Author Topic: Gas augers  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Seapimp

• IceShanty Rookie
Gas augers
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:02 PM »
I’m looking for opinions on gas augers looking to buy a new gas auger 8” what’s people’s opinions on best one for $350 ish . Thanx I know everybody has personal preference just trying to get info and feedback on the new ones . Just getting back into ice fishing after about a 25 yr hiatus .
It's not the amount of years in a life,it's the amount life in the years!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gas augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:57 AM »
I have owned the same jiffy 3 hp for 25 or so years and I got it used, has never failed me but if I were to do it again I would go electric (which I still might) and I think that will be alot of suggestions you get..

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:30 AM »
I have owned the same jiffy 3 hp for 25 or so years and I got it used, has never failed me but if I were to do it again I would go electric (which I still might) and I think that will be alot of suggestions you get..
i too have owned a jiffy 3 hp for two decades and never let me down ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Me too, bought my Eskimo 25+ years ago in your state (Candia or Hooksett) and still running great. Also consider Craigslist, seen some great deals with people moving towards electric augers. 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:54 AM »
You can't beat a Jiffy.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Bought a 10" Eskimo Barracuda some years back, and haven't used it in over 3 years.
It worked, but was a pain to haul around, so I just hand auger where ever I go.
I have an 8" and a 6" hand auger, and have yet to bottom out.
It is a challenge when you get 2'+ of ice, but it gives you a real good upper body workout.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Not sure where you're located but Kittery trading post has Jiffy eight inch gas augers for 299.00

I’m looking for opinions on gas augers looking to buy a new gas auger 8” what’s people’s opinions on best one for $350 ish . Thanx I know everybody has personal preference just trying to get info and feedback on the new ones . Just getting back into ice fishing after about a 25 yr hiatus .

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:37 PM »
I broke down a few years ago and bought an Eskimo Shark Z51.  It works great and although a bit heavy to drag on the sled, does an excellent job.  I bought it off season from some place in the mid west.  I used google to find the best deal and have never had a problem with it.  When I found out my local bait shop was an Eskimo dealer I told him what I paid and he almost fainted.  This was 5 years ago and I got it shipped to my house for less than $200.  It was brand new in the box but it had been a warm season and the place I bought it from just wanted to dump their stock.  My pop up shelter gave up the ghost this year so I used google again and got an Eskimo Fatfish 646 ice shelter shipped to my house for $179.  It was a prior year model that had been used as an in store demo but had nothing wrong and all the parts were there and pretty much pristine.  Just because something costs $$$ near you it doesn't mean it can't be had for less if you put in some effort scouring the internet.  Lots of prices are going up because of the tariff  situation with China but what's here already and things like last years demo can save you some money to spend on more important things like bait and gas.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Plenty of used ones on Craigslist, probably from people who switched to electric

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Plenty of used ones on Craigslist, probably from people who switched to electric
Yep, where you use to find hand augers in numbers, now gas augers are popping up steadily and the hand augers are fewer or bought up quickly lol.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Purchased a Jiffy Propane a few years back and been very pleased with it -- no messing with gas and the one pound cylinders last much longer than you would expect...!

Offline Seapimp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Thanx guys . Looking at all the options ,gas  propane and electric.   Torn bicep and rotor cuff my handauger and chiseling days are over .
It's not the amount of years in a life,it's the amount life in the years!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:08 AM »
My first auger was a Jiffy Model 30.  Heavy but when I could get the carb adjusted just right ripped through ice like nobodys business.  Carrying it around made my back hurt.

About 5 years ago I bought a Jiffy Propane Pro4 Lite.  At the time I was living in a townhouse and the old model 30 would stink up the house like 2 stroke gas.  My wife got mad!  Thats when I bought the propane auger.  That was a nice auger and not as heavy.  Ran great!  I sold it to a friend.

Last year I jumped on the K-drill / milwaukee train.  Its an awesome set up.  My back no longer hurts.  Starts every time!  Super light to drag out and carry.  Everyone else with a gas / propane auger wants to use it!  Win / Win!  I will not be going back to a gas or propane auger ever.  Buy this setup and cry once.  Buy something else and have auger envy everytime you see one of these.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Jiffy model 30 is kind of the ‘standard’. I upgraded to a pro 4 but still have my old model 30 as back up. And it still does the job when called upon. Prob about 20 years old now. Do yourself a favor with any 2 stroke gas auger and feed it Tru Fuel only. Save yourself a world of headaches and carb issues.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Jiffy model 30 is kind of the ‘standard’. I upgraded to a pro 4 but still have my old model 30 as back up. And it still does the job when called upon. Prob about 20 years old now. Do yourself a favor with any 2 stroke gas auger and feed it Tru Fuel only. Save yourself a world of headaches and carb issues.
Seconding the Trufuel, I run run the 40:1 in my Strikemaster and have never had an issue with the engine. It's expensive, but comes pre-mixed and gives you peace of mind from potential ethanol problems.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Third on the truefuel..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.