Author Topic: "New England" Ice Fishing Gathering?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
"New England" Ice Fishing Gathering?
« on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I am throwing out the idea of a "New England" Ice Fishing Gathering. I have lived in two of the great states of New England and have fished in all of them and best of all I have fished with anglers from all of them and they (you all, at least most of you!) are great company (even some of you grumpy old guys!).
I also know that as a whole ice fisherman are a frugal lot (some would say CHEAP) so when looking at places to meet I looked at which state would have a "Free Ice Fishing day" and at this point all I could find was Maine (in the past seasons) having one the 3rd week end of February. February is a good bet for safe ice and by then many of us might like to try some new waters with some new faces! Southern Maine would be the better bet being a little shorter drive for many... One area can not make everyone happy.
I have had great luck on Great East (many call great least), but; 1 it is BIG and in the past at gathering, if it is a big place, many anglers don't find each other... 2; it is a border lake and we would need to check on how the free fishing day works (if at all) on a border lake.
So, what does every one think? Do you have other suggestions of states and lakes? Maybe the Maine anglers, just want to pick on the flat landers and keep them out? Is there some other event on that day I have not thought of that would keep many from coming? Not looking for your honey hole, but suggestion of waters to fish would help?
I look forward to seeing where this idea goes and I hope I will get to fish with many of my fellow New England Ice Shanty Members!!!
Tight Lines,
Allan

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: "New England" Ice Fishing Gathering?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I got a email back from Maine Fish and Game and the Free Fishing Weekend of Feb 16th and 17th also includes Border Lakes! So We can fish Great East for our New England Gathering with out having to buy a fishing license!
We have had many people say "Count me in" and I hope that we can have a good size group!

Every weekend seem to have some conflict, but with the free fishing, I think this is the best bet...

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:14 PM »
That weekend is also the Sebago Lake Derbyfest in Maine. I'll be up there!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:03 PM »
It looks like it will be a great turnout for our first New England Ice Shanty Gathering! The “Rallying Point” is within sight and walking distance from the boat ramp. Remember you will not need to get a fishing licence for ME for the 16th and 17th!

Offline Rafe1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Wish I could get there sounds like alot of fun

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Some of the Maine Regs that you might not know, coming from another state, this is not all of them, but most of them;

ICE FISHING
GENERAL INTERSTATE ICE FISHING RULES:
• Open to ice fishing: January 1 - March 31: All species except landlocked
salmon (Exception: Salmon Falls River).
• No landlocked salmon through the ice.
• No cusk fishing.

Daily Bag Limits:
• Landlocked salmon.......No landlocked salmon through the ice, 2 fish open
water fishing.
• Trout, and togue............5 fish, but no more than 2 landlocked salmon, 2 togue,
2 rainbow trout, 2 brown trout, or 2 brook trout.
• Pickerel.............. ............5 fish.
• Bass.................. .............October 1 – June 20: 1 fish; June 21-Sept. 30: 3 fish
(only 1 may exceed 14 inches).
• All other species............No bag limits.
Any legal fish, except bait fish and smelts, taken from the waters shall be
immediately released alive into the waters from which it was taken or shall be
killed at once and become part of the daily bag limit.

Great East Lake: Restricted to two lines per person. Minimum length limit on
togue: 16 inches. Tributaries closed to the taking of smelts.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Well I am finishing up the packing for the trip to Great East and am looking forward to meeting the many people that said they are coming! I have heard from guys coming from every state except VT... We should have a Ice Shanty flag up at the meeting point and hope that we can all get together around 11:00 am (if you are fishing somewhere else) for a group photo!.
Good Luck and Tight lines!

ps;
Safe ice, but not great for sleds and like most of New England, snow with slush...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:03 PM »
I want to thank everyone that made it to the first New England Ice Shanty Gathering! It was some tough driving Saturday morning but we had a dozen people make it. Like most places this weekend, where was snow and slush to trudge through, but it did not dampen the fun. Between us, 8 lakers were caught, no big ones, but many keeps.
I look forward to doing it again next years and meet more great people! Again Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.