Author Topic: okuma baitrunners  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
okuma baitrunners
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:24 PM »
bought a couple of okuma 500 baitrunners on sale to use for deadsticking bait. have them on fenwick hmg rods and custom made rod holders. seems like a change up from tip ups so I can fight fish with the rod and reel. does anybody fish this method?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: okuma baitrunners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:40 PM »
HT Ice Rigger and Arctic Warrior and Jaw Jacker are 3 rigs that use rods to fight fish. I have been using the ice rigger and warrior for several years. it's a different type of "tip up". love fighting the fish with the rods. Try one of those rigs and use another rod for jigging

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I use the HT ice riggers myself, and I ordered two. if these bait runners work smoothly, this will be take a lot of frustration out of my setups.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:23 PM »
I got the size 30 Avenger ABF over the summer for deadsticking pike. I haven’t used this setup for that yet but when I learned of baitfeeder reels, I was excited over the concept. Baitfeeder reels aren’t anything new but for deadsticking I think they will really catch on. I don’t use an iFish pro or anything like that so I just use to set the drag extremely light so the pike could run with it. Now, I can just use the baitfeeder switch. I’ve seen some videos of guys using them for walleye and they worked pretty great. I just put an Otter rod holder on my JetSled just for the deadstick rod. I think baitfeeders would work well for any species we use tipups for, especially the size 500’s for perch and crappie.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:01 AM »
that's why I got the small 500 series. u can also use these reels for bank fishing and boat fishing. I use the larger sizes for catfishing also.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Is there an Avenger bait feeder in the small 500 size, or is it just the Ceymar?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Both come in 500 size!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I'm definitely going to pick up an Avenger, then.

Offline biers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Just got the size 500 for deadsticking. Cannot wait to give her a try! Anyone interested in a look at the size of the reel, I attached a photo

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I got mine at fishusa.com on black Friday for $34. the small avenger baitrunner.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:56 PM »
This makes me want to buy another reel lol ;D

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:09 PM »
What pole are you guys mounting the Okuma on?  I plan to use it as a dead stick inside the shady while I jig with another pole.  Any thing special I should be looking for?  Fishing for perch and walleye.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:07 PM »
avenger bf changed my deadstick game and i'll never lose a rig down the hole again.  got tired of bells and loose drags so bought a baitfeeder and will never look back.  you can fine tune them to the point the wind will cause the bf drag to go off.  every ice fisherman should have one.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:30 PM »
What pole are you guys mounting the Okuma on?  I plan to use it as a dead stick inside the shady while I jig with another pole.  Any thing special I should be looking for?  Fishing for perch and walleye.
From what I’ve gathered, something with a soft tip so the fish doesn’t feel it as it starts to pull line.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:49 PM »
I have my size 30 Avenger on a 32” Extreme Taper fiberglass blank from SportsmensDirect that I built on. I’ll see how it handles pike this season but I think it would work well for crappie, perch, and walleye. That’s a 5” handle for size reference. I have it on this rod because it’s the only spare rod I have at the moment. I may build a beefier rod specifically for pike given how this one performs.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:41 AM »
The issue you will run into with any rod and reel type tip up is the line freezing to the spool after the first fish gets the line all wet. The bait feeder is nice. But as soon as the line freezes to the spool it pretty much a crap shoot. I have had better luck with baitcaster reels left in freespool with the spool tension set tight enough to the bait cant pull line and a fish can easily run. But again, after that first fish, the line freezes up on the spool.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2019, 02:18 PM »
That’s why I use mainly floro line. My fireline is mostly used as backing to maximize the amount of line I have in case something big grabs and takes some long runs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.