New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo "trip free" Door  (Read 901 times)

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo "trip free" Door
« on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:31 PM »
Does anyone know if the "trip" free doors are standard on all pop-up shelters now?
Does anyone have any experience with these "trip free" doors?

I find it extremely annoying (and dangerous) tripping over the traditional doors.

Thanks and let me know your thoughts

Jeremy
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline BigT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo "trip free" Door
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2022, 02:55 PM »
No, not all pop ups have trip free doors. I've seen some models of Eskimo's and Otter's with the trip free doors, but I've seen a lot of negative comments about the Otter.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I am not sure what you mean but I have been ice fishing for over 45 years and had EVERY kind of shelter. @ years ago I got the Eskimo 450xd as I always liked Eskimo but their quality has gone to crap. In the first year I had a zipper break and a pole break and their Customer service is horrible. I bought an Otter with the full door and BY FAR the best quality I have ever had. The poles are made of carbon and much stronger, the zippers are incrediable, the bag is huge with a lot of room and very strong and also a great zipper, they give you extra anchors, and best of all they have a great anchor systemon the outside corners. By far better not even close!!!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2022, 09:26 AM »
I am not sure what you mean but I have been ice fishing for over 45 years and had EVERY kind of shelter. @ years ago I got the Eskimo 450xd as I always liked Eskimo but their quality has gone to crap. In the first year I had a zipper break and a pole break and their Customer service is horrible. I bought an Otter with the full door and BY FAR the best quality I have ever had. The poles are made of carbon and much stronger, the zippers are incrediable, the bag is huge with a lot of room and very strong and also a great zipper, they give you extra anchors, and best of all they have a great anchor systemon the outside corners. By far better not even close!!!

Didn't they just come out with the Otter full doors last year?  You used it for one season and are sold as it being the best by far?  I agree Otter makes a heck of a shanty but I think BigT's comment was in regards to the full door style only.  Usually when companies come out with new styles/gadgets theres some issues with the first gen models.  I'm guessing a few people may have had issues with the full door otters.  Glad you have had a good experience.  I'm intrigued by the style but love my old cabelas w the 360 windows.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Didn't they just come out with the Otter full doors last year?  You used it for one season and are sold as it being the best by far?  I agree Otter makes a heck of a shanty but I think BigT's comment was in regards to the full door style only.  Usually when companies come out with new styles/gadgets theres some issues with the first gen models.  I'm guessing a few people may have had issues with the full door otters.  Glad you have had a good experience.  I'm intrigued by the style but love my old cabelas w the 360 windows.

I Agree, that was my favorite not only because of the 360 windows but they are lower so you can see sitting down. Cabellas is made by Clam and their quality now is crap from China.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2022, 11:48 AM »
"The full door is nice but only as a convenience factor."

Convenience, definitely - especially when hauling gear in and out.

IMO and much more important - also a significant safety factor.  I have seen several people go down from tripping on the triangle/diamond shaped hub doors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.