The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Sharpening Power Auger Blades  (Read 4498 times)

Long_Lake_Sudbury

Sharpening Power Auger Blades
« on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:12 AM »
I am having a hard time finding shops that will sharpen power auger blades.  Does anyone know of any mail order sharpening services or better yet are there any power auger sharpeners on the market that work really well.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sharpening Power Auger Blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:17 AM »
My buddy works in a machine shop for 20 yrs. & is very good at his trade. He sharpened mine years ago, but in my opinion it is better to just get new ones. They cut alright after sharpening, but not as good as new ones. 
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:43 AM »
I just sent a set out to be sharpened ,Havent got them back yet here is the site if you wanta try it.I will post  a report as soon as I get them back.
www.angelfire.com/biz7/iceaugersharpening/

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:49 AM »
A machine shop should be able to sharpen up your blades for you.  If your using an Eskimo product, you can change the power auger blades over to the Normark, or Mora blades ( 8 inch, or 6 inch only... don't know if they make a ten inch)  The holes on the Eskimo mate up with the Mora/Normark holes, and they cut very well, and take resharpening much better than the power auger blades, add to that it is much cheaper to purchase hand auger blades, and according to the machinest I spoke with, they are a better quality steel than the factory eskimo power auger blades.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:30 PM »
sharp it yourself with a lime,its very easy.i sharp mine and it work well.in 15 years i change the blade only 1 time.you'll save time and money ;D

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:38 PM »
most companies have a blade exchange program.  And alot of bait shop also offer this service.  I have sharpened my onw for years the only thing is to leave the side that contacts the ice should not be touched.

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2005, 02:03 PM »

I know www.fish307.com in Lake George NY has sharpening and or exchange service. 

And I sharpened mine once, never again.  I got em good and sharp, but the pitch must have been off, would'nt cut butter.... but thats just me!!

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2005, 01:27 AM »
I sharpen mine with a Lansky knife sharpener. Takes a bit of time and effort but works good. Its all a matter of getting the angle right which the Lansky system does.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:49 AM »
When you guy's sharpen you auger blade by hand,could you sharpen the ripper blades too. They have the seraded edge like a steak knife.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:09 AM »
I have a strikemaster chipper blade so I am not sure how the serration is on the ripper.  It is very easy to sharpen this style of blade.  Just do not work on the side that touches the ice on any system.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I'm sorry it was early this morning,couldn't remember what the heck it was called. Chipper blade.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline drjongy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Val's Cyclery in Minot, North Dakota sharpens Strikemaster blades.  They do all the sharpening for the company's reconditioned blades.  Just got mine back...like a razor.  Sharpening and shipping was about $12.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:21 PM »
i sharpened my Mora hand auger blades by hand and it worked ok.  I got one extra year out of them.  I got a total of 5 year out of them.  I replaced them with a brand new set this season, and wow! like a brand new auger again! Fish307 also has a sharpening program,  but with shipping it costs like 2/3 of a price of the brand new set if i remember ok.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:47 PM »
i remove my blades,mark the cutting angle with a felt pen,then hold the blade with a welders vice grip.I turn my belt sander upside down in the vice.I hold the blade at the precise angle and  by watching how much black pen comes off,I press down on the 100 grit belt for a second or three.after that i stroke the blades on leather back and forth to remover the burr.deadly sharp and only took 5 minutes.all blades can be done in this manner.happy drilling

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:14 PM »

And I sharpened mine once, never again.  I got em good and sharp, but the pitch must have been off, would'nt cut butter.... but thats just me!!

I did the same thing, turned my auger into a JACKHAMMER!...and a crappy one at that. 

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:42 PM »
I sharpened a Mora hand auger quite a few years ago ...took a long time doing it, but would it ever cut . If the cutting started to slow down, all that was required was a couple of licks with the back edge of a jack knife(like using a steel on a knife)to feather the edge to turn it back razor sharp...........Then one day I loaned it to my brother-in-law , and he "sharpened" it with a rusty, old, chipped-tooth, ***** file(and that's not the only name he heard that day). It took me hours of careful filing and stoning to get rid of the chips in the blade .
Now I use a Jiffy...not hard to dress up the serrated edge on that .

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:02 PM »
I sharpened a Mora hand auger quite a few years ago ...took a long time doing it, but would it ever cut . If the cutting started to slow down, all that was required was a couple of licks with the back edge of a jack knife(like using a steel on a knife)to feather the edge to turn it back razor sharp...........Then one day I loaned it to my brother-in-law , and he "sharpened" it with a rusty, old, chipped-tooth, bugger file(and that's not the only name he heard that day). It took me hours of careful filing and stoning to get rid of the chips in the blade .
Now I use a Jiffy...not hard to dress up the serrated edge on that .

What's your secret for the serrated blade?

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2005, 10:47 AM »
I recieved my blades back from the company I posted earlier.The Guy did a real nice job,He even fixed the ones that I tried to sharpen(what a mess).His turn around is very quik.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Quote from: TJG
What's your secret for the serrated blade?
Like others have said before me ...only stone the top bevel...and keeping that bevel to the original angle .
A few days later.... I had a look at my Jiffy auger  and I sharpen it from the bottom not the top as I stated above ....sorry about that . I also polish the edges of the down-pointing spear.
It looks like I better touch it up again .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:54 AM »
Quote from: Fishkeeper
Then one day I loaned it to my brother-in-law , and he "sharpened" it with a rusty, old, chipped-tooth, bugger file
I object to the changing of the proper name for ba****d file(you can go to any hardware store in Canada and buy a "ba****d File "). To call it a "bugger file" seems to give legitimacy to the activities that Micheal Jackson is on trial for .  >:(

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Back again...I went to   http://www.jiffy-on-ice.com/service   and found out a few things.....first, the blade is called a "Chipper Tooth Blade" ....2nd I have been sharpening it properly, but I use a stone instead of a file .3rd the  down-pointing thingy is called a "Pilot Point" and that should be sharpened also (as it has been )
I don't know if this blade is what some people , including myself , designated as a serrated blade ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.