Author Topic: Baked Beans  (Read 3821 times)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Baked Beans
« on: Aug 03, 2022, 04:54 PM »
Does anyone have any good recipes for Baked Beans? Trying to remember how my mom used to make them in her bean pot.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Baked Beans
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Nice, can salt pork still be found

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Heck ya. Ask yer butcher, it's just pork belly that ain't been smoked yet. Walmart has it in the meat section. Goes into my smoky bean soup sometimes.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Nice, I'll have to look around then, not much for butchers around here.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:33 PM »

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:48 PM »
Cripes, yer gonna make me write this whole thing out?!  ;D From my Mom's cookbook, I can still see her big brown bean pot in the oven simmering away....recipe is over 75 years old. I think she'd be honored. Cooking was her thing. It's word for word. The real deal.....real baked beans.  :P

Thank you, That does look good. I wish I had my moms recipe but I know the cooking time was the same. She made it every Saturday night.

Bev's Beans

2 cups navy beans
1/4 lb salt pork, sliced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tablespoons of dark molasses
1 small onion, quartered

Wash beans, cover with water and soak overnite. Cook slowly until just tender or skins burst. Drain; reserve liquor. Place half of the beans in the bean pot. Bury part of the pork in the beans and add half of combined remaining ingredients. Add remaining beans and seasonings. Place remaining salt pork over top. Cover with the saved liquor. Cover and bake in slow oven (250 to 300°) 6 to 8 hrs. If needed, add more liquid. Serves 6-8.

Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2022, 05:52 PM »
Same here! Saturday night....and sometimes hamburgers to go along with it!  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2022, 08:22 PM »
K. I'll dive in with a coupla favorites, neither one of them are family or personally concocted.

Slow Cooker Baked Beans
From The Hamilton Beach Test Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:

1 bag (16 ounces) dried Northern beans, rinsed
5 slices bacon
1 large sweet onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (12 ounces) cola
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar 
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS: 

In a slow cooker crock, add beans and 6 cups cold water. Cover and soak overnight. Drain beans and place back in crock.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; drain and chop. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add onions, bacon and remaining ingredients to beans in crock. Stir until well blended. 

Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours or until beans are cooked and sauce has thickened. 

Serves: 10-12

I know. I'm almost ashamed but this thing came in the little booklet with our first slow cooker sometime in the 80's. Made and they were darn good. Passed 'em off at family gatherings for years as "Grandma's Secret" (on the other side  ::))

OK. One more borrowed recipe but very, very good. Credit to Emeril...

Slow Cooked White Beans - Emeril

Ingredients:

3/4 pound dried Great Northern beans, picked over to remove any broken beans and stones
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Essence
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juices
1 (12-ounce) bottle lager or ale
1/2 cup cane syrup or molasses
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup Canadian whiskey
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves

Instructions:

In a large pot, place the beans and cover with water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the beans are just tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown and the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Add the onions, cayenne, Essence, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and cook for 2 minutes. 

Add the beer, syrup, sugar, stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and bay leaves. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until tender, about 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed to cover the beans.

Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste. Serve with the Pan-Fried Pork Chops.

Yield: 6 servings 

NOTE: You can sub 3 - 4 cans of cooked beans for the dried. Rinse and drain well. Don’t cook too long or the beans will come apart.

What could possibly be wrong with a pot of beans that is flavored with beer, whiskey and bacon? NOTHING!!! Don't leave any of this out. "Essence" is Emeril's Cajun/Creole seasoning. I make my own twist, bent slightly Southwest. But it offa the shelf, search for Emeril's original recipe or see below:

Sparky’s Kick-It!

Makes about a 2/3 cup of blend. A double batch fills the big shaker. 

1 ˝ Tbs. sweet paprika
1 Tbs. smoked paprika
2 Tbs. kosher salt
2 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 Tbs. onion powder
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. chipotle pepper
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 Tbs. thyme 

Blend all the ingredients together and enjoy!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.