The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Should I try it?  (Read 743 times)

Offline Turk

• IceShanty Rookie
Should I try it?
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 PM »
This may be a silly question to sum but i would like your thoughts.  I have a lake house in Manitowish Waters and do a fare amount of fishing both in the summer and winter on the chain but not as much as I would like.  I mostly ice fish my bay that has weeds and a nice drop off at the main lake.  I do OK but would like to try a new spot that I found this summer with my Humminbird 898 side imaging (man do i love that thing).  It's a main lake area in 15 fow and looks to be sand but my side imaging did pick up on a large area of logs piles that seem to be decent size.  The surrounding area is pretty desolate no weeds or sizable drop offs.  The lake level is dropped about 4' in the winter if that changes anything.  It's kinda a haul for one snowmobile and 3 to 4 guys.   Does this sound like something i should try for Walleye, Perch, Crappie?  Thanks for any thoughts.  Manitowish Waters does have a nice ice fishing derby in February i think its the 16th.  A nice family friendly event.

Turk,

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Should I try it?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:18 PM »
i know that chain and have relatives with a place on one of the lakes. I say yes, why not... if you find structure fish it. you will never know until you try.

we were musky and bass fishing this past summer on Alder and caught a few nice northern on sand flats. We fished weeds all day and picked up some small ones but once out of the weeds and into the sand there were fish. I would have guessed we wouldn't have had any luck in that spot.

Offline Jiginitis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PACKERS. BERNIE. BUCKY
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Anytime you got structure you gotta try it I would say ur prolly gonna do pretty good
Here's to the heat not the type that heat shacks and shanty's but the type that burn off bras and panties

-hummingbird 345c
-frabill
St.croix rods

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Structure, depth change, history of good area.... you bet you should give it a try. Besides, if you never fish it you'll always wonder......

Good luck.
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline Turk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as saw the logs come onto the screen of my side scan I had to mark them and figured it would be a spot to check out on the hard water.  Does anyone here fish a similar situation?  The crappie in the lake are kinda elusive in the winter and I thought it might be a place they hold up. 

Turk

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2012, 12:36 AM »
I would at least try it how deep of water is it in? Because depending on what period the ice is in(late ice, early etc) oxygen levels play a big role. If its in 10 feet of water and no oxygen but their is a 30 foot hole in the lake that has oxygen you won't catch anything.

Offline Turk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:13 PM »
This is one snapshot of the area.  Transferring the snapshot to photobucket kinda made it blurry but you can see some weeds and what looks like bait balls in the water column.   

Offline Tipup Marathon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yay fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Would definitely be a spot to try.  I know the Manny Chain has some big fish in it, and that would be a great place!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.