Author Topic: Recