The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Auger Break-In & Syn Oil?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Auger Break-In & Syn Oil?
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:19 AM »
I'm thinking about getting my first power auger (haven't decided which one yet), and I have a few questions about breaking it in.  My guess is that the owner's manual will provide pretty good instructions on the proper break-in procedures.

However, I was wondering whether I should start using synthetic oil like the Opti2 mentioned in some other posts here right away, or should I use regular oil during the break-in period and then switch to synthetic?

Any advice?

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: New Auger Break-In & Syn Oil?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Use the Opti2 according to their recommendations.  They have a warranted product.  Check out their website, and you will find out what their product will do for you. 

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2004, 01:49 AM »
Yes Bushbunny put me onto OPTI 2 and I am a believer in it . ;) There was lots written last year about break in time but I guarantee whatever you do , once auger is broke in and you use Opti 2 you will never go back to the regular oil . No smoke ,no oil leaks from exhaust and one mixture will serve all plus she runs Smmmmooooooth .

TD

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:56 AM »
Thanks guys.  Should I use the Opti2 starting with the very first tank of gas, or should I use regular oil for a tank or two and then switch to Opti2?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 07:17 AM »
I bought a Jiffy Stealth last year and the owners manual had nothing about a break in period.  I did however mix the oil a little richer the first gallon and then went back to the normal mixture.  I would check with the auger company to make sure the synthetic oils do not void any warranty's.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Break it in with a good quality 2 cycle oil and go to the Opti2 after a couple of tankfuls.  You can buy it in pouches that will mix 1 gallon or 2 gallons at a time(very convenient) to assure that you always have fresh fuel for your engines.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:59 PM »
We bought a brand new Strike master Xpress this year and I bought the Opti 2 oil, while asking the tech at the counter I asked about breaking in the new auger. His response was if it was a Tecumsah motor he said to start it and just run it using the opti2 oil. He said those little 2hp motors LOVE to run.

Offline Gary Piotrowski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:19 PM »
i too have a new auger it is a jiffy model 30  i was on the web yesterday and at there website  it tells you it will void the warranty if you use synthetic oil  so i will run what they want me to till the warranty is over      just my 2-cents                         Gary

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2005, 01:09 PM »
I have a Jiffy Stealth 2hp 8 inch auger, A 2 cycle cultivator,weedeater and chain saw. All had different mix ratios from 24 to 1 on up to 50 to 1. I emailed Amzoil and inquired about using a synthetic oil. They recommended Amzoil Saber Professional 100 to 1 pre-mix. They said that this 100 to 1 oil exceeds all engine manufacturers standards for engine oils. There are no solvents in this oil as it is a synthetic so oil doesn't drip onto the muffler, it runs smoother and best of all it doesn't smoke. Makes it great for drilling holes inside my big icehouse. I haven't used the oil that was mentioned in an earlier post, but it sounds good also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2005, 08:59 PM »
I've just started using Opti-2 oil in my Jiffy 31, 8", this winter, and won't go back to regular oil.  I used regular oil at 24:1 for 3 yrs before converting to the synthetic, and now have an auger that runs smoothly, no smoke, and no oil dripping from the exhaust.  Trapperdirk and bushbunny were instrumental in my trying this oil which I thought at 100:1 was a pretty thin mix.  However, the auger runs great.  Follow bushbunny's method of running a few tanks of regular 24:1 oil first, then switch to either Opti-2 or Amsoil synthetic.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

trapperdirk

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Another converted auger man eh Monophil .?  ;D I remember at first getting the heebie geebies too thinking about that 100-1 mixture but have never looked back and am now preaching the praises of Opti 2 like when Bushbunny converted me . Amsoil is a very similar product just hasn't got the stabilizer in it like Opti 2 and they far exceed all manufacturers specs .If somebody wants to stick to the other oils and the ratio than thats fine but I know my baby Jiffy loves me for making the change as do my other 2 strokes . Smoooooooooth and digs like a badger as Bushbunny would say .I have a gallon and a half of a very top mixing oil gathering dust in my shed .Come and get it because I will never use it again .

TD

Offline ajwiez2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bullgills
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2005, 05:01 PM »
 I am an amsoil man  myself  I have been using it for over 13 years now and won't use anything else. I run it in every thing that I own that needs lubrication. One tank of gas with reg. oil should be enough for a break in but two won't hurt but get switched after that . If you want to use Amsoil  pm me and I will get you set up with it . It is also a good idea to change the gear lube in the gear housing with amsoil gear lube as it will make your auger run smoother and cut faster because it dosen't get thick like reg. gear lube.
grab the gaff

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:04 AM »
break it in on regular two stroke oil.  The reason for this is that the pores in the engine castings are open.  A couple of tanks of oil mix will fill the pores with oil and give the engine better fuel flow.  Then use the Opti2 oil, it is good stuff.  Just my opinion.

Offline slapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I still use my Pappys old ice master Magnun II , 23 yrs old (now strikemaster) it is a 2 hp 8 in.  the auger itself is the stikemaster hand auger that uses mora blue blades .. it runs great but smokes a bit as you can imagine ... My question is,  Will the synthetic oil you are speaking of work for this baby too?? and is the equivelant mixture 100 to 1 ? my recomended mixture is also 24 to 1 .. thanks
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Slapjack, all I can say is that I have an old 1976 craftsman chain saw that runs well on the opti2 oil.  That said, all engines get tired and eventually die.  It didn`t hurt my old Poulon motor, but that is no guarantee.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Slapjack, I have been using it in my Tanaka for 15 years.  In fact, Husqvarna has recommended for their 2 cycle engines for a lot of years.  An old logger got me onto it, because his saws seemed to run forever!!!  I looked at it this way, he made his living using the Opti2, so it had to be good stuff.

Offline ajwiez2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bullgills
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2005, 05:09 PM »
I still use my Pappys old ice master Magnun II , 23 yrs old (now strikemaster) it is a 2 hp 8 in.  the auger itself is the stikemaster hand auger that uses mora blue blades .. it runs great but smokes a bit as you can imagine ... My question is,  Will the synthetic oil you are speaking of work for this baby too?? and is the equivelant mixture 100 to 1 ? my recomended mixture is also 24 to 1 .. thanks
I know that the Amsiol will help to clean carbon deposits from the head and from the rings and will probablly give some new life to it  along with no more smoke . I have my own landscape business and use it in all my 2 stroke engins at 100:1 mix ratio.
grab the gaff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.