Author Topic: Deep creek bait shops?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Spaceman

• IceShanty Rookie
Deep creek bait shops?
« on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Been about 5 years since I've been down to hit thebice at deep creek.  Last time I had trouble finding a local baitshop. Mainly looking for minnows and shiners.  I was sent to nicklows about 30 min from the lake.  My question is any new local places open in the last 5 years?

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Deep creek bait shops?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:34 AM »
I had the same question as you.  I moved to MD last summer. Sadly I only had a chance to I fish once last winter in Deep Creek, but at least I was able to get out. 
Back to your question.  I've also been looking into bait shops around Deep creek.  Sadly I haven't been able to find any.  There was one there that recently closed down.  The only other place that sells minnows or flatheads in up in southern PA.  About 45mins north of Deep Creek.  It's called Nicklows.  They do sell bait to individuals on small quantities even though it's a wholesaler.

Additionally I have found that any/all bait shops from Frederick to Deep Creek don't open prior to 8am.  I guess I was spoiled in MA as my local bait shop in Arlington MA used to open up at 4am for all of us die-hard ice fishing freaks.

All that being said, it's only a matter of days before ice at Deep Creek is solid enough to fish...

FLAGS!!

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Deep creek outfitters usually has minnows and shiners. Last year they carried maggots as well. Pretty expensive though. I usually go to nicklows and buy a few pounds then bring them home and keep in a cooler. Saves me from having to wait for them to open so I can catch the early sunrise bite. Good luck.
Y'all catchin?

Offline ultangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Dittos on Deep Creek Outfitters, though it's not a 100% reliable thing. I drive 3.5 hrs to get there so I always call ahead, and while most of the time they do have them, a couple of times they haven't and calling ahead saved me from disaster.
Mid-Atlantic anglers, check out FishTalk Magazine - we cover ice fishing, too!

Offline Spaceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  sounds like the same deal from before. ill prob just buy some bulk up here before I head down. I don't like to wait to get my bait. Usually setting up hour before daylight. I always did good down there first light.  hope to be out soon.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Yeah unfortunately the best thing to do is buy in bulk and have your own bait shop at home. I usually end up going to Baltimore for work a couple times a month and get bait there.

Offline BigfettsSTLD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:01 PM »
There is a bait shop close to Cumberland Maryland about 40 mins east of deep creek he opens early if you give him a heads up and he sells them by the pound. He has a big assortment of ice fishing gear and bait. It's called Poor Bob's Bait and Tackle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.