Author Topic: Floating jacket or bibs or both?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
Floating jacket or bibs or both?
« on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Looking for recommendations on what to get as far as floating bibs and jackets. Can I get by with just 1? Or  Do I need both? Does one float better than the other?

I see striker makes 3 different types of series. I have no clue the difference on them.

Just getting your thoughts before I go and spend a small fortune on peace of mind

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Floating jacket or bibs or both?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I have the SI Predator and Climate sets ..both bibs will float me on my own..i suggest the bibs first..as you will always wear the bibs each outing ..the jacket not so much.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I prefer using simple shell parkas and anoraks for an outer layer and only use floaty bibs. 

Bibs should be more fully submerged and generate more lift compared to a jacket?  If that's not the case your probably pretty screwed anyhow? :P 

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:32 PM »
I just bought the Striker Predator bibs...no jacket. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but don't always use a heavy  jacket...so I didn't get it.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:10 PM »
I have the Eskimo jacket and bibs.   Very very warm and I would definitely get both if you have the funds.  But just bins I feel like it would throw off you ability to float upright

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:58 AM »
I have the Eskimo jacket and bibs.   Very very warm and I would definitely get both if you have the funds.  But just bins I feel like it would throw off you ability to float upright
Is this the lockout suit you are referring too?
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:20 AM »
I have the predator bibs and jacket. If I where to buy one it would be the bibs because the jacket is off as much as its on. I have had the predator for three seasons now, I highly recommend them.

Offline frozennut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I have the Striker Climate bibs and jacket in the brown slightly grass camo pattern. This is a great set as it has the option to take out a layer of insulation on both the bibs and jacket. The set also works great for late hunting in brown grass or extreme weather. Marmuska........great to hear you will float now! :) Good luck!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:32 AM »
If i could only get one it would be bibs.i hardly ever have my jacket on due to overheating.just wearing the bibs keeps me warm with a carhartt sweatshirt on most days.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Bibs in my opinion. They will still float you and your upper body will still be warm from them. If you jig a lot like I do, the bibs get far more use than my jacket.
Just add water.

Offline IceLineman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:57 PM »
franks great outdoors has the new striker trekker suit on sale. This is the lightest of the suits but still floats. $189 for top and bottoms together.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:00 PM »
 Both. It is more important to keep your upper body floating than your legs, and is much easier to pull your legs out if they are floating also. I speak from experience. Granted it might make it easier for rescuers to pull you out if your legs are sticking up out of the water, but that means the rest of you might not be if you only have floating bibs on.

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:14 PM »
From what I have read and been told, having both is a better option. Supposedly, if you have both and you fall trough the ice, you pop up to the surface like a cork. Then you are on top of the water surface and it's easier to roll on to the ice that's around you. I have both, but I have never had to test that to test those supposed facts. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I have the SI Predator and Climate sets ..both bibs will float me on my own..i suggest the bibs first..as you will always wear the bibs each outing ..the jacket not so much.

+1

Bibs float ya. And they are so warm you will probably not wear the jacket much at all.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I just bought both.....cheap insurance policy on something I hope not to have to experience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.