Author Topic: Its Here!!  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Its Here!!
« on: Nov 18, 2018, 02:32 PM »
First real ice in the north country.  Probably 2 inches of clear ice shore to shore on
200 acre lake.   Nothing deeper than 19 ft so it probably turned over faster than some of our deeper lakes.   I'm going to give it a week before I test it under my fat but ;D
One smaller trout pond has been frozen for a week.  I don't fish stocked trout very much but I want some yellow perch badly.
Dick

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Its Here!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2018, 03:01 PM »
DB, looks good -you go first and if there is no hole out there I'll venture out ! :)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:55 AM »
 ??? Will look good after Turkey Day.  What do vermont fishers do  until January?   I will fish Champlain ,but not until end of February.   As you know, some NH stocked trout ponds are open year round and those here in the north have first ice cover.
Hard to imagine living in Vt and not being able to fish a local pond with thick ice?
Dick

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Come on Dick, I fished Saturday just got to stay shallow. haha .Good luck this season, hope to fish with yea. Bait will be in soon

-Chris

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:53 AM »
 Chris  ::)  As I remember it you have secret small pond for first ice?   You are also much skinnier than I am.    I hope to hunt perch and crappie this winter so I count on you stocking lots of small shiners.
Artic ice maker on its way for Thanksgiving  ;D :tipup:
Dick

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Next three days. 7, 4, and 11 degrees.  :o

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:59 PM »
wooot! I'm going to try to take advance this weekend (carefully)...long range forecast has temps above freezing next week so it may be a little oasis of early season fun until the real ice settles in. Put the boat away on Veteran's day so the itch is uncontrollable lol.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:19 AM »
I pass by a lot of water on my drive to work and today was the first day all 5 of them were locked completely! I think we are onto something here. I am planning on loading the truck Saturday evening and driving north until I find some hardwater I can stand on!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I pass by a lot of water on my drive to work and today was the first day all 5 of them were locked completely! I think we are onto something here. I am planning on loading the truck Saturday evening and driving north until I find some hardwater I can stand on!

Shoot me a PM if your hunting.  I have a couple spots in mind for Saturday.  Take me 4-5 hrs to get up there.  I will be on ice in NY in 2 days!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Do you guys think the warm rain arriving after our cold front will ruin things?
Tight Lines!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Snow on top of skinny ice needs  some rain to turn it into white ice.   Otherwise the fluffy snow just limits the affect of the ice making temps.
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:25 PM »

Impossible to answer at this point.  First fishable ice needs to be had.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Minus 8 this morning in the Franconia/Littleton area -- wouldn't trust it yet, but shouldn't be too long if it stays below freezing...!!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2018, 02:30 PM »
 ;D :tipup: :tipup:  Followed foot prints and holes at half dozen Franconia /Lancaster ponds this afternoon.  Snow is gone and ice is super hard and 4 inches or more. 
I don't think that four days of cold snow, rain, and sleet will do more than turn it into a glassy ice rink this week. 
BUT!  Remember to always chisel as you go and keep ice spikes around your neck.  A friend and rope are always good.
Dick

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Yessir, she s early this year. Walked on some 2-3 inches of ice on the shoreline of a pond in the hanover w leb area. cant wait like the rest of ya

Offline Zachbfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I saw a guy fishing a pond in concord today. He said there was 4 inches of ice. I saw his spud holes and it looked accurate so i hopped out there and it was at least 4 inches. Its a very small pond that doesnt get much sunlight. I think ill still wait a few weeks myself

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2018, 06:44 PM »
 ??? Small shallow ponds turn over early and freeze quickly.   Even north country ponds with 40 ft. of water are having a hard time to make safe ice anywhere other then shorelines.  I'm going to wait at least another week if we get any warm rain this week.  Local trout ponds seem to have lots of ice.
The small coves on Moore reservoir haven't even threatened to freeze over :'( :tipup:
Dick

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Had 3-4 inches near ossippee today. Coves has ice but main part of the lake had open water. Chased flags all day, laid down on the ice, made new friends, got some exercise! How I’ve missed it.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Nice fish good to see you out there
Wait there's ice????

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:55 PM »
Had 3-4 inches near ossippee today. Coves has ice but main part of the lake had open water. Chased flags all day, laid down on the ice, made new friends, got some exercise! How I’ve missed it.
Heck yeah!! I miss it as well. Way to get out there! Wanted to make the trip to get some lines wet today as well, but filled my last tag and added some freezer meat instead.
Hopefully the rain doesn't kill it.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:53 AM »
4" here on a small pond near Washington NH. Fished for like 5 min. Hopefully it will make it through this bit of rain the next day or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.