Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 255938 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:21 PM »
Someone had removed my original thread (from Oct 27, 2004) full of usefull info so I'll start over again.

Click here for Old FT Tips Board

Last season I recieved a few PM's asking advise on rigging the Fish Traps. Yesterday I recieved an e-mail with a few questions so I figured I would start a post with some tips and hopefully others will add to it. ;D

1)Instead of tying the pull rope thru the holes I added SS eye bolts and SS fender washers.
2)On the rear I did the same (SS eye bolts, fender washers) for a tie down point for my anchors on windy days. I use brass snap connectors tied to the end of the anchor ropes for a quick connect/disconnect.

Yesterdays questions were regarding the transport of an auger on the Fish Trap. Years ago I learned the hard way how much oil drips out the exhaust and stains the tent. I came up with two solutions which work when combined. The first was to switch to Opti 2 oil. Reduced the smoke, less oil dripping from the exhaust and revs higher. The second was to get a gym bag with two zippers that just fit over the power head. I slip the bag over the power head and pull the zippers and the dripping is contained. At the end of each season I wash it and I'm good to go next season. One extra tip is to keep the blade cover on the auger when transporting. Here are a few pic's :

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:36 PM »

It's hard recreating all the tips but here's another for rod holders.

I wanted a rod holder to keep the rod within easy reach and easily detachable. The one I found and liked the best was Outdoor Creations Hot Rod Holder. Here's some pics :

Mounted with rods.

Close up of holder.

Offline Arse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Lonewolf, I'm new here and I found your tips to be very helpful, then they disappeared. I finally found them in the archives at http://www.iceshanty.com/archives/forum2/index.php?topic=14164.0

Mike

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:16 AM »

They weren't even there a week ago. IceShanty retrieved them and restored them to the archives.
I had recieved many PM's asking where the thread was as members wanted use the many tips from other members, mods and myself.
I'm still looking into who had removed it.

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for getting this thread back on top. I just bought a Scout and the tips will be gratefully appreciated. ;D ;D ;D

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:27 AM »
what lub. to use on tent poles?..I have tried taking poles apart and  sanding inside edge...everything from wd 40 to car wax...they all help...did anybody find something new to try? ;) ;)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:06 PM »

I've found car wax to work the best. Over the years I've tried silicone, WD-40, etc. but the car wax is quick, clean and simple. Also you don't stain the tent with the car wax like you can with the spray on products ... they can drip out on the tent.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I bought a guide last month, used car wax on the poles and it was a big improvement . I also waxed the slides for the seats. New shanty, new Vex, no ice :(
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:55 PM »
I've found car wax to work the best. Over the years I've tried silicone, WD-40, etc. but the car wax is quick, clean and simple. Also you don't stain the tent with the car wax like you can with the spray on products ... they can drip out on the tent.

I also use car wax.  I put a thin layer on and don't remove the film seems to last longer.

Offline toy4runner4x4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I just got an aqua-vu scout and wanted to know if anyone has theirs mounted to their fish trap? Pics would be great. Thanks.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:04 PM »
does anybody know how to get past page 4.... 1-27 05...in the fish trap tips..would like to find all the missing info. from 1-27--05 to present... ???

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:14 PM »
otter makes a nice rod holder also
all you need to do is drill 2 holes[all hardware included]
got mine at Cabelas for $ 12 :tipup:
 http://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUTDOORS/eproddetail.asp?S=67&P=5050&PubID=4393&V=7&PID=1064&iss=

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Dave C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2007, 08:35 PM »
Want to let everyone know that my idea of using medium size binder clips (rather than the supplied screws) to hold the tent onto the sled has worked great. No slippage in the tent from wind or use. I have loaded the tent into my pickup many times this winter and the binder clips have held fast. Also, no rust so far. So, this spring I will pop the clips off, take the tent off and store inside and store the tent in my shed. No mouse prroblems eating holes in the fabric. If anyone else has tried it, let me know how they worked for you.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:55 PM »
do you put the cover on when pulling behind a quad or snowmobile every time you move...I read and I believe it was in this thread what is the best way to put the cover on...with all the clothes on and being 67 it begins to be pain...thinking about mud flaps on the back of the quad....any help would be appr. thanks... ;) ;)

Offline gldnrcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:17 PM »
It's hard recreating all the tips but here's another for rod holders.

I wanted a rod holder to keep the rod within easy reach and easily detachable. The one I found and liked the best was Outdoor Creations Hot Rod Holder. Here's some pics :

(Image removed from quote.)
Mounted with rods.

(Image removed from quote.)
Close up of holder.
hello lonewolf I think these are your pics the rod holders look great where did you find them I looked at the usual places but no luck I'm gonna try to search the manu.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2007, 02:39 PM »
hello lonewolf I think these are your pics the rod holders look great where did you find them I looked at the usual places but no luck I'm gonna try to search the manu.

I believe Thorne Bros still carry them.  :)

Offline Wolf Point

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wolf Point Lodge, Crane Lake, MN
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:31 AM »
As a new owner of a Fish Trap X2, I was interested in the preferred way to setup and take down the trap. I e-mailed Clam, and the engineers replied with the following recommended procedure:

Set-Up

1) From outside the shelter, standing on the side that will be the rear wall when erected, start with the  lowest hoop in the stack and work upwards, pulling on each hoop from outside the tent and until you feel the buttons engage.

2) From either side/end of the shelter, flip them all forward.

