The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils problem  (Read 1578 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Nils problem
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Have an 8" Nils that I bought in the middle of last season. I have replied to many auger posts with nothing but praise for the unit. Was out on Simcoe with three other guys Sunday and the auger was drilling just fine for all of us. No one noticed anything in or on the ice to cause a problem. Made a major move and when we went to set up it wouldn't drill at all. The unit was iced so we warmed it over the heater to make sure blade was free of ice, but that did nothing. You'd think you were on concrete. Luckily we had a Mora for backup. Anyone ever have a cutting head go bad so fast? Any ideas on what went wrong? 
Would appreciate any feedback.
Jerry
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Nils problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:56 AM »
Sounds like somone hit the blades against the ice. By doing this it would change the angle of the blade edge. I can't think of any other reason why it would stop working that quickly.

P Gottshall

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Thought I already responded, but don't see my post. . .

My buddy's Nils went dull all-of-a-sudden, I think when we derilled in shallow water & hit some mud.  I've heard others say the same.

You can get a replacement head at http://www.fish307.com/fish/augerb.htm

Paul

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:24 PM »
We were in 25 FOW so no chance of hitting mud. Didn't think about it being hiton the ice. Thanks for the site for a replacement head, Paul. That was going to be my next question.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2005, 10:51 AM »
thats the one thing about nils augers, they really cant take a hard drop.  I had a cutting head on my 6" ruined last year cause some A-HOLE dropped it on the ice - absolutely would not cut after that.  had to get a new cutting head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.