The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.  (Read 10596 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2013, 12:23 PM »
I'm going to be the odd man out here but I think the best auger for the money is an Eskimo.  I've had mine since 2003 and the only thing I've ever done to it was change the spark plug and blades.  Can't beat them for the price if you ask me, I'll always own an Eskimo.

x 2.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2013, 12:52 PM »
I won't claim the best, but I love my strike lite 2.  Nice drilling and it starts very easily.  I'd buy one again tomorrow if I had to.

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Here is a little video of my husqvarna in action. So far replaced the blades twice but only because someone dragged it across the ice instead of picking it up, otherwise really needed one blade change!  I also had to re thread the bolt holes for the handle, again because someone with gorilla hands tighten them the crap out of them till they stripped! Nothing I can blame on the auger though! The spark plug once!  Thats it in ten years!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:59 AM »
I'd say mine drills at the same rate, doesent matter if its 10" or 40" thick.

We have about 35-40" of soft ice right now, no problems.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:25 PM »
One of my friends has the nils.  Its nice and lite, and starts up easily.  You should be happy.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2013, 05:57 PM »
I bought a used jiffy 15 years ago.  was 125 bucks back then and is still going strong.  only thing i have had to do to mine is put a new plug in it last week.  Have never winterized it just have the tank 1/2 full when put away for the year.  Top off the tank in the fall and starts right up.  I would not trade it for anything and expect I will still have it for quite a while yet.  I get out quite a bit and would average 15-20 holes each time so I would guess that  it cuts about 1000+ holes a year.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I've only got experience with Strikemaster products. The first an older 3hp head (1994) has been a workhorse that my son now owns. It's paired with a 10" chipper drill that came with the 2hp head (2005) I've got now that drives a 10" Lazer. Both Tecumseh's have been flawless save for new plugs and fresh gas. Maybe a little heavier and louder than some of the new stuff but reliability is all there........

No complaints about either drill/blades, just wish I had the "Power Point" on the Lazer.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I was in the market for a Nils because I wanted the Tanaka powerhead and the seperate handle you can pack in the sled if something happens but the price tag was a bit steep for me. I had great luck with Strikemaster and found a used (actually never used but private sale) Strikelite II for very reasonable money and it's fantastic. Glad I bought it
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Apr 14, 2013, 09:57 PM »
The problem with the powerhead that comes on a nils is that it is extremely underpowered.If the blades are sharp,and you dont lift up on the auger,it will bite aggresively,bog down,and then get stuck

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Apr 14, 2013, 10:51 PM »
I picked up a used Tanaka with 8" Stikemaster Mora bit last week for a really good price.
It's my 3rd power auger in my stable. I also have an Rapala re-branded Eskimo with 8" bit and a 3hp Strikemaster Cobra with 10 1/4" ripper blade.
Yesterday was the first time out with the new to me Tanaka and I tried both the 8" and my 10" bits.
I drilled through somwhere North of 50" of ice and have to say this Tanaka engine is unbelievable.
It turns my 10 1/4" bit just like in the video.
The powerhead is an older TIA-305 model. The handles are not like the new ones, they are like a regular powerhead.
This engine runs very well, starts first pull and idles like a dream.    ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Apr 15, 2013, 11:33 PM »
In my opinion the best is the Eskimo Shark, lots of power and a nice price.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Apr 19, 2013, 09:29 AM »
The tanaka 350 kills everything out there, nothing even close IMO, pricey, but after using it a full season on lake Winnipeg, it's worth every penny and then some!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #42 on: Apr 19, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I have had a jiffy 9'' stealth since 2003.  I drill like a ma man during tourney pre fishing.  It has ripped 13000 holes estimated since 2003 and the engine purs.  It  is amazing.  I broke a clutch when I hit a under ice rock but thats the only repair and only 1 set of blades.  I like the strike light strikemaster because it is a good auger an very easy to carry all day.  Just a bit slower than the 2 stroke jiffy but 13 ounds lighter makes a big difference.  PLUS BOTH AUGERS i CaN GET PARTS FOR EASILY WHILE ON THE ROAD IF NEEDED.  Stick with the best go jiffy or strikemaster.  Nothing else measures up for your hard earned dollars.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #43 on: Oct 15, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Going to be buying my first auger this season, but wondering what everyone else uses and why. I've been looking at nifty,strike master and Eskimo augers. Been using my buddy strike master auger past fre seasons and I think its time to get my own. After doing some youtubing on different augers I'm leaning more towards the Eskimo shark z71.  What do you all think about.that one?  I already fish with the ekimo 949i pop up tent, but that's not the reason why I'm looking at that auger. Thanks
KCCO

