Author Topic: IceFishing in a Whiteout Blizzard - No Tent!! (I need one)  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
There was a crazy, whiteout blizzard up in the mountains a week ago...During that time my GF and I decided it would be a good idea to go out and do some ice fishing. We didn't/don't own a tent/shelter and it was an experience to say the least. We still had a blast and caught some good fish, but were frozen by the end of it...Midway through the day we needed to take a break from the elements and I had icicles hanging from my GoPro (you can see in the video)!!

The lake we fished was at 10,000 feet elevation and we had a solid 8 inches of ice.

With all that being said...Good suggestions for a 2-3 person tent? maybe even 4?

Hope you enjoy the video! It was fun to make lol
Like, Share and Subscribe ;D ;D

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: IceFishing in a Whiteout Blizzard - No Tent!! (I need one)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Couple suggestions. Build yourself a Smitty sled. Google on here for all kind of ideas. See if you can find an Otter Hub Pro cabin or Pro lodge. Small buddy heater to take the edge off.

That gal friend of yours is a " keeper" willing to fish in conditions like that. Loved the way she dove in to save her first fish.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2019, 07:26 PM »
If you two ever want some company I would love to fish with some diehards like you! Count me in and I will bring the tent!

If you want a pop up I have an Eskimo 949i which has lots of room for two, fits three real nice and 4 with ease. Gets real tight with any more. That tent or anything similar in size should work. Go for the insulation, it will it for itself in fuel for heat. Two people and a lantern will warm up. A buddy heater will keep it comfortable.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Couple suggestions. Build yourself a Smitty sled. Google on here for all kind of ideas. See if you can find an Otter Hub Pro cabin or Pro lodge. Small buddy heater to take the edge off.

That gal friend of yours is a " keeper" willing to fish in conditions like that. Loved the way she dove in to save her first fish.

I checked into that "Smitty Sled" suggestion, looks awesome. Right up our ally too for a fun project we could build on film!! Those tent/shelter suggestions look great too, we'd been looking since that day and have some similar ideas. We're looking to get a pretty decent size one for when we have our full team with us + we sometimes have guests/subs/friends/etc. we bring fishing; but still debating on a smaller or bigger one to get first... Ya she's the best, everyone has been commenting and asking if she hates it now and TBH she says ice fishing is her FAVORITE now lol. Gotta put a ring on that though.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2019, 08:43 PM »
If you two ever want some company I would love to fish with some diehards like you! Count me in and I will bring the tent!

If you want a pop up I have an Eskimo 949i which has lots of room for two, fits three real nice and 4 with ease. Gets real tight with any more. That tent or anything similar in size should work. Go for the insulation, it will it for itself in fuel for heat. Two people and a lantern will warm up. A buddy heater will keep it comfortable.

We like doing fishing with subs so we'll have to link up one day. What part of Colorado you in? Thanks for the suggestion...looks like a good tent. We've been searching and browsing since that day off and on lol.

Also, I'm not always on this so if my response is delayed a few days; i'm probably coaching basketball or out fishing lol.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Nice scoop, love the commitment!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Tyler-Samantha, I congratulate the two of you for fishing in those conditions. Glad the two of you made it home without any problems. In the Equipment forum/board there is a topic started by member Spiltmilt where he compares the Eskimo Quickfish3 to the Eskimo Quickfish 2 might help answer some of your questions about hub/pop-up shelters. Just my opinion since you hike/pack into your fishing spots I would go with a two or three person shelter will be easier for one or two people to set up in windy conditions. Your group could purchase multiple shelters and place them close to each other when fishing as a group .Provided the ice is thick enough for a large number of people to be in one area

The topic is titled Eskimoquickfish3 vs quickfish 2 currently near the bottom of page one of the Equipment forum/board.

Steve

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2019, 11:42 PM »
Cool video. I love fishing the blizzards, usually able to find a good bite.

I 2nd or 3rd the Eskimo quickfish 3i or the 949i good tents, lightweight and warm. And get her a fish finder too, it makes it alot more fun when you both have them.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2019, 11:52 PM »
I remember those days before I figured out I could fish in comfort. Love my quick fish 3, makes days like that a lot better, sometimes just set it up just to get in and warm up a bit.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Tyler-Samantha, I congratulate the two of you for fishing in those conditions. Glad the two of you made it home without any problems. In the Equipment forum/board there is a topic started by member Spiltmilt where he compares the Eskimo Quickfish3 to the Eskimo Quickfish 2 might help answer some of your questions about hub/pop-up shelters. Just my opinion since you hike/pack into your fishing spots I would go with a two or three person shelter will be easier for one or two people to set up in windy conditions. Your group could purchase multiple shelters and place them close to each other when fishing as a group .Provided the ice is thick enough for a large number of people to be in one area

The topic is titled Eskimoquickfish3 vs quickfish 2 currently near the bottom of page one of the Equipment forum/board.

Steve

Thank you Steve! I appreciate the kind words and the tip on the equipment post. I'll have to check that out soon! We've definitely been on the lookout for a good tent, just been debating on the size. Our team is 3.5 of us (one person is really part time) but we fish with subs, friends, and other guests too a decent amount. Deciding whether or not to buy a good 3-4 person or a good 5-6 person. Something we're discussing in our next team meeting. Again though, i really appreciate the heads up and i'll be checking that out soon :)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Cool video. I love fishing the blizzards, usually able to find a good bite.

I 2nd or 3rd the Eskimo quickfish 3i or the 949i good tents, lightweight and warm. And get her a fish finder too, it makes it alot more fun when you both have them.

Good to know! Thank you for the tip :) I'm getting her the same one i got for x-mas!!!! ;D ;D ;D She's going to be ecstatic!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:04 PM »
I remember those days before I figured out I could fish in comfort. Love my quick fish 3, makes days like that a lot better, sometimes just set it up just to get in and warm up a bit.

Hoping those days become histoy soon lol! Might have to go brave some blizzards and bad conditions anyway for you guys!  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.