Author Topic: any tips on how to catch jumbo's  (Read 5612 times)

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
any tips on how to catch jumbo's
« on: Nov 13, 2003, 06:53 PM »
this is m fourth year of ice fishing and i love it! i was woundering if any one has some good ways to rig bait, what jigs to use ect.

thanx.    ;D  

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Ice Fihin Nut

Re:any tips on how to catch jumbo's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2003, 06:23 AM »
I usually us small jigging rapalas with a red jenson egg on the bottom hook. Other that that, we spear the tasty little buggers out on Lake Saint Clair here in Michigan!!!!!

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:36 AM »
Pick yourself up a copy of the In-fisherman Ice guide 2004 magazine.  Page 44 and 74.  Two excellent perch articles.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:53 AM »
thanx for those good tips. i'll try them as soon as that ice comes

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:18 PM »
when looking for some jumbo's where should u look on a lake what depth level kinds of structour and time.

ben

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 01:13 PM »
dont think you can simply focus on jumbos unless you have a lake or pond that hasnt had too much fishing pressure--any jumbo's i've caught have been pre-spawn females and mixed in with the smaller males. just my 2 bits :'( :'(

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2003, 01:46 PM »
check post started by bean--#1 nunzio for best technique followed by #2 mr.seaguar ;D

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2003, 03:47 PM »
i do supose your right on only focusing on jumbo's but where i do my fishing a 9 incher is considered a jumbo (at least to me it is)

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 04:31 PM »
firsticerules--my wife nailed me last winter on her first trip out 12 7/8 in jumb0--i measured it many times for her but it was still 1/8 inch short of master angler--slabbed out nice and all she has is the picture ;D ;D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2003, 05:00 PM »
Target lakes that hold jumbos, and just go perch fishing. One of our lakes in Southeast PA holds nice sized fish and it gets pounded.  Last year on a crowded day, only landed 2 perch(well, released several nice bass) and they were both 12''. Saw two others get caught that probably went 14". Also, despite my best jigging efforts, both perch came under tip-ups. Managed some gills on the hand poles, but was thankful I put out the tip-ups!

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:41 PM »
Find the first 30" break and if you have rock the rock mud transition is killer! Points can be good .late ice fish the 30'flats as thats where the perch are chowing bugs out of the mud.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: any tips on how to catch jumbo's
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2004, 01:37 PM »
I have had 3 great trips in a row this month fishing perch with tip-ups here in NY. Have caught 25, 31, then 20 and almost all were 10" plus, one 13 incher. What bait did I use? 2-3 inch shiners ( emerald I think, but this is probably irrelevant ) fished exactly 1 foot off bottom in 20' water.

The lake is fairly good-sized, a few thousand acres. As with most lakes this large and bigger, the 20' depth seems to be the preferred hangout for the jumbos. There is also an inflow from a brook not too far away. Bottom line for locating jumbos is that your 3 inch shiners will be taken by only the largest perch in the lake. If like some people, all you do is jig with small baits, you may or may not catch the jumbos. The bottom line, in my opinion, to quickly determining how big the perch can get in your lake, is to set out the tip-ups.

I spend very little time jigging when I am getting a lot of action on the tip-ups, because I know that every time I get a flag it is almost certainly a 10" plus fish. Also, I have perfected the art of running to every flag with bait pail in hand, quickly getting the hook out with needle-nose pliers, and returning the minnow ( either a new one or keep re-using the same minnow as long as it is alive ) back down to the marked depth ( split shot on the line ). I am very fast at re-setting a tip-up, man! Practice this, and I think you'll agree it is a great way to catch a lot of jumbo perch, and something about seeing flags go up always adds an element of excitement that jigging can't match.

Last but not least, the tip-ups always give you a good chance at the incidental catches of bass, walleye, trout etc. depending on what's in your lake. Good luck with your fishing, dude.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: any tips on how to catch jumbo's
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:49 PM »
just read this and have a laugh lol
this is what grump wrote
grumpymoe
Team IceShanty Master

Hardwater Nut!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 04:31 PM »

firsticerules--my wife nailed me last winter on her first trip out

LOl i wouldnt be letting her read this or she wont be nailing you again. LOL
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.