New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220049 times)

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #60 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:16 PM »
First right North of Pour Jims off 30

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:52 AM »
 :tipup: :icefish:

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Steve - Were up on the northville end - 1 shorty and 1 20" pike all's that our shanty's got so far. I have yet to get a flag. Think we're too deep-probably moving south this weekend so stay where you are Booker, there's no fish up here. ::)

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Steve - Were up on the northville end - 1 shorty and 1 20" pike all's that our shanty's got so far. I have yet to get a flag. Think we're too deep-probably moving south this weekend so stay where you are Booker, there's no fish up here. ::)

we are fishing in 20-24 fow.  nothing to brag about but catching a few.  caught 2 on saturday and had one on the ice for half a sec before flopping back in the hole.  other than that we had 4 or 5 missed/dropped flags.  the eyes seem to be taking it out about 3 feet and laying there with it.  if my fishing party would help me out and land some fish we would be doing great, but they seem to be relying on me to do all the work. ;D

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:14 PM »
SS, We're in 15 to 20 ft. Guess the fish dont know about our secret spot. Maybe I gotta take Steve up on those lessons.  Going to try tomarrow, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:18 PM »
BABOB, stop by. I'll give you "Ole Windy" back.  She tires me out.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:42 PM »
First right North of Pour Jims off 30

Thanks a lot!

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:36 PM »
no fish in the dead sea fished hard for 4 days no hits  off bunker hill

Offline ADKC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:00 PM »
no fish in the dead sea fished hard for 4 days no hits  off bunker hill
The only place to catch the big ones is in the(DEAD SEA) . In this area anyway, Be patiant,youll getem. Its a big lake,They cant swim fast enough for everybody to have a good day....

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Tried the late bite 2 day. No flags. I'll be looking to get Old Windy back asap Booker. Hey Ratdog, did u try spittin' on the hook?  I have no other advice.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:08 PM »
The only place to catch the big ones is in the(DEAD SEA) . In this area anyway, Be patiant,youll getem. Its a big lake,They cant swim fast enough for everybody to have a good day....

Patience does not always pay off, especially on the Dead Sea.  4 days with no hits sounds like they have alot of patience and still came out empty.  you have to know it going in though, if you're looking for alot of action it is not the lake to go to.

Offline ADKC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Did ya try peeing in the hole,works every time.........Dont think about it, just try it.Trust me.     

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:16 PM »
4 Days and nothing.....You guys need to employ the Genz system on the lake!   You need to move, locate fish and hammer away......staying in one spot for 4 days .....means you're striking out looking......

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #73 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:27 PM »
4 Days and nothing.....You guys need to employ the Genz system on the lake!   You need to move, locate fish and hammer away......staying in one spot for 4 days .....means you're striking out looking......
Your right Dog, but it may be best to move totally off the Dead Sea.

Offline nightrunner06

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Did ya try peeing in the hole,works every time.........Dont think about it, just try it.Trust me.     
. LMAO. been there, done that. lol
FLAG!!!!!

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:41 PM »
What ever works. I may try that. I am headed out in the afternoon. can't wait. 1st day in the new shack!!

Offline hindes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:16 AM »
walley fishing should ge good on oneida for the simple fact that it is used as the walleye hatchery for the state.still i dont here of no real nice ones though.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Bingo! All the walleye men that fish the sac should come out to Onieda, maybe they'd learn a thing or two... Or maybe we'll just bring a crew there and prove to everyone that there are still walleye in the "dead sea".

if your crew is that good you could have won alot of $ on the 29th.  sure there are still eyes in there, just not as many as there are in Onieda.  have you ever fished the "dead sea" before?  i would love to see your guys come up and get skunked ;D 

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Bingo! All the walleye men that fish the sac should come out to Onieda, maybe they'd learn a thing or two... Or maybe we'll just bring a crew there and prove to everyone that there are still walleye in the "dead sea".

How many buddies you got? I would be willing to set up a little "fun day" with you guys here at the Sacandaga.  Also, I will be up your way this summer.  A bunch of us are dropping our cabin cruisers in the mohawk in August and head up to Onieda Lake for a week.  I would love to hook a few Walleye when we are there.  Do you know any good charters on Onieda for summer time?
J3W

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Was actually up there monday afternoon/into the evening and fished, we did alright for the two of us, iced a few decent perch and 4 eyes 19" being the biggest (all jigging) the other 3 were right around 14"-15" and went back.

I posted my report of where i was and how much ice and what not, on the reports and conditions page for the lake but apparently it was not considered useful info and got deleted....

Im going to state what i see as the obvious issue on the sac, and i see it every time i go there, like it or not here's my opinion.
There is one glaring difference between the Sacandaga Res. and every other walleye lake Ive ever been to. 90% of the complaining comes from one type of guy that claims there are no fish in the lake. These are the same guys going to the same permanent shanty fishing the same dead holes week after week.  A wise man by the name of Albert Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..... I think it applies very well here.

