New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE  (Read 29068 times)

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Miles59 , you are welcome as i mentioned to member Speakeasy search for the phone number and call the Fin,Fur and Feathers sport shop in Livingston Manor and see what they can tell you about ice conditions on Lake Wameta  and Monguap pond. I believe the shop will open around 9AM tomorrow inquire about their hours the couple that own the shop are both in their seventies. They do not do much early morning business during the week so open at (Am or later Monday through Friday. I suggest that you or anyone planning to get bait there call before making your trip to be sure they are open. the Agway store in liberty sells live bait not sure of their hours . Lake Wameta contains pickerel and pan fish,monguap Pond I believe also contains trout besides the pickerel and pan fish.

Steve

Steve - I called both shops yesterday.  Fur Fin & feather is closed Monday and Tuesday, then open 9 to 5 Wednesday through Sunday.  They have minnows and wax worms, but the guy said nobody has been in for minnows yet.  He couldn't report on ice conditions because he hasn't had people buying bait.  The place was for sale for a long time, and not sure if the same couple still owns it.  I'll stop by this week on my way to Andes.

I also called Agway in Liberty.  They open at 8 AM and they are stocked with minnows and assorted grubs.

Mongaup is on my "new lake to try" agenda, so I hope to see how it goes there.

Miles

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Steve - I called both shops yesterday.  Fur Fin & feather is closed Monday and Tuesday, then open 9 to 5 Wednesday through Sunday.  They have minnows and wax worms, but the guy said nobody has been in for minnows yet.  He couldn't report on ice conditions because he hasn't had people buying bait.  The place was for sale for a long time, and not sure if the same couple still owns it.  I'll stop by this week on my way to Andes.

I also called Agway in Liberty.  They open at 8 AM and they are stocked with minnows and assorted grubs.

Mongaup is on my "new lake to try" agenda, so I hope to see how it goes there.

Miles

Don't forget Lake Huntington...Lake Superior ..

https://www.facebook.com/monticello.farm.home.garden/

Monticello Lawn and Garden..(845) 794-6457...has bait believe large minnows only I would call first

420 State Route 17B, Monticello, NY, United States, New York

this guy sells bait as well definitely  call first

https://www.facebook.com/JeffStormbaits

Note the bait regulations in the DEC manual ...can get tricky between Mongaups
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Miles59, thank you for the information. Rich and Sue Post  were the owners of Fin,Fur and Feathers nice couple but like i posted older can see them selling and enjoying life.

I did a little on-line bait tackle shop searching for Sullivan County. Sadly I see Sport-Nuts in Rock Hill has closed. I do not know how much snow this current storm is forecasted to deposit in Sullivan County but any snow will hide ice from view and may slow ice building so use your spud and have ice picks ready for use hopefully no one will need the picks. Good fishing to everyone.

Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hello guys.  Just checking in … it’s been awhile..  Nice to see some of the old names & BS about the season..  🙂.   Anyways  I am off work & no ice WTH.  DieHard you must know something ? What about mongup pond? Anything happening? 
images.jpeg

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am in Binghamton area very little safe ice out here I doubt any at all back there be careful not worth it weather looks better this week for making ice again

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hello greensider   I have a buddy by Whitney Pt res. & he say some guys getting out on ponds& small water..
images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hello guys.  Just checking in … it’s been awhile..  Nice to see some of the old names & BS about the season..  🙂.   Anyways  I am off work & no ice WTH.  DieHard you must know something ? What about mongup pond? Anything happening?

Long time ...hope all is well. My local lake did freeze up enough for me to get out late December for 3 times other folks also squeezed a day or two more .Rumors are Lake Superior has some ice and folks have been on it ...but I have no conformation . Snowing here now ..probably get the 6-8 in that they predicted... the snow should help with the radiant heat and allow the shore access to freeze up once this cold weather settle in starting Tuesday night through the first week in February...Smaller bodies of waters north of me should lock up as well .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Could be but I am always cautious about ice they are having a hard time even getting on onieda right now I will be checking a small pond by our farm tomorrow

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hello. DieHard.  I did hear some lakes had ice in Sullivan Co. awhile back . Then we had warm.  Hopefully lock up again … my work hit & miss I try to get up there & check out next couple of days…. Thanks.  :icefish: :icefish:
images.jpeg

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Deweyicefish nice to see a post from you ,if you look at top of page 3 of this thread member Miles59 replied to some suggestions I gave him this past Sunday he called Fin Fur and Feathers sport shop in Livingston Manor person he talked with said he could not give a n ice conditions report for Mongaup pond or Wameta lake as he had not sold any minnow or other live bait recently so he assumed the ice on both places was not in good condition. I agree with hardwater diehard's statement snow cover on ground should help reduce the radiant heat from ground being released into lake water and give better shorelines. But conversely the snow cover on any ice formed will insulate it and slow ice formation. So use caution and your knowledge from years of ice fishing to decide if you want to make the drive to Sullivan county's northern parts to try and fish.

