and it holds all our stuff and is easy to pull I think you could get one at cabellas.. :)

Online Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2003, 07:22 PM »
Icenutter,
You can find kid's toboggans that might work if you don't have a lot of gear.  But if you're like most of us you will aquire enough stuff to need a bigger sled.  The Jet Sled brand comes in two or three sizes.  They make a hitch for pulling it behind a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.
I've got the mid sized Jet Sled and it's about right for me and my son.  If I had to take more stuff with me, I'd get the bigger model.

Good luck.
Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2003, 08:12 AM »
We must have built te original folding ice hut about 20 or so years ago It kind of looked like a coverd wagon without wheels just skies and it took a whole 10sec. to set up and the best is it only cost about 50 bucks to build. First you started with a old pair of skies then we took some aluminum and attached that to a wooden frame that was about 3x5ft and 12inch high It was built out of 3/8 plywood for the weight issue  inside this we built a box for the equiptment  about 18inches x the 3 ft x the hight of the frame this also was used as a seat and build it on one end of the sled keeping the middle open to the ice. Next take a sheet of plywood 3/8 thick cut in half to get a4x4 peice then trim to 3ft wide this will be the end walls place hinges on the bottom and screw to the base on the end where the storage box is built the end wall should fold to the middle of the sled next put the door end on take the plywood cut a door in it and hinge it to open out and away from the sled then raise the end of the frame cross section 1 inch to allow the 2 ends to fold over each other place hinges on this end to let it fold to the middle. Now we cut the top of the plywood half circle like to take off excess weight  and then placed canvas between the plywood keepin the 2 end sections vertical screw a peice of scrap wood between then this will hold the wood while you staple the canvas to the plywood after the canvas is secured take a 2x2 and cut it to fit between the 2 ends to keep the canvas tight this peice will also keep the end from folding back up this peice will go out with the sled when you go fishing . Now for the end walls we cut windows out of the Plywood to lighten the sled we went to a frabric store and bought the heavy clear table cloth material and stapled it in for the windows on the door and the back. To set up just pull up the door end, open the door pick up the back section take the 2x2 and put it near the top of the plywood push the back section and jam the 2x2 in the door end proping them both up thats all as long as the canvas is tight it will never fall over just get inside start fishing and if you want to move leave it up and just drag it wherever. When you leave pull out the 2x2 fold down the back fold the canvas in between the back and door side then fold the door over the canvas It is simple to build and works great. When all done this thing was light to pull and set up in seconds held your equipt and kept you warm and out of the wind. sorry I havent figured out how to put pictures in this forum yet otherwise I'd put in a set of plans of this thing. If someone needs help building it and knows how to get pictures up and on this forum I'd be willing to do it.
Good Luck
Cold Feet

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2003, 11:15 AM »
Just make sure the sled has tall sides on it, that way your gear will not fall out. I have used my kids toboggan with old milk crates using bunge cords to hold my gear on it. It works good!! But a bit of a pain so I got a small one at Dick's Sporting Goods for 19.99 it was alittle small but it works well. It has tall sides on it. Good luck, just buy a good shed it will pay for it self in no time.  
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2003, 03:10 PM »
Do you guys like those Jet Sleds?  I always thought they seemed pretty flimsy and cheap.  I like the otter sleds or polar sleds.  Yes, they are a bit spendy, but you could take mortar fire from inside one of them!  They are built to last  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2003, 05:18 PM »
I have a 4" sled I built for myself and use it for the quick trips otherwise I haul my trusty Fish Trap...all the comforts of home.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2003, 10:19 PM »
gotta agree with you on that though RG -  I have the polar sled, but it sits in the garage 99.99% of the time.  It comes out usually only to haul firewood or extra supplies for  big get togethers!  The fishtrap is my home away from home as well, that thing is the ultimate!!!  I think Dave Genz hit it on the head when he coined it a "bass boat on ice"  ;D

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2003, 06:16 PM »
richstick,I used my Jetsled all last season and its not flimsy at all.Costs about $48 and works great.Like I said,it carries all my gear ( which is a lot )and my portable shanty on top of it.I havent seen a polar or an otter in person (just in pics) but they all look well made.I have to vouch for the Jetsled because thats all I have seen and used.The Goatboys give it 2 fins up!! Best of luck this season. :'( :'(

