New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: atvs and ice fishing  (Read 5280 times)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
atvs and ice fishing
« on: Mar 12, 2022, 12:42 PM »
i was just wondering the rules in new york  can you go on any lake with an atv or are there regulations . I always wondered how that worked for you guys

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: atvs and ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2022, 12:48 PM »
has to be registered and insured in the state you reside but look on dmv website to be sure about P.A.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2022, 01:06 PM »
Also not every lake allows it. Have to check every one.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2022, 01:06 PM »
can you ride on any lake in new york   do you see alot of sxs on the ice up there?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Ny requires registration on all atv

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2022, 02:25 PM »
can you ride on any lake in new york   do you see alot of sxs on the ice up there?

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2022, 02:35 PM »

INSURANCE

You may not operate any ATV anywhere in New York State, except on your own property, unless it is covered by liability insurance. Minimum required coverage is $50,000/$100,000 for death, $25,000/$50,000 for injury, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident. You must show proof of this insurance upon the request of a judge, the police, or a person claiming to have suffered injury or property damage from your operation of the ATV.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:59 AM »
I have never been asked for insurance card by dec.only registration

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Here are the answers you asked for. ATVs, UTVs and Snowmobiles here in NY must be registered and insured if you want to take them off your own property. All rules like helmets and seating capacities must be followed while off your own land. Our lakes are designated as either No vehicles allowed or Motorized vehicles are allowed. Wherever a snowmobile can go on the ice so too can an ATV or UTV but you have to have all your papers and protective gear in your pockets or on your head or you could get an expensive ticket. Many of our lakes are designated as Wild Forest areas and no motorized anything is allowed. They could even bust you with a power auger but they usually overlook that.
I run a Snowdog machine on my local lakes where motorized vehicles are allowed. It is a gray area with my snowdog machine because it is NOT considered a Motor Vehicle here in NY because it does not have any Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN). I think because you don't ride in or on the machine and it does not have any steering mechanism other than manual from behind it, much like a push lawnmower. Since it is not listed as a motor vehicle there are no rules attached to it YET! I suspect that to change at some point because NY can't stand not being able to tax and regulate anything. I have been inspected by the Encon/DEC police a couple times with no issues while dragging our gear and while set up. The only issue I was informed about was being very careful if I am out ramrodding and playing on the machine. One officer told me if he caught me blasting around while not towing anything but the sled I stand in he would issue me a ticket for not wearing a helmet or not having the shutoff tether attached. The last ATV I bought new from a dealer had to be registered in NY before it left the dealership even if it was only for use on my own property. I have seen guys here take their lawn tractors with attached plows and snowblowers on the ice where vehicles are allowed and never get in any trouble regarding laws. All other machines that are listed as motor vehicles must be registered and insured and all laws and rules must be adhered too.
Hope that answers all of your questions.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2022, 10:25 AM »
thank guys especially gamalot that was very informational    now where do you find the list of lakes permitted or not permitted

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2022, 11:15 AM »
I have never been asked for insurance card by dec.only registration
They most likely won’t ask for it…. Until you’re involved in an accident, hurt someone, tear up property, sink the machine or some other instance. Then, they will ask for it.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2022, 11:29 AM »
or  take the easy  route and just ride  them  no worries the friendly officers and judges  will be glad to explain to you what you needed  ;D

this is  sarcasm  i think   kp and game are telling you  stright  ...or you could simply  call  the new  york DEC  and  you can even  ask if the lake your going to  ride on

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2022, 01:09 PM »
Another thing when using an ATV ice fishing is use a Ridgid tow bar even though dmv law says you only need it when towing a person Dec will usually ticket for just using a rope this has been experienced by people I know not myself

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2022, 01:19 PM »
Another thing when using an ATV ice fishing is use a Ridgid tow bar even though dmv law says you only need it when towing a person Dec will usually ticket for just using a rope this has been experienced by people I know not myself
you are correct. Towing with atv you will need a rigid tow bar, if towing a person. Rope is ok, if you are towing a shack/sled only. Snowmobiles require rigid tow bar at all times.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2022, 01:56 PM »
 Gamalot if your sno dog can’t be registered, how can he write you a ticket other than the obvious, helmet, rigid bar ?