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2013, 02:51 PM »
any of the major brand names are good. it depends on your style of fishing. do you run & gun & drill a lot of holes or do you drill a few and sit in one spot for a long time. Jiffy's are going to be the heaviest units out there and Nils power augers will be the lightest. Strikemaster is in the middle when it comes to weight. also don't over look the new Clam Edge Power Auger that they put out this year. since you are in Ramsey I would go to the Hardwater Expo in Blaine on November 1st to the 3rd and look at all the brands there. plus if you buy there you might even be able to get a small discount on it.

Personally I am still running a 1991 Strikemaster Magnum III Plus auger but this year I'm getting the new Clam Edge Power Auger and the Clam Drill/Auger Conversion kit.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Thanks man. I had no idea about clam making an ice auger or have I heard anything about an expo next month. I will be going for sure to openup my options now.  There are days when I run and gun, and days I like to just chill in the pop up. But during the day me and the buddy are chasing the fish drillin hole after hole. Weight isn't too much of a problem for me.
KCCO

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:49 PM »
strike master lazer! great cutting speed and light. i just bought one over summer on craigslist that was brand new last winter and hardly used (blades dont even have a scratch on the paint) for 300$. i used my buddies lazer last winter and loved it! just never use 91 octane it makes it a pain in the arse to start

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Thanks man. I had no idea about clam making an ice auger or have I heard anything about an expo next month. I will be going for sure to openup my options now.  There are days when I run and gun, and days I like to just chill in the pop up. But during the day me and the buddy are chasing the fish drillin hole after hole. Weight isn't too much of a problem for me.

the Expo next month is held at the Blaine National Sports Center right off of HWY 65.

there is also the large ice show in St Paul at the River Center. the dates for that show is December 6th to the 8th.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:38 PM »
The new Clam auger will be well worth the investment. Nils are also a great option to throw in the mix for you.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline fishinchiro307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Oct 16, 2013, 10:09 PM »
My buddy has the Z71 and its a really nice auger, a bit on the heavy side but solid. I was set on a Z51 but ended up checking out craigslist and got an older eskimo with the tecumseh 3hp motor looks great and runs better and I stole it for 100$. Just something to consider

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 19, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I will be running my Jiffy Pro4 for many years to come!  Sure it has some weight to it, but so do I.  When the ice is thin & I'm on foot I take my lazer hand auger.  When the ice is thick enough to need the power auger, it's thick enough for my wheeler too. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Oct 20, 2013, 04:14 AM »
I recommend the Eskimo Mako, it's a good auger with a price to match.   You can get one at L and M Supply for $274.99 but if you want a Stingray they have them for $249.99, and the Sharks run from $354.99 to $419.99.  These are the best prices I've seen so far for the Eskimos, they also have other brand augers, and below is their website if you want to check them out.  Good luck with whatever you choose. 

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers

Offline Snowcone207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 01, 2013, 05:53 PM »
So ive been saving for a while and sold my old one, what of all augers to buy jiffy pro4, eskimo shark 71 etc what cut ?.. been using a jiffy 30 10inch but sold it.

Offline BP_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:00 PM »
I bought an Eskimo Shark Z51 last year, awesome auger!

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Go with a pro4 you will not regret it.  Plus not dealing with gas mixing oil, and you get a whole season out of one bottle of propane.

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I am on the pro4 band wagon.  Cuts like a dream easy starting no spilled gas.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:04 PM »
eskimo sharkz51 starts in -20c 3rd pull cuts  smooth 8'' hole is all that is needed

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »
pro 4 all the way

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:38 PM »
pro 4 all the way
Another vote for the Pro 4!!! Had shoulder surgery last winter and even with the added weight I was still able to use it! The clutch system in it rocks so if it catches it won't fling you across the ice with all its power !
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #59 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:41 PM »
pro 4 all the way

Same here on the Pro 4! I got 60 holes on 1 bottle and still going. Waiting to see how many more I can get out of it this year. Propane is better than octane in this case. 0*F and first pull.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.