Author Topic: Hard water in the Cache Valley vicinity  (Read 4031 times)

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hard water in the Cache Valley vicinity
« on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:10 AM »
I will be in Logan from around the 20th to the 28th and am looking for some ice.  Last time I was there, the guy at the fly shop on the south side of town said that people were fishing at Mantua and some lake/res east of Franklin or Preston.  The ice was pretty sketchy after xmas last year so I just stayed home instead.  This cold front is looking good for ice though, so I really want to hit some this year. 

Any suggestions on good spots to catch some fish, preferably something other than trout?  I like trout, but some variety in my life would be fun.

thanks!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hard water in the Cache Valley vicinity
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Mantua is getting harder now after that warm spell . I think it is your best choice too . I fished it last year after Christmas . I hear it has 3 to 4" of ice but there are methane holes (bubbler's) to watch out for . Trout :cutts and rainbows , Bluegills , Perch , Largemouth and a few smallmouth can be caught there . There are a few lakes up around woodruff that have ice but may need a snowmobile to get to them by then and they have trout . I keep a ear for more and report . I know Strawberry should be good to go by then but I think it is 180 miles from Logan but the fishing will be hot for big cutts . Lot of people from Cache Co.go up to Idaho to fish Daniels Res. by Malad and I hear it is capped but only trout in that water . Hyrum might get a cap if it get cold for a bit longer and it is closer to Logan . Willard might be a option but right now they are draining the lake to do dam repairs . Newton Res. I hear is starting to cap so it might be ready by the time you get here . Just hope for some more cold .
Utah Ice

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:52 PM »
One thing I forgot to tell you was not to park on the dike at Mantua . If you do you will find a ticket on your vehicle . Parking at the boat ramp is the most popular spot to park .
Utah Ice

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I hit Weston in Idaho today and caught some bows and perch.  Got a 3 day Idaho license, so will be fishing there for the nest 2 days as well.  Stopped by Newton on the way home  Still some open patches and the ice looked a little sketchy, but I didn't have time to see how thick it was.  I'll probably hit Mantua early next week.

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:38 PM »
I can't believe they wont let you say "D I K E" on here but don't park there . Newton had a fish kill 3 years ago because of low water so it is on the rebound and not many reports from there anymore . Hyrum is trying to cap now but may not be safe for a while .
Utah Ice

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I headed back up to Idaho for day 2 and hit Glendale.  Caught perch (3 -9"), bows (12-16"), bass (14-17") and one tiny bluegill.  My best day fishing in a long time!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I might be able to hit the ice with you . Let me know when you venture to Mantua . Lots of water holes capped this past week so there are too many to fish all at once . Pineview Res. is reported as capped but no one on the ice yet . Tiger muskies , perch , crappie , gills, trout and black bass cruise this water .
Utah Ice

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Looks like I will have to save Mantua til next year.  The rain and ice is hitting tomorrow afternoon, so we're headed back to Wyo in the a.m. to miss the icy mess that will likely be Wednesday.  I'm definitely up for an ice meetup next year though, weather willing.  I'll post up again before Christmas next year and check in.  Hope it stays cold enough for you to have a nice season here in Utah.

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2006, 12:12 AM »
I'll look forward to it next year . Good luck and have a safe trip . I'll be punching holes tomorrow morning for big trout .
Utah Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.