I don't post a whole lot anymore, pretty much just use this site for the reports and conditions to check and report safe ice... Had a bad experience a couple years ago with this site and the GSL. and I learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut when reporting catches and their whereabouts. 

I grew up in Gloversville and have fished there my whole life and have caught and kept a lot of fish out of that lake.(all legal and within the limits) Under a different name on this site a few years ago i made the mistake of posting some pictures of me and a buddy with a limit of eyes on the sac in an incredible spot passed down from my dad and grandfather...i was young and proud and mostly stupid and didn't photoshop the background which apparently pretty clearly depicted a recognizable horizon and shoreline.  I went back to the same spot the following weekend to find at least a dozen guys there.  Needless to say i am very careful what i post now, if i feel inclined to do so at all. 

Im in no way comparing the sac to Onieda as far as fisheries go, because there is no contest.  Im just saying everyone can benefit from being mobile and moving to find the fish.  We imply the same methods and techniques at both lakes and we do just fine no matter where we are.  Theres just a handful (5) of us, but the big thing is we can all trust eachother to give honest reports and keep our shared spots under the radar. 

Johnny Im not really familiar with any charters out there as we all have boats, but I know theres a lot of good ones. If you call Apps bait shop in Cleveland he's a great guy and will be able to steer you in the right direction with some names and phone numbers. If you're out there in your boats and looking for some good summer spots shoot me a pm and ill be glad to share some info with you. 

Tight lines boys

i fish out of a perm shanty but it has been moved a dozen times already this year.  i know alot of people that do the same.  i finally found a spot to land some eyes and still have bad days with no flags.  there is no excuse that at last years walleye challenge only 128 eyes were weighed in out of 1500 entries.  you could move to a new spot every week and it could still take you 10 yrs to find a secret hole.  the last time i moved my shanty only 50 yards from the week before (which we had no flags) and found my spot.  i had to drill 100 holes and send the camera down to find it though.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Minnow, I like your style. You seem to really tell it like it is. I trust your knowledge of the Sacandaga and pay attention to you posts.

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Guys.......don't overlook what a walleye does this time of year.....seasons pattern fish accordingly.....I visit the SAC alot (wife's family has a camp off of Paradise Point) and have always iced eyes everytime I go......They are there ....you need to do your homework like many have stated and employ it on the ice......I see the same thing on Oneida.....guys want to catch eyes but get lazy because of gear, methods, weather, distance, etc.. .........A walleye isn't going to find you...You need to find them!

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Guys.......don't overlook what a walleye does this time of year.....seasons pattern fish accordingly.....I visit the SAC alot (wife's family has a camp off of Paradise Point) and have always iced eyes everytime I go......They are there ....you need to do your homework like many have stated and employ it on the ice......I see the same thing on Oneida.....guys want to catch eyes but get lazy because of gear, methods, weather, distance, etc.. .........A walleye isn't going to find you...You need to find them!

there is nobody that has iced eyes EVERYTIME they go.  i believe that you do well with the eyes but not everytime you go.  i live on the lake and have done plenty of homework.  gear, weather, distance, ect. doesn't effect 98 percent of the people out there.  everyone out there has a wheeler or sled to get around.  like i said, i know they are in there, i love fishing the lake slow or not, but it is a very slow lake.  i am not complaining about it being slow, just stating the facts! 

like i said, how do you explain the walleye challenge the last 2 yrs?  1st year just over 200 eyes weighed in, last year 120 something eyes weighed in.  figure if even 800 people fish it that day, the lake is covered with 4000 tip ups and 1600 rods and only 126 eyes weighed in?  you guys that land eyes everytime you go out there must clean up at the challenge.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:45 PM »
I agree with SS our shanty has been moved 10 times, only to catch fish 1 day and not the next..The lake is funny this year we have fished northville to mayfield and all the way up south shore rd, been fishing doga for a month and have yet to truely get on fish. The fish house tournament will  show whats being caught.. I need a spot that i can catch them from 7-3, not 4-6am or 4-7pm. Haven't really caught any eyes during the day.. Can't wait for the challenge to get over so I can go back to trout fishing...
Dont't catch um all

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Minnow, I like your style. You seem to really tell it like it is. I trust your knowledge of the Sacandaga and pay attention to you posts.

my knowledge is that it is a very slow lake with some good days and alot of bad days.  sure i call it the Dead Sea, but you will also see me out there every weekend regardless if i am getting flags or not!  no complaints here, just the truth.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:38 PM »
The problem with the sacandaga is this, yes the fishing is slow but when you do get that flag theres always  the chance for that fish of a lifetime..Thats why I sit out there week after week as many of us who fish the doga do.. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching, and yes lots of time for cards..At this point its my only shot to win money this year(cards) good luck and don't catch em all
Dont't catch um all

