The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jiffy Propane Auger Junk  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Propane Auger Junk
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Buyer beware, the new Jiffy augers are not what the old ones were.  I have a 5 year old propane auger that has had approximately 3 bottles of propane used - average use and well cared for.  The timing belt has stretched to the point where the machine will no longer start.  Only option is engine replacement for $275.  Very disappointed in the quality of this "pro" auger.  This was my last Jiffy.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
Re: Jiffy Propane Auger Junk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I agree i won one in a icefishing contest two years ago nothing but trouble with it. junk wont start half the time on the ice should have sold it when i won it

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Ashamed of recommending them to friends, saw the warning signs with many of the cheap parts used.  My old jiffy still runs, it leaks gas and oil all over the place, but cuts ice, wish I could live with the mess.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:35 PM »
I’ve heard nothing but bad things about the jiffy propane models. The older gas jiffy’s seem to be pretty reliable tho.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Amen to this thread. Jiffy knew they had a bad product and totally screwed the guys that bought the early propane units. They will Never get another dime of money from me. I hope they lose their shorts with the electric drill setups on the market today. The most disgusting service of any company in this market that I have ever come across.

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:00 PM »
I have an 1980 gas never had any issues .Anything with propane in the real cold is no good ::)
Fish have tails

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Your right on with the cold vs propane, the propane stoves with hoses have the same issues. I had the old Jiffy's back to the single handle wrist killers! They all ran good, most of the stuff you buy now is cheap junk. After having rotator cuffs repaired in both shoulders, I have a Tanaka, light weight and cuts like a champ, a leap & bounds over that man killer of a Jiffy. The young bucks have no issues with the gas Jiffy but will get smart when they get older. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:44 PM »
No problems so far with my Pro 4 generation 3, hopefully my luck will hold up. Starts on the 1st pull, just don't give it any throttle ( different from the instructions). Works well in extreme cold weather just have to keep the propane bottle halfway warm.  My only complaint it is a little heavy.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:56 AM »
That's what I thought hookedup, then on hole number 6 of this season my auger failed and wouldn't start again.  After a trip to the jiffy repair shop the bad news came, timing belt stretched and not engaging, no internal parts sold for engine, only option replace entire engine.  Ridiculous.  Hope your auger proves better, I'm afraid they are time bombs given the quality of parts used.

Offline Gfish69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Informative  posts like this made me buy a strikemster... glad I did

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:48 AM »
strikemasters are great but still have alot of plastic parts like the handle,lucky it only cost like 35$

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Informative  posts like this made me buy a strikemster... glad I did

Prob best gas auger you can buy.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I dumped my Jiffy Model 30 5 years ago. My Jiffy was made 6 years before outsourcing, had to replace the carb every year, always had problems with it flooding, not starting, stalling etc.  Bought a strikemaster and have had no issues in the past 5 years. I always laugh when I hear someone swearing at their jiffy!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I hope they lose their shorts with the electric drill setups on the market today.

They will, believe me. Just my opinion, but anyone buying an internal combustion powered auger these days is a damn fool. Unless Jiffy can make a crazy good drill powered auger they will be out of business soon.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline on-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I love my model 30. Yeah it's had some issues from time to time but they've all been cheap and easy to fix (i.e. gas leak due to a stuck diaphram). I've never gone out and not been drill holes which is what matters to me.

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I sold a jiffy model 30 and went with the Jiffy model pro 4 lite propane to drop some weight and get away from the gas and mess of the fuel dripping everywhere.
So far the pro 4 lite has been a champ not saying it won't crap out any time. I have fished below 0 many times this year and i have seen recoils break and carb issues on a few of the bigger stealth and model 30 this year on the same trip on remote lakes.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Get an ion

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:43 PM »

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I'm looking at an Ion now, thanks for the feedback, really wanted to let people know my experience with jiffy before they buy. 

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:49 PM »
I have a 36 yo model 30 that still runs great. Bulletproof. But it is a tank. First or second year I had to get the 12" extension for 36"+ of ice. Haven't had to use the extension since.

Couple of years ago bought a NILS hand auger to lighten to load. May convert it to a drill in the future.

I saw a post on the NH board about problems with a new ION. I've never used one so can't offer first hand info on them.

A buddy got the 10" Strikemaster Lithium 40v Auger this year and said it cranks. I'm trying it out this weekend.

Good luck on whatever you get.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:37 AM »
I've had a jiffy pro 4 for since the start of the 2012 season. No major issues aside from breaking the plastic throttle, was still operable by manually pulling the cable. All in all, I like it. It is a little heavy, but I like a ten inch hole for the amount of togue fishing I do, maybe some day I'll need it.

That said, when it came time to buy a cordless drill last year, I bought a Milwaukee Fuel to keep my options open!

You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline Stealurfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Ion all the way!

Quiet, Light, No Mess!

Just charge it and go....

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Again, thought my pro4 was a good machine, took great care of it, no reason for timing belt to stretch beyond use after 4 bottles of propane through it.  If you own one and you're happy beware, how many holes until you're in my shoes?

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:35 AM »
I had the Jiffy 4pro and after spending money trying to get it to start better I just gave the thing away to a coworker and went out and got the new Ion.  love it.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:00 AM »
I had one as well, buddy and I were fishing on long and throttle broke while in a hole needless to say I just let it spin out of control until the little green propane bottlw flew off at a high rate of speed, coulda been dangerous.  Returned it for an ion 3 years ago and havnt looked back since. Besides the thermal popup probably my best purchase.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:12 PM »
You'll need them, as no internal engine parts are sold from jiffy!  Frankenauger!

Bought an ion today, gave it a short test run, amazing!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:21 PM »
You'll need them, as no internal engine parts are sold from jiffy!  Frankenauger!

Bought an ion today, gave it a short test run, amazing!
8 or 10” ion?

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:29 PM »
10" incredibly smooth cut.  No size jokes please.

It was nice to not have to worry what end of the auger was up when I set it down!  The little things...

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Yea my pro-4 fuel delivery started to leak so I purchased new hose/regulator and then destroyed a gasket when swapping out and i never got the gasket so it has been sitting for the better part of two seasons. It did run OK til then but not when it was 0°F or colder. I'll say though that auger bit that comes with the propane jiffys is the best one that jiffy has designed. Put the stealth STX bits on a model 30 and it rips some serious ice and unless you hit something other than ice it will keep its' edge for years.
It must be something in the water.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:22 AM »
10" incredibly smooth cut.  No size jokes please.

It was nice to not have to worry what end of the auger was up when I set it down!  The little things...
I just bought the 10” as well a few weeks back. I like mine a lot. I had the 8” before for a few seasons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.