The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Power Auger Recommendations  (Read 2025 times)

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
Power Auger Recommendations
« on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:55 AM »
I find myself in need of a new power auger. I would prefer it to be light. Anyone here have any recommendations ?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Power Auger Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Ion.
Or cordless hammer drill, depending what size you need.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I have a Milwaukee drill (non hammer as the M18 brushless driver is the same torque as the hammer model, but $40 less, and 1/2 lb lighter) with a 8 inch eskimo pistol bit. I love it so far. I am probably 150 holes into it this year, and its cutting great even with me drilling into mud the first day i tried it (thin ice shallower than I thought). Total package is under 10lb, and I can beat my buddy who has a 6 inch on a clam plate. Can be a beast on the wrists if you are not paying attention, but I have yet to find that to be a major issue, especially since the drill comes with an extra handle (that I have not used but may when we get to 20 inches ice). I got the drill for $129, bit for $190, and was using batteries I already had for my impact, though i did just also buy a 12ah milwaukee battery, but my 4 year old 4ah battery that I treat like crap got me something like 40 holes in 8 inches of ice, and was still going strong. The 12 has drilled 30 holes through 8-10 in last few days and has been left in truck, and still shows 3/4 battery, and didnt miss a beat sitting in snow at 7 degrees yesterday.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I have a Dewalt 20V brushless drill hooked to a 6" fin bore auger by a machined 16" extender. Works great and since I set it up last year my Tanaka powered Nils is sitting in the cellar. Cuts all day on one battery.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Are you fishing for panfish  (i.e.) a 4.5 inch auger or lakers/pike a 8-10 inch auger? Cordless drills work great for small holes  but dont drill 10 inchers very well. Ion x is a good auger for 8/10 inch holes. I also have a jiffy propane which has given me troubles and wouldn't recommend.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Great point. I fish almost exclusively for panfish so use a 6" for that. The pike and laker guys need the 10" and that would be a chore with a cordless drill setup. I liked the Dewalt because it has a rugged handle. I think the Milwaukee fuel is probably a more powerful drill but the handle isn't that rugged. have a few friends who had trouble with them breaking off. There is a lot of torque so I wouldn't recommend using a drill setup without that handle.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:31 PM »

Offline Bigunit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I've been drilling with an ION auger for the last 5 years.  Light, powerful and reliable.  Awesome auger.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Rigid 18V BL Octane Hammer Drill with 9ah battery and 8 inch Strikemaster Lazer. 

Been out with it 6 times.  Light weight.  Cuts super fast.  No bind at the bottom of the hole.  Like butter.   

Want to buy a 10 inch Eskimo Mako 43 cc?  I'll give you a heck of a deal.  It works fine but I doubt I'll ever use it again. 

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Ion. You will not be disappointed.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:04 PM »
This is my 3rd year with the 8" Ion.  I'm quite pleased with it.  I sure like those 8" holes, too.

My impression is that you can do the drill thing cheaper and lighter. 

The website says it weighs 22 lbs, which seems about right, but if you're trying to shave off pounds I'd check to make sure that includes the battery.

I can't see a reason that anyone would even consider a gas auger, these days, unless it was free.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I just attached my new octane drill to the clam plate and my 8” lazer will arrive Friday. Tomorrow is my last day fishing 6” holes!

Rigid 18V BL Octane Hammer Drill with 9ah battery and 8 inch Strikemaster Lazer. 

Been out with it 6 times.  Light weight.  Cuts super fast.  No bind at the bottom of the hole.  Like butter.   

Want to buy a 10 inch Eskimo Mako 43 cc?  I'll give you a heck of a deal.  It works fine but I doubt I'll ever use it again.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:46 AM »
I have used the same eksimo shark z51 for the last 8 years with no issues. Love that auger. Had to replace the grommit in the fuel tank a few years ago as i had a leak from where the fuel line goes through the tank. It has never made a trip onto a frozen lake and not started. I like the idea of all these new lighter weight drill combos people are using however if u dont own a noce drill already the price seems a little high for the weight reduction and keeping battery’s charged and warm can be a bit of a problem on a job site let alone on the ice with no power. Just my opinion but i love my Eskimo!!!

