Author Topic: When pulling a sled  (Read 17113 times)

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
When pulling a sled
« on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I'm assuming that with a larger sled, packed full of gear, your gonna wanna be pulling it with an atv  or ski doo right?

Just wondering because I will more then likely have neither. I'm sure I could pull it myself, but really for how long? I'd rather not pull 100+ lbs of gear more than a mile or two by hand! I don't think anyway.

Advice?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: When pulling a sled
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2014, 11:13 PM »
couple hundred feet if lucky..  how i do it is find some were that you can gain access threw either from road side parking or some other means close buy and hike in  here is a Canadian lake map listing from a lot of the lake in Manitoba Canada . see link for maps they cost about $7.95 each ... that and if you got a gps and a maps to go with like  programs for the gps.   maybe study them  and find close access to honey holes that may produce... crappie are going to be in the shallows 15-20 fow walleye deep and lake trout deeper walleye do hunt flats and weed lines or weedy edges for prey. like perch and minnows. you can set tip ups along weed edges.   this is ware those books i suggested  will help with studying these maps or any map and help figure out the lakes.. now would be a time to explore with canoe or boat to find weed edges etc ...on the lake that hold the fish you seek... if you got a gps then mark those locations best you can. 

http://www.canadamapsales.com/en/catalogue/AnglingMaps/ManitobaLakes/ManitobaListing/index.html

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:24 AM »
Solution Smitty sled..... http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0  this the main thread ...many other threads to explore happy building ....and yes they truly work ..important note you must have a 16 foot or so rope ...good waxed skis

other option is Hyfax installed on your sled I would still go with a Smitty sled first  .I have a medium Otter sled ..very tough pulling loaded on its own ...now my Jet sled pulls much easier...add the Smitty and all equals out .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:15 AM »
yep, make a smitty sled. get a pair of ski's cheap, don't have to be anything special. One word to the wise, make it as wide as you can to keep from tipping over in rough terrain. The Smitty inspired sled I made tips over in deeper snow cuz it's too narrow.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Also with the Smitty keep the weight towards the rear ...I made mine out of 2"x6"x12" for the risers and 2"x3" for the cross braces(saved a lil weight as opposed to 2x4) ..placed the back of the rear riser 1 foot from the end of the ski...with the cross brace's center approximately  14 or so inches from skis end ..the front riser placement is going to be based on ski length and preference ..but remember weight toward the rear ..not certain how high you can go with the riser ie: 2"x8" or 2"x 10" or 2"x12"  before being top heavy gets to be a real concern ..I don't get that much snow (except this past season) to warrant a taller riser ...other location my differ...used mine on a 1/3 of a mile trek(very loaded w/gear) with such ease ...prior trips(no smitty) had to scale down quite a bit
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Well, if you have to pull it, get a harness.

I tried the Clam harness and broke it.  Some guys use a deer drag harness.  I was thinking about trying one from the fitness industry this season. 

This one caught my eye...

http://www.fringesport.com/products/ofw-universal-sled-harness

Q

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Another vote for the Smitty sled here .....  i routinely walk a mile plus with a loaded up 2 man clam set up on my smitty sled.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:28 AM »
As for a harness I use an old golf bag strap nicely padded and strong, as for cheap ski's try a goodwill store or a resale shop. Good luck.
Ross
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:36 AM »
When I had to pull out a Clam 5600, I used longer ropes and a climbing harness with carabiners.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2014, 11:06 AM »
smitty sleds are the way to go. they pull like theres nothing behind you and are easy to make. also i got my skis for free by calling the local ski shops and asking if they had any they were throwing away. heres the link i posted picks on:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=27007.msg2539541#msg2539541
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:29 PM »
don't forget the snow shoes! smitty sled are one of those thing i just kind of step back looked at it and said  "huh" to. i am sure they work  but i just never made one.  so don't know for sure my self.     any how don't for get the snow shoes i  think every one builds there smittys out of down hill skis ? not cross country? so not sure how easy it will be to find those for you?     

