Author Topic: Inside or Outside Turns???  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Inside or Outside Turns???
« on: Nov 17, 2018, 11:29 AM »
 :tipup: ::) ::) Just listened to ice pro guide talking about best fishing at "inside turns".  Confused I went to web site about definition of inside and outside contour turns.  Became pretty obvious that even the pros were confused?  For many decades fishermen have simply chases fish at coves or points.  I feel that there are no inside and outside turns other than when you are traveling down stream over an obvious channel.  A cove on your right would provide a inside turn while the left side of the channel would provide a outside turn.  On huge lakes there are few obvious channels thus NO inside or outside turns. 
So, unless someone can convince me otherwise I think it most fruitful to fish points , coves ,sunken islands or holes with obvious depth changes.  OK!  On Champlain we search out wrecks and old cribs.
Looking for some high tech advice from gizmo owners with all the apps that I don't understand.
Dick

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Inside or Outside Turns???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Hi Dick,

The inside and outside turns may or may not be reflected by the shoreline.  What they are talking about would be the contour lines on a lake map.  These contour lines map out the changes of the bottom structure of a lake bottom.  A submerged ridge end will produce an outside turn or bend in the contour lines.  This may very well be in the middle if the lake.  An inside bend may reflect the end if a deep spot or hole.  Study detailed lake  maps whether electronic or paper and you will find many inside and outside turns to fish.  Good luck.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2018, 03:01 PM »
 ;D Thank for the help.  Guess I'm just too used to working with highway curves that have a beginning and end as well as inside and outside.  I guess that's why I can relate to river channels or obvious lake channels?  It also seems that it might be hard to locate far reaching and complicated lake contours on foot and without Navionics and GPS on an IPhone?
For now Ill use the Navionics web app to point me to holes and humps.
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:02 PM »
You'll be fine Dick as long as you remember the frosted donuts!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:10 PM »
You would surprised how well you could do it without electronics.  I started off with a good Bizer lake chart and a lead Sounder.    Using the shoreline as a reference guide and orienting the lake chart correctly you could easily find inside bends.  The reason they are liked so much by fisherman is that areas like this are used by fish to coral baitfish just like in a cove or in the shallows up against the ice.  Good luck this year, tight lines.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2018, 08:16 PM »
 ::)
You'll be fine Dick as long as you remember the frosted donuts!

Long ago I located the inside curve of the secret  frosted donuts.  ;D
Dick

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10:17 PM »

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2018, 09:07 AM »
 ;D :tipup:  Thanks great video.  Makes me wish that NH has stocked Moore Reservoir with walleye!!    Also wish that Moore Reservoir and Comerford had contour maps?
Now I know that I need snow machine and underwater camera!!  My wife says NO.
If I fish Winni this winter I'll try to locate best contours within a few hundred yards of shore.
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Fish cant eat contour lines.  Important to remember that the bathymetry is only one variable.  If there is not forage, inside or outside turn is not relevant.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Fish cant eat contour lines.  Important to remember that the bathymetry is only one variable.  If there is not forage, inside or outside turn is not relevant.

You must jig a little. lol
Just add water.

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I believe there’s more variables than that. I have found though that inside turns can be really productive especially at the base of a sharp drop with current going by. It gives the fish a place to get out of the current and ambush anything going by

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2018, 03:40 PM »
 ??? ???  Determining inside and outside turns would seem to be a whole other complication.   Doing downstream a  turn might be inside while going upstream it might be an  outside curve??   Big lakes with sunken islands and holes might provide easier determination of inside and outside?   With current and channel you might have to decide whether the fish are oriented upstream or downstream!
When is an inside turn really an outside turn and are the baitfish there in the first place.   Is the boundary of a sunken island or pot hole both an inside turn and an outside turn??
Who cares about a contour in 40 ft. of water when all of the fish are suspended 5 ft. under the ice??
Bathometric maps are useful but I depend more on my flasher telling me whether there are fish or NO FISH.
I just hope it never gets too easy to find and catch fish! :o
Dick

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:14 PM »
When trolling close to shore on a lake I would think of an inside turn as being an area where a steam enters a lake due to topography  and or erosion  and an outside turn would be a point.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:28 PM »
When trolling on a lake. your leadcore's will drop on an inside turn and rise on the outside turns due to speed of lines.
And, that's all I gotta say about that!  ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2018, 04:18 PM »
When trolling on a lake. your leadcore's will drop on an inside turn and rise on the outside turns due to speed of lines.
And, that's all I gotta say about that!  ;D

True but if you’re trolling two lines, one out each side, no matter which way you turn the line on the outside of the turn speeds up and loses depth and the line on the inside gains depth and slows down.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2018, 11:41 PM »
True but if you’re trolling two lines, one out each side, no matter which way you turn the line on the outside of the turn speeds up and loses depth and the line on the inside gains depth and slows down.
You're correct mowbizz.
You said exactly what I did, while using a little different verbiage.
While turning starboard, your starboard lines will be the inside turns and your port lines will be the outside turns. Visa versa when turning port.
Easy to see and understand if you draw a picture.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:19 AM »
You're correct mowbizz.
You said exactly what I did, while using a little different verbiage.
While turning starboard, your starboard lines will be the inside turns and your port lines will be the outside turns. Visa versa when turning port.
Easy to see and understand if you draw a picture.

Yes we were both correct! The only difference was with your comment it appeared that you were implying trolling one line! Sometimes you get hits on those turns too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.