Author Topic: South Idaho lakes  (Read 2558 times)

sihlms391

South Idaho lakes
« on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:04 PM »
I live in North Idaho.  There is no safe ice fishing here.  Would love to ice fish some lake south.   Anybody have any advice where to go?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: South Idaho lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:09 PM »
Cascade, Mackay, magic, ririe, Montpelier, Glendale, twin lakes, Chesterfield, American Falls are all froze, not sure what this week's warmup will do to them.

sihlms391

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:09 PM »
Thanks

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:22 AM »
The warm up shouldn't do much if anything to Mackay, magic, or the Preston area lakes I dont think. Ice on most is 6+ inches (12+ on Mackay). And they have snow on top. There probably closer to 8-10 on many areas of magic. More slush at the North end where the river comes in. There will likely be slush issues this week at most places but hopefully set back up after the warm. Mackay for example will be mid to upper 30s and then d single digit lows after that. Fishing has been good at most. I fished magic on the 25th and got 35 good perch and 4 trout between 2 of us. Twin lakes in Preston produced good gills and Crappie. Some nice trout (north lake has had less slush issues). And Mackay has produced limits of Kokanee and some nice rainbows for me. Though I haven't been there since before the new year. But I've seen reports of others catching stuff. North end seems to be better for the kokes at the moment but I would bet they can still be found all over.

Good luck if you make it down. Have some water proof boots just in case you do run into some slush.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.