3) Go inside and install the Roof Spreaders, then the Front Spreaders, and finally the Rear Spreader/s (Spreader count varies with shelter style/configuration – smaller shelters use only a Rear Spreader).

Take-Down

1) Remove all Spreaders and lay in the bottom of Base. For Adjustable Spreaders, snug the Tension Knobs after compacting so that they don’t vibrate out during transit.

2) Start with the rear wall Hoop and compress both buttons and retract the Hoop, then the same with next inward Hoop, and then the third inward Hoop.

3) Step out and swing the Porch Hoop on the previously retracted Hoops while at the same time disengaging buttons and retracting.

4) Go around the shelter and tuck the Tent material in between the rested Hoops the best you can to keep the Tent material from dragging during transit – a Travel Cover works great here to hold everything together.
Note: Make sure that the Tent material is clear of the Canopy Brackets to minimize rubbing.

Wolf Point

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Anybody that has a new Fish Trap with the swivel seat I suggest putting some loc-tite on the screws that go into the actual chair from the long black cylindrical tubes. This will prevent seat wobble and the screws from working loose.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Dave C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2007, 08:24 PM »
My original post from last year got lost too. I secured my tent with office binders (the medium size) rather that using screws and it worked great. I pinched off the chrome pinchers to make a cleaner install. Squeezed the pinchers back in at the end of the season and took them off. This allowed me to take the tent off and store inside away from critters in my shed. I would recommend this method as it held fine all season. No holes in the tent from screws and I think the binders actually hold better than the screws.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:05 PM »
LoneWolf,
Thanks for the Outdoor Creations rod holder pics!!!! I added two of them to mine. They are pretty nice! I am not throwing stones so please don't take any offense to this but, you use a cover for your auger to catch any oil that may drip out. Over the course of a season of use and being stored, do you accumilate alot of oil in that bag? Just wondering how you go about cleaning it? I like the idea, I just have some reservations about it. Do you wash it in the washing machine? Doesn't that gunk up the machine any? What about the waste water being contaminated with oil??
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I am not speaking of what lonewolf does, but my speculation of this:

If he isnt planning on using it for anthing else but to keep engine oil from getting all over, why would it need to be cleaned?
If there is a lot of oil coming out of the auger 1....have it checked as something is wrong and 2, soak up the oil with paper towel etc. the only issue would be leaving a pool of oil in the bag for a length of time. Once again you should only be talking a little bit of oil from the exhaust......otherwise, something needs to be fixed. This is just a fix, so that the little oil drips dont end up in your shanty. I would venture to say that that bag will last 7-10 years before needing to be cleaned unless extremely heavy usage..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:11 PM »

The reason for the bag is to catch any oil that may come from the exhaust. Since I've been using the Amsoil 100:1 there is very little but there is some. I have no stains on my Trap or in my truck and it's on and off in seconds.
As for washing it does not go in my washing machine. I simply use a rag with a little Simple Green and wipe it out .. there isn't much.   

Offline In the Dark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:45 PM »
On the SS eye bolts, what side did you use?  How did you tie a poly-braided rope on there?

Thanks

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:14 PM »
I just got an aqua-vu scout and wanted to know if anyone has theirs mounted to their fish trap? Pics would be great. Thanks.

sorry no pics but i did make a hinged shelf out of 1x6 , attached hinges to front of tub and a hinged support leg for the front of shelf , i place my aqua view on this so its easier viewing instead of looking way down on the ice and into the tube for monitor. and when done or travelling just remove the aqua view and fold the shelf over back towards the seat.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I have a clam pro and use 1 dual mantle lantern for light and heat.  I used to use a propane lantern but that would not burn as well in cold temps.  If it is cold out....zero degrees or less I recommend two lanterns or a buddy heater.  I fish alone so has anyone out there figured out a way to compartmentalize everything.  I currently use 2 -5 gallon buckets to hold everything including my limit of fish when I come off ice.  So my gear gets slimed cuzz it has to share a bucket with all of my monster ::) fish.  Any ideas on a "manual" auger holder?  I absolutley hate it when my auger falls off my sled.....and I don't notice till I am on the other side of teh lake >:(
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:25 PM »
On the SS eye bolts, what side did you use?  How did you tie a poly-braided rope on there?

Thanks

I don't understand as to what side ? The eye is on the outside of the tub.

As for the poly rope .. I splice it ( weave it). You can tie but it won't hold unless you epoxy it.

Doug >))))>

Offline In the Dark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I don't understand as to what side ? The eye is on the outside of the tub.

As for the poly rope .. I splice it ( weave it). You can tie but it won't hold unless you epoxy it.

Doug >))))>

Oops.  I meant to ask what size.  I checked some hardware stores and I was having some difficulty finding a decent diameter bolt that was short enough to lock down.  Do you use a lot of washers and does the bolt stick out on the inside of the sled by quite a lot when you are done installing.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:20 AM »
My original post from last year got lost too. I secured my tent with office binders (the medium size) rather that using screws and it worked great. I pinched off the chrome pinchers to make a cleaner install. Squeezed the pinchers back in at the end of the season and took them off. This allowed me to take the tent off and store inside away from critters in my shed. I would recommend this method as it held fine all season. No holes in the tent from screws and I think the binders actually hold better than the screws.

Thanks Dave for the good idea.  I got the binders free of charge from the office too.  Sshhh!

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Nise set up

:tipup: :tipup:

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Good tips on the car wax on the seat and spreader tubes.  It also is good on the zippers - helps to keep them smooth.

I also installed a couple of those rod holders - very nice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.