Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Gettin' started.  (Read 2597 times)

BigDaddy

Gettin' started.
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:26 PM »
 Hey ice bangers!

I am new to the hard water world and am eager to get going. I am starting out with the basic setup. You know, Rod, reel, long johns, insulated cover-alls and boots.
 Any advice is appreciated. If anyone is in SW IA and wants to teach a green horn, drop me a line.

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Gettin' started.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2003, 10:26 AM »
Hey BigDaddy you might want to go to this site http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/ and ask that ?.There's guys from that side of the state on there that might help you out.I'm in east central Iowa or I would.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 07:26 AM »
Big Daddy-  Welp, sounds like you have the basics covered.  Where do you plan to fish...lakes (which ones), ponds?  That would be my first question.  I can try to steer you in the right direction, but need a little more to go from.  Basically, if you have a rod/reel, some jigs, some waxies, and something to make a hole in the ice with you can do ok.  However, a little more can really put a lot on the ice as well.  Get a flasher depth finder also...I run a vexilar fl-18, but before that I was using an old Silent-sixty one flasher....not as nice, but it worked just fine.  You would be shocked at how much good a flasher will do you on the ice.  If we ever get ice around, I would be glad to show you some of my tactics and pass along more info.  

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:03 PM »
Hi Gang!
Go to arrowheads and see what I told him .  You have to think saftey before you fish.
  Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.