The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Mayday12

• IceShanty Rookie
« on: Nov 12, 2022, 04:24 PM »
I have fished all my life but this will be my first year trying out ice fishing. Do you guys have any tips for a new guy?

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2022, 04:33 PM »
Good boots, seriously....get good boots. Warm clothes...
Spend time researching/reading the content here on IceShanty.com....I started out here years ago that the information, tips, advice on this forum are awesome.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2022, 04:36 PM »
Find someone to take you out and show you before you spend a ton of money.
 Might not be your thing..  jmo
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2022, 05:26 PM »
See if you can find a copy of In Fisherman’s Ice Fishing Secrets for a good introduction to ice fishing. Some good information in my opinion! Also, agree with going with a “seasoned” ice nut to see if you like it! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2022, 06:20 PM »
Welcome aboard :) browse around, there is SO MUCH INFORMATION here. You will likely find answers to many of your questions.
Rkymtn is spot on about safety….Get a spud bar first and foremost.

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2022, 10:05 PM »
Where are you located?

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2022, 11:55 AM »
Welcome,  Mayday!

Keep it simple to start.  If you ever get overwhelmed by all the technical gear, just remember that the previous generation of ice anglers used wool pants, waxed Sorel pack boots and hauled all of their homemade rods into the ice in a milk crate strapped to a toboggan.  They caught a lot of fish, too.

That being said, the things that will make or break you are the things that keep you on the ice longer.  The interface between you and the ice are the most important things. Warm, waterproof boots are number 1 in my book.  Cleats are right there as well if you are fishing bare ice. Are you the type that kneels down a lot?  Get some kneepads. They will keep your knees dry and pain free.

If you are anywhere near Anaconda, feel free to hit me up.  Georgetown is my main squeeze for most of the year until it gets buried in snow. I bounce around the Helena area. Also the occasional Clark Canyon ling trip.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2022, 05:19 PM »
Safety  man..... be safe...... learn about ice. alot more to it then thickness. Quality ( integrity of the ice is crucial) this site is priceless as a learning tool. lots of great folks on here with invaluable knowledge from their experience that will get you started the right way.  welcome and tight lines.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Welcome aboard Mayday12, go with someone who knows the ropes. The right experience will get you hooked, bad experience and you won't like it. Good luck to you.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:34 PM »
Get a good pop up shelter and don’t forget to have fun. Welcome aboard!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:14 PM »
Warm attire and safety equipment is your first thing to keep in mind.  Knowing how to read ice.  If your not sure don’t take a chance.  As far as learning the ins and outs of techniques, the internet, YouTube and this forum is a great resource for information.  Talk to as many people as you can that have done this before.

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:31 AM »
Be safe and have fun. You'll learn a ton as you go
skippin' class to fish

Offline Cranky01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:15 PM »
Like hardH20 said good boots. But you need traction on them boots. Good cleats will save much pain. Good luck!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2022, 02:16 AM »
SPUD BAR!!!!

Offline Bitterrocklark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Sunglasses

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:48 AM »
Read all your replies on here and learn from them. One of the best I read is to go out with someone that has all the gear and see if ice fishing is gonna be something you're going to stick with.  Then take your time building your arsenal of gear. Stay safe, stay warm and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.