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #86 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:41 PM »
That's the problem today, people want instant gratification. They want to go out, get multiple flags, fill up their buckets as soon as possible with the minimum effort.   I fished the sacandaga several times this summer for walleye. I caught multiple perch, bass, and only 1 walleye. It still did not deter me from going out again. Sacandaga kid is right, you know there are huge fish down there, you just got work for them or be lucky enough that one comes along and grabs your bait.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ADKC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Was actually up there monday afternoon/into the evening and fished, we did alright for the two of us, iced a few decent perch and 4 eyes 19" being the biggest (all jigging) the other 3 were right around 14"-15" and went back.

I posted my report of where i was and how much ice and what not, on the reports and conditions page for the lake but apparently it was not considered useful info and got deleted....

Im going to state what i see as the obvious issue on the sac, and i see it every time i go there, like it or not here's my opinion.
There is one glaring difference between the Sacandaga Res. and every other walleye lake Ive ever been to. 90% of the complaining comes from one type of guy that claims there are no fish in the lake. These are the same guys going to the same permanent shanty fishing the same dead holes week after week.  A wise man by the name of Albert Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..... I think it applies very well here.

I don't post a whole lot anymore, pretty much just use this site for the reports and conditions to check and report safe ice... Had a bad experience a couple years ago with this site and the GSL. and I learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut when reporting catches and their whereabouts. 

I grew up in Gloversville and have fished there my whole life and have caught and kept a lot of fish out of that lake.(all legal and within the limits) Under a different name on this site a few years ago i made the mistake of posting some pictures of me and a buddy with a limit of eyes on the sac in an incredible spot passed down from my dad and grandfather...i was young and proud and mostly stupid and didn't photoshop the background which apparently pretty clearly depicted a recognizable horizon and shoreline.  I went back to the same spot the following weekend to find at least a dozen guys there.  Needless to say i am very careful what i post now, if i feel inclined to do so at all. 

Im in no way comparing the sac to Onieda as far as fisheries go, because there is no contest.  Im just saying everyone can benefit from being mobile and moving to find the fish.  We imply the same methods and techniques at both lakes and we do just fine no matter where we are.  Theres just a handful (5) of us, but the big thing is we can all trust eachother to give honest reports and keep our shared spots under the radar. 

Johnny Im not really familiar with any charters out there as we all have boats, but I know theres a lot of good ones. If you call Apps bait shop in Cleveland he's a great guy and will be able to steer you in the right direction with some names and phone numbers. If you're out there in your boats and looking for some good summer spots shoot me a pm and ill be glad to share some info with you. 

Tight lines boys

Thanks for your 2 cents (GOD). Dont forget to look a few step in front of you.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:03 PM »
That's the problem today, people want instant gratification. They want to go out, get multiple flags, fill up their buckets as soon as possible with the minimum effort.   I fished the sacandaga several times this summer for walleye. I caught multiple perch, bass, and only 1 walleye. It still did not deter me from going out again. Sacandaga kid is right, you know there are huge fish down there, you just got work for them or be lucky enough that one comes along and grabs your bait.

thats right, but sometimes you can work your a$$ off and still go home empty.  i fish the sacandaga every weekend on the ice and if im not shooting carp im fishing it from boat.  you can do all the homework you want but on ice you cant cover as much ground as in a boat,  it is either the fish are there or they are not.  you could fish the hottest spot on the lake and if it doesn't produce in that one day you fished it, you might move on to another and never know.  i will always fish a spot a few times before i make a judgement to move, maybe move some tip ups around but stay in the same general area.  i put alot of work in not only on the ice but mapping it out from my boat trying to find structure and still have yet to find a spot that produces EVERY TIME out like some of these pro fisherman.  we had our worse season ever last year for eyes, but the whole season was worth all the effort when my cousin caught a 40" pike.  one fish can make my whole season, that is why i am out there every weekend.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:04 PM »
The problem with the sacandaga is this, yes the fishing is slow but when you do get that flag theres always  the chance for that fish of a lifetime..Thats why I sit out there week after week as many of us who fish the doga do.. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching, and yes lots of time for cards..At this point its my only shot to win money this year(cards) good luck and don't catch em all
Fish of a lifetime....yep, 2 years ago, my buddy was fishing and the only flag he had, had a massive pike on it and he couldn't get it up the hole. He had his hand on it trying to squeeze it thru and the pike pulled and thrashed it's head and broke the line. If he was able to get it out the hole and up on the ice it would have been on the wall cause it was the biggest pike he has ever caught open or hard water.  :tipup:  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.