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:09 AM »
I like the wider downhill ski's because I figure they would "float" your gear up higher on top of the snow... know what I mean.... sort of. But I've seen pictures of guys on cross country sleds pulling pulk sleds. I figured cc skis would do just as good a job on a smitty sled but could be harder to fit in the back of the truck. heck, I cut a foot off the down hill ski's I used just to make them fit better for my use. I have snowshoes but wondered if using cc ski's might not be a better idea for traveling longer distances through the snow pulling a smitty sled. Anyone try it?

Using a drag harness is a good idea, I got an idea from a do it yourself pulk sled site I found last year. using 1" dia. pvc instead of rope and crossing it in the middle gives it extra control somehow and attaching it to a belt from an old alice pack( I'm attaching mine to my old hunting back pack). Goes around the middle instead of over your shoulders. Keeps you from straining your back by using your core and legs instead of shoulders and back.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I think the downhill skis are what most if not all use...the narrower cross country skis wouldn't distribute the weight efficiently ...also the center arc/bow just adds to that inefficiently 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2014, 10:01 AM »
You definitely want downhill skis for the smitty sled  ;)    .....  and older downhill skis are a dime a dozen now so start looking and don't pay more than $5 or $10 for a pair.

Snowshoes are a must have also if the snow gets deep or crusty.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2014, 10:14 AM »
C'mon guys! Pulling a sled is easy!  When there is no snow... :-\ 

This last winter we had snow almost all season and it was deep.  Not something that happens regularly in NE Indiana.

I remember a number of trips dragging and I had to stop every 100 feet to catch my friggin breath.  Not to mention the sweat that ensues and then gets you cold.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline dmm26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Looking like the smitty sled is the way to go, and A LOT cheaper!

I'll plan one out this week and build it :-)

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Smitty sled & an ALICE pack frame. Can't beat it.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Heck I have to stop to catch my breath sled or no sled. Find some young guys and take them fishing. They pull better and longer than us older guys.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:08 PM »
First and last ice I drag about 80 lbs as much as a mile 1 way , the smitty is the way to go

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Heck I have to stop to catch my breath sled or no sled. Find some young guys and take them fishing. They pull better and longer than us older guys.
Ding, Ding, Ding. Ladies and Gentlemen, We have a winner :clap: :clap: :clap:. Best idea yet!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:04 AM »
"Take a kid fishing" ..."and let'em drag your gear"....so that's what that slogans true point is ..a buddys kid had to drag my "fully loaded" Otter sled (pre Smitty sled) up a long steep boat ramp once ...thank god for him otherwise I would have given my sled a Viking funeral right then and there ..Smitty Sleds Rock!!!! :flex: :flex: :flex:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Your not kidding , these days I have lightened up the first and last ice load to 80 lbs , which helps a great deal , getting old , does have advantages and disadvantages , smittys Rule

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2015, 11:26 AM »
I pull my sled all the time furthest I'll go is 1 mile 1 way. I got some straps for free that are kinda like seatbelt strapsthey have a loop on each end I run the strap through the loop sling it across my right shoulder to my left arm pit then I do the other strap the same across my other side and attach the straps to the sleds string with carabeaner clip. This puts more space between me and the sled giving me leverage and puts no strain on my arms...used to feel like I was going to rip my arm off after a while. Using a thick strap say 3+ inches wide helps keep strain off the areas the strap crosses your body. I have been wanting to build a Smitty for years just haven't found the motivation to actually do it. Like others said a longer rope helps alot o harness of some kind helps a ton and a Smitty sled pulls like a dream. The things to consider is drag and leverage making a Smitty reduces drag greatly helps the sled float as apossed to plow and being able to use your upper body for leverage works great. In fact last year I pulled my father in law around the lake all day he's about 220lbs and can hardly walk anymore but loves to fish. It wasn't easy but wouldn't have been possible without the long straps.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:49 PM »
I use a fall protection harness from work which I modified a little......works great !

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I think the final solution is to combine the ideas below:

1. Don't take a lot of crap! Heavy sleds pull hard and load hard.

2. Build a Smitty! cuts the effort down by 5:1 at least

3. Wax your skis like a racer! Save another 25%

4. Get an old pack Frame and use the belt, or some other type of pulling harness

5. Put the above harness on a young guy and dangle a beer in front of his nose until you reach the fishing spot.

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.