The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing etiquette  (Read 581 times)

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Spearing etiquette
« on: Nov 18, 2022, 11:42 AM »
What does everyone do with their spear hole once they are done? If you are just day spearing and not leaving a shack up for the winter. Do you mark the hole etc.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spearing etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2022, 12:15 PM »
I prefer to pull my blocks when I cut the hole and place them back in when I'm done.  I then mark the edges of the hole with pine branches.  If I have to push the blocks under I mark the hole by surrounding it with the pine branches.

I always seem to hear a lot complaints every year from people about unmarked open holes and cut blocks left on top of the ice.  Both are definite problems with the potential for a person stepping into a partially frozen hole hidden by a skiff of snow to a snowmobile or quad driver running into the blocks.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2022, 12:23 PM »
I prefer to pull my blocks when I cut the hole and place them back in when I'm done.  I then mark the edges of the hole with pine branches.  If I have to push the blocks under I mark the hole by surrounding it with the pine branches.

I always seem to hear a lot complaints every year from people about unmarked open holes and cut blocks left on top of the ice.  Both are definite problems with the potential for a person stepping into a partially frozen hole hidden by a skiff of snow to a snowmobile or quad driver running into the blocks.

Most intelligent, and IMO, the only way you should do it. No one wants an accident or to see a small child fall in and drown. It happened here.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2022, 04:33 PM »
Do everyone else a favor and put em back/mark the hole with something
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.