The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: JIFFY AUGER PROBLEM  (Read 4034 times)

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
JIFFY AUGER PROBLEM
« on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:45 AM »
I have a jiffy 31 series 10" auger.Yesterday it was all i could do to drill 10 holes.The output shaft bearing on the clutch seems worn as the auger has alot of wobble in it.I put a brand new blade on it and it did not help at all.Jiffy's web site has no parts info and just tells you to see an autorized repair center.I can repair this myself if anybody knows where to get parts.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                         Elkman

trapperdirk

Re: JIFFY AUGER PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Well I have the parts list and reference numbers if thats what you need . There always is some wobble though on the Jiffy shafts .
  I e-mailed you the parts list for all Jiffy 30 series augers that I scanned from my booklet . Hope this helps and let us know how you made out .
   P.S. The parts list covers Model 30, Model 31 Legend and Model 34 and D-Ice'r ARMOR Drill Assemblies

TD

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2005, 06:59 PM »
All you have to call is call Jiffy.Those people know exactly what you need and all they need is a model number.Very friendly sevice.I had the same problem with a jiffy I had.Motor runs but blade doesnt spin! Seems like my buddies new Stealth and a another model 30 we used are going to go too.I think what kills them is drilling through 3ft of ice all the time!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2005, 06:22 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.I think i'm going to replace the 2 bronze bushings in the gear drive and upgrade to the ripper style auger.I just have to get it done soon as there is a tournement coming up at the end of the month.I did send an e-mail to jiffy and got a reply right away.Very good service!!!Tight lines.
                                                                            Elkman

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:21 AM »
my father purchased a new jiffy with the 10 inch auger right out of the box bran new it wobbles bad drilling holes.it really beats you up I suggested to my dad try a smaller dia auger 8" possibly.
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:27 AM »
Well i ordered my parts yesterday.They said that it should only take a couple of days so i guess i will repair it this weekend.I ordered the ripper style auger and also the earth auger so i can use it to build new fence out here on the farm.The wife really thought that was a good idea.LOL.She always has some new project from me to do.Maybe when i'm drilling post holes i can pretend to be drilling holes for fishing and the work will go easier that way.Stay dry and tight lines.
                                                                           Elkman

Offline throwbackjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:18 AM »
Had a problem with my model 30 also. Motor started but auger also turned at the same time. Took it apart and one of the clutch springs was broken which kept it free of the shaft allowing the auger to spin on start up. I also believe it broke from that last bite as you break through  the ice. Then again it is 12 years old with lots of use. Went to an authorized dealer, Yetman' in Winnipeg and bought the pair of springs for about 15$. Took it apart, put the springs in and works with no problems.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Hey, Trapper D, what a fine piece of equipment that Jiffy puts out!!! ;D ;D ;)  Love to rev ya!!!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2005, 06:26 PM »
Had a problem with my model 30 also. Motor started but auger also turned at the same time. Took it apart and one of the clutch springs was broken which kept it free of the shaft allowing the auger to spin on start up.
Thanks, throwbackjack - my son's has same problem, so we'll try Yetman's for replacement springs.  PS - Welcome to Ice Shanty from a fellow MBer.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Hey, Trapper D, what a fine piece of equipment that Jiffy puts out!!! ;D ;D ;)  Love to rev ya!!!

Rotflmao Bushbunny . ;D .Nice piece of equipment Nils puts out . HANDLE WITH CARE -GLASS PRODUCT . ;D

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=19264.0

TD

Offline throwbackjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Monophil

Met you back in Dec. at sugar. You were with deeker,trophy  hunter and a few other walleye warriors and I was with tigger. Post how you make out with the jiffy, and I will probably see you out again this winter.

Throwbackjack

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:06 AM »
I got the parts for my auger yesterday and will fix it today at work,but i've got a beef with jiffy.The earth auger blade and tip are replaceable but the ice auger tip is welded onto the auger.If you tear the tip up bad enough you have to replace the whole auger.We get alot of sand and rock in the ice because of all the wind and it takes its toll on the auger tip.Any good reason the tip isnt replaceable on the ice auger???
                                                                Elkman

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Well my Jiffy has the De Icer Armour head like teflon coated and the end is separate from the drill part but to replace it is $$$$$ . :-\

TD

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2005, 06:32 AM »
Used the auger this weekend at a tournament and it cut real sweeeeet!!!!It was a pleasure not beating myself up trying to cut holes.Did'nt catch as many fish as i would of liked but at least the auger worked.Tight lines.
                                                                      Elkman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.