If anyone was planning to attended this Sunday's Jan.29TH Swan Lake fire dept. contest i believe they have a Face Book page where you might find out if the contest has been rescheduled or cancelled due to unsafe ice conditions. sorry but at his time i choose not to be involved with Face Book .

Steve

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
According to sponsor Supernova Bait & Tackle on Facebook, the Swan Lake contest has been cancelled.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hello Guys              I was able to make it out on Superior today  :icefish: I had a hard time . The shore line was breaking up & unable to get out 1 location.  I saw another man fishing . I then went down by boat launch…. Boat launch had open water but there was a spot to get on the ice…I saw other holes from guys fishing like DieHard said …  the ice was about 5” but not the best ice .. I managed to get a bunch of Dinks & a few small pickerel … my 1st time out a good day…  Stay on top….  ;) :icefish: :icefish:
images.jpeg

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening, Miles59 thank you for the update on Swan Lake fire dept. contest,
Deweyfish thank you for the report on lake Superior. Congratulations on getting out.

Checking a couple weather reports foecast saying 1 to 5 inches of snow in Orange county and 5 to 9 inches in Sullivan counties from the coming storm. So not the best for ice fishing this weekend and going foreward this season.

Steve

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished Mongaup Pond first time ever yesterday. The boat launch was very sketchy, but easy access to solid ice 50’ to the right. I measured between 4”-5” depending on where I drilled. Caught one small pickerel that was it.

Fur Fin and Feather has a new owner. They have live bait and plenty of gear, so try and give them the business. There is a tribute to the original owners posted in the store. Rich passed on, not sure when.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Miles59 thank you for the report on Mongaup Pond  by chance did you try to access the ice by going through the picnic/beach area, Saddened to hear of Rich Post's passing. May the new owner be able to stay in business as long as the Post's .
     Steve

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone been out and about today??  How do things look for this weekend?  Any chance other than a boat??
Good Luck and Tight Lines!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone been out and about today??  How do things look for this weekend?  Any chance other than a boat??
Do you own a smart phone and have weather???

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks I have both ???I also found safe ice without your help
Good Luck and Tight Lines!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks I have both ???I also found safe ice without your help

Can you post what you found here ..if it has public access?

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=110743.0

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular

Do you own a smart phone and have weather???

Nice!  It took awhile, but I finally found a DB in this group. 
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait will be sold at the contest.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Miles59 thank you for the report on Mongaup Pond  by chance did you try to access the ice by going through the picnic/beach area, Saddened to hear of Rich Post's passing. May the new owner be able to stay in business as long as the Post's .
     Steve

Steve - I did not try the picnic/beach area.  I only tried the boat launch, as it was easy parking and quick to get on.  Maybe I'll they the beach next time.
Miles

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Miles59,thank you for the reply Mongaup Pond is one of the few state owned areas in Sullivan county you can ride a snowmobile so at times road to boat launch is not plowed.

I also was looking at The DEC's website for everyone's knowledge the use of bait fish is prohibited at Mongaup Pond website did not state if this was live fish only and dead preserved as permissible . So best to avoid bait fish and a possible ticket if Econ officers are patrolling the pond on the day you choose to fish.

Subway4x4 best to you at the Lake Superior contest. Besides Super Nova selling bait at the contest Monticello Home and Garden on route 17B has live bait , Look up this page (3) to see Hardwater diehard's post with contact info. for this business.
Does anyone know if this is a new contest my first time hearing of an ice fishing contest at Lake Superior.

Friendly reminder the Loch Sheldrake Fire dept. contest is also this coming Saturday Feb, 4TH . GO to page 2 of this thread and look for Hardwater Diehard's post with notice of this contest ,King of the Ice and the Swan Lake contest which was scheduled for today (Jan. 29) but was cancelled for this year.

If the weather forecasters are correct we will finally see some days with a high temp at 32 or lower this week so some ice will be made finally. Good fishing to all be careful as some lakes/ponds may recently have frozen over and have thin ice.
    Steve

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a note about Mongaup Pond.  You can ride a snowmobile on the designated snowmobile trail.  You cannot ride a snowmobile or wheeler on the lake or any other undesignated area.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Clean. I think the Lake Superior contest this Saturday is the first one ever held.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Elrodalonzo ,thank you for the information on snowmobile useage at mongaup pond.

Subway4x4 ,thank you that is what i thought may the contest be well attended and become a yearly event.

Steve

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
There used to have contest on Superior 15-20 years ago put on by the Gun club i believe. I fished them a few times. Walt

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Why even hold a tournament on superior? To go out and drink and weigh some 7” perch and kill the last 2 bass and pickeral that live in the lake? I’m at sad that Dec issued this permit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.