Author Topic: mini battery jumper conversion  (Read 1198 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
mini battery jumper conversion
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:48 AM »
can this be converted to be used for a flasher? there is a USB port to charge your phone. it can also be used to jump start your car.

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: mini battery jumper conversion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:53 AM »
unless it has a 12v ouput port, probably not. If it does have a port, it will work fine. I have used a GooLoo version with my Striker 4 quite a bit and it works great.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:58 AM »
unless it has a 12v ouput port, probably not. If it does have a port, it will work fine. I have used a GooLoo version with my Striker 4 quite a bit and it works great.

Aren't the terminal clips at 12 volts by definition or do they "up" the voltage for jump starting?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Aren't the terminal clips at 12 volts by definition or do they "up" the voltage for jump starting?

The problem is most sense whether the voltage is reversed or not, which means it will not turn on the output until it can sense the polarity is correct. It cannot do that with just a locator hooked to the leads.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:15 AM »
The problem is most sense whether the voltage is reversed or not, which means it will not turn on the output until it can sense the polarity is correct. It cannot do that with just a locator hooked to the leads.

Thank you. Makes sense. Great to know!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:19 AM »
this is all Greek to me. Sorry. Can you explain in simpler terms? my electrical knowledge is right up there with neuro-science

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:32 AM »
12 volt jumping is different from 12 volt power supply mode.  That's all I know.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:51 AM »
12 volt jumping is different from 12 volt power supply mode.  That's all I know.
not what I wanted to hear since that is the only thing with a designated Pos and Neg clip

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:59 AM »
This one should work!

Home Depot for $149.
[urlhttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeman-800-Amp-Portable-Battery-Jumper-and-Charging-Power-Supply-P800AJS/303605029][/url]

Here is manual. Check page 11.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/df/df75513a-d9ec-48a9-ab22-bd0e7265f400.pdf
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:12 AM »
This one should work!

Home Depot for $149.
[urlhttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeman-800-Amp-Portable-Battery-Jumper-and-Charging-Power-Supply-P800AJS/303605029][/url]

Here is manual. Check page 11.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/df/df75513a-d9ec-48a9-ab22-bd0e7265f400.pdf
this does not have a 12v power supply output. wouldn't we have the same problem? It would be awesome if this could be converted to power the Flasher. It would knock off 5 pounds

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I have had  good luck with this one: GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine), 12V Portable Power Pack Auto Battery Booster Phone Charger Built-in LED Light by GOOLOO Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0748D8KT6/ref

This one used to be yellow and I actually own two of them and they are great: GOOLOO Upgraded Car Jump Starter 1000A Peak 18000mAh with USB Quick Charge (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine) SuperSafe 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack Built-in Smart Protection by GOOLOO Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MLHPGY9/ref

You will need to make an adaptor from the 5.5mmX2.1mm jack to whatever connector your locator uses or just put a 5.5mmX2.1mm plug on the locator, which is what I did.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:23 AM »
what is the locator?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:48 AM »
what is the locator?

Yer flasher...  ;)2 If your unit only has battery clips it will likely not work. You need one that has a jack for 12v output. Several offerings have the clips and/or a cigarette lighter plug for jumping, a 12v output jack and one or two USB output jacks.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2019, 12:15 PM »
This is what I got on my Power source

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Nope. Those USB ports are all 5v and the one is 5v or 9v. Nine volts is probably not enough to run your flasher. The battery clips will put out a full 12v or a little better. Problem there, as someone previously noted, is most of these jumpers have polarity protection on them. That means they sense a bit of current they are connected to and if it's not hooked up correctly they don't turn on. Since your flasher wouldn't have a built in power source there's no current to tell the jumper if it's connected correctly. No turny ony...

Some of the jumper packs I've seen do have a 12v output. Most of them look something like this:

The jack/socket you would be looking for is on the bottom. Obviously it would be mounted in the box and what would be visible to you would be the middle view on the bottom. The usual plugs that would fit are on the top of the pic with the best view on the upper left. They do come in different sizes both the outside barrel and the inside pin.

Yes. It can get confusing if you don't know what you need or what you're looking at...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2019, 03:17 PM »
aw, nuts!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.