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2003, 12:03 PM »
I've got a Fishtrap Voyager that I bought at the end of last season. I only got to use it a few times before it got too dangerous...great though. I especially liked it for those warm afternoons where you can leave only the back wall up to block the wind and the sun keeps you warm. Then when the sun dips below you just flip the rest over and fire up the heater. I hate the seats though.
I looked at the Otter and if it weren't for price would have bought it. It sled on the otter is better. It's got higher sides, is thicker and can float you should the ice start to break. A nice way to get a less expensive portable is to contact the company directly. They get returns and factory seconds on shacks and sleds. If you live anywhere near the company, you can drive out and pick it up and save on shipping. I don't know about the Jetsled, but the price is nice. Good luck.

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2003, 08:34 PM »
  I have the jet sled. I love it, it carries all my stuff. I do, however have troubles pulling it by hand when the snow is deep.
  What ever happened to traveling lite? :-\
  Have a good and safe season. :'(

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2003, 07:17 AM »
Otter, Polar or Jet. the choice is many but i guess a guy has to almost look at each one in person and then decide which is best for what YOU need. I know so many people who bought one mail order and then didn't care for it. I guess it comes down to doing your homework.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2003, 03:52 AM »
I have the jetsled xl . I like it better then the other jetsleds because the ice auger will fit inside it without any over hang. that makes it easy to strap my shapell shack to the top and still get the cover over the whole thing to keep snow out when moving around.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2003, 06:19 AM »
HEY JP. WHERE CAN i SEE A PICTURE OF THIS SLED. SOUNDS LIKE A NICE ONE.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2003, 07:02 AM »
JP,

That is the one I am thinking about getting.  I measured the auger last night and it is 52 inches.  The XL is 66 inches long and should work well.  

HIMO,

I found them at FISH307.com.  for 69.99 w/o shipping costs.  

mngonefishing

« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2003, 09:34 PM »
when my old sled died I just bought a 2 man pullover ice house. works great.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2003, 10:35 AM »
I got my sled at a local shop not sure where else to look. this shop has otters and jetsleds. I looked at them both and liked the jetsled better.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:32 AM »
thanks for the info icenutter. I will check it out.

himo1123

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2003, 01:20 PM »
 I went to order a Jet Sled from FISH307.com and they wanted 39.99 for the sled and 24.99 to ship the darn thing. :o  :o  This thing weighs only 12 lbs and I do understand that it is 54 inches long.  I ordered a Jiffy auger from ThorneBros. and they had free shipping.  Now if it really costs 24.99 to ship a 12 lb sled then it would cost 100 bucks for an auger.  Anyone know where I can get a Jet SLed with resonable shipping costs?

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2003, 01:59 PM »
Hey, not to sound ignorant, but can't you guys buy them at a sporting goods store in your area??  I mean, I live in a small town in northern Wisconsin, and I can drive within a two mile radius and find literally 4 sporting goods stores and 2 gas stations that sell Polar, Otter, and Jet sleds. And the prices are the same as to buy it online, even before shipping! Why pay someone to ship it to you?    Seriously though, I think that Jetsled is junk compared to the otter or polar sled.  Just my humble opinion  :)

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2003, 02:01 PM »
  Try  cabela's that is where I got mine. The shipping cost if I remember right was not as much as the fish307 is.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2003, 02:20 PM »
I have a large black plastic utility tub that I bought at Menards. It has high sides and if you are just looking to pull gear and not looking for a shelter it is hard to beat for the price. It is big and tall enough to hold a lot of gear.

I use it when going out without a shelter. I added a pull rope. I sometimes strap it on top of my Clam Junior to hold my gear.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2003, 02:53 PM »
Cabelas is just as bad.  They have the K-L Sport sleds for 34.99 and they want 6.96 standard shipping and they say to an additional 18.00 to the standerd rate for shipping costs.  Thanks for all the info.  though.  I may have to make a road trip to a Gander Mountain.  Anyone know if Gander Mountains in PA carry the Jet Sleds or any other sleds?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.