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:11 AM »
For panfish I go small. I’m running a 5” auger powered by a Makita 18v drill which I set on the lowest setting for maximum torque. I always have multiple batteries on hand and rarely need to swap them out.

It’s very light and very powerful and I’ve had no problem pulling up the unexpected bigger fish and landed em’

Plus in the off season you can use your drill to work on your house or other projects whereas the Ion will mostly sit on the shelf. Both are really nice options it really comes down to your target.

I also agree with troutcrazy:with the engineering of cordless tools paired with superior batteries why own a gas powered machine.  Unless of coarse you are drilling over 100 holes through 3’ if ice.
 :o

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:54 AM »
The ion auger weighs like 8 pounds more than most gas augers. I figured theyd be lighter

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Ion all the way. Pricey-ish, but you get whatyou pay for.
Major pluses for me:  1) no sore shoulders   2) no gas smell    3)  No noise

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:02 PM »
I got a rigid 18v on the clam plate with a 6 inch strike master auger. It’s light and cuts nice and easy plus is very good on battery life. I use my jiffy 8” propane auger for pike fishing 😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:15 PM »
The ion auger weighs like 8 pounds more than most gas augers. I figured theyd be lighter

Gas auger that weighs 14 lbs?  Where?

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I have a 6"mora I converted to fit an Eskimo z71, cuts great, but loud and heavy
I found a $25 conversion for mora to cordless drill & I already have a ridgid 18volt for work with 4 batteries. No Brainer twenty five bucks to join the electric auger revolution
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline flagup2033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Hi I have used gas Eskimo and strike masters for years love the strike master 10” just picked up the new ion 10” 40 volt
Thing is excellent I’ve drilled 40 holes haven’t charged the battery yet . It has 2 led light and reverse and weighs 22 lbs

Offline Mr.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2019, 02:51 PM »
My wife got me a CLAM auger drill plate for Christmas. I ordered the Dewalt 991 drill. Tried it out yesterday with a 7" hand auger hooked up. Very impressed. Bored 9 holes through 6 in of ice in about a minute. I will update when I try the 9" auger off of the Jiffy

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:29 AM »
I bought my son a 6" mini Nero kit for Christmas and bought myself a Dewalt 996 hammer drill.  Got to test it out a couple of times so far and they are both impressive!!  The Nero is effortless as a hand auger and is just plain awesome when hooked up to the Dewalt!  Drilled around 20 holes on Saturday through 8" of ice and the battery said it was still fully charged. 

I really can't see me ever buying a power auger if one of my OLD Jiffy's ever dies.  It will be something battery powered.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Has anyone tried the Eskimo Pistol bit for a cordless drill? Heard it is easier on battery life than the Kdrill.... JW- thanks.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:10 PM »
I have one and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I will be posting a review of it later. I typed one up a couple days ago but forgot to post it.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Thank you! I will look forward to seeing it. Glad to hear it works. We are using the K drill currently but you can never have enough gear.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:39 PM »
I'm still using my old Mora fin bore  Armstrong....never lets me down  ;D

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:21 PM »

Has anyone tried the Eskimo Pistol bit for a cordless drill? Heard it is easier on battery life than the Kdrill.... JW- thanks.
[/quote]

Has anyone here had a problem with battery life while using a K-Drill? I have yet to run a battery down much less kill one with my K-Drill.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:56 AM »
i have a new jiffy lite propane 8 inch and love it.  i beleive its 27 lbs and very well balanced everyone that has used it has now ordered one.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:24 AM »
i have a new jiffy lite propane 8 inch and love it.  i beleive its 27 lbs and very well balanced everyone that has used it has now ordered one.

They are a decent auger buddy I fish with has one.
When it gets real cold its best to fill your own bottles that you know has the methanol mixed in.
Pretty much go all season on 3 bottles of propane.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Nate,

A guy I work with says get a Kdrill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.