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Once I used the tow bar I will never just tie a rope anymore. Needless to say I'm a slow learner with a love for speed and have flipped a few sleds, and had even more fly pass me on the glare ice. Solid hitches keep everything from bouncing around, and if it keeps my beer and bait safer there is no reason not to have one. Easy to make out of scrap. I got a snow dog now so I left the helmet home all year. Never had anyone say anything to me or the dozen other snow doggers I've seen out there this year pulling around trains of sleds loaded with gear and passengers. But as was said only a matter of time before there's enough of us and they will find a way to tax us snow dog guys.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2022, 03:03 PM »

Something I never understood dragging your stuff out like a wild man  , I find another 5 mins isn’t a big deal , 

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Years ago… guy I knew, was a speed demon on his sled. He was clipping along, he hit the brakes and the sled he was towing with a rope went straight up in the tunnel and got jammed between the track. Sent him spinning and flipping his sled. What a mess. This happened after he was drinking all day.🤦🏻

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:18 PM »

I’ve seen the rope get tangled in wheelers, all kinds of things broke , also seen a guy clipping along and hooked a runner and ripped half the bottom out of his shack , time and place for having fun

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:47 PM »
It's just plain common sense to use a tow bar  It keeps every thing your own safe, solid, and secure. I use one and don't care if it's required or not. would not want my sled crashing into the back of my 4x4

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:55 PM »
a lot of good tips here thanks guys   I'm getting older and just want an easier access to getting on a lake   I live in central pa and it is shorter for me to hit some Ny lakes than to lakes like Kinzua or Pymatuning   go figure

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:05 PM »
It's just plain common sense to use a tow bar  It keeps every thing your own safe, solid, and secure. I use one and don't care if it's required or not. would not want my sled crashing into the back of my 4x4
x2

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:40 PM »
Do a little math if you like. My lakes here are usually about a mile across and up to 7 miles long. I run along at around 10 MPH and maybe only go a mile or so. Going twice as fast get me there only a few seconds sooner and makes no sense to me. Snowdog sleds attach to the dog with a rigid mount so no worries there. In answer to the question, "How can you get a ticket if the machine can't be registered?" NY DEC and ENCON police can give you a ticket for anything if they think you even look reckless, stupid or high and you can go fight it out with the judge. Most lakes in NY have posted regs either on the DEC web site or online for the lake community itself. Most of the regs are simple and common sense and others are just a big money grab but if you keep things within respectful limits you probably won't have an issue.

Towing anything behind you on glare ice is a "Learning Experience" in itself. My first attempt at that was with 3 sleds tied by ropes behind my ATV and all of a sudden all three passed right by me. What a mess but a great lesson well learned, hard hitch is an absolute must! 

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Question,  For you who use a side by side not a 4 wheeler how did you register it ?

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:46 AM »
here in pa there are almost as many utv/sxs as 4 wheelers now the automatically get registered when you buy them 

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2022, 07:18 AM »
New York State cannot figure out how to register side by sides, so you do have to insure it but if you spend the extra cash and get a side by side you don't have to pay NYS registration fees.  They will figure it out eventually.  They cannot have people having fun and not charge them for it!!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2022, 08:17 AM »
i  don't  have  a  atv sled  or  side  by  side    but my neighbor  does  and  we used  his  hunting  .....and  it has  something to  do  with   size?  his  is  small and  he  could register....i  do  not personal understand   but maybe  someone  does

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:25 AM »
I might be mistaking here but something tells me the weight and width is what they go by for registering here in NY. Under 1,000 pounds and less than 50" wide seems to be what I remember from back when I had my 2008 Polaris RZR 800. Don't quote me on this as things might have changed a lot since then.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2022, 07:15 AM »
A really good rule of thumb that I've found to work well over the years is simple: Don't attract attention to yourself. I'm not saying it works every time, nothing does. But more often than not, if you act stupid or reckless, you are going to get the attention of people.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2022, 07:48 AM »
I might be mistaking here but something tells me the weight and width is what they go by for registering here in NY. Under 1,000 pounds and less than 50" wide seems to be what I remember from back when I had my 2008 Polaris RZR 800. Don't quote me on this as things might have changed a lot since then.
    The last time I read about it you are correct with your statement.  So until they figure it out put an orange triangle on the back and don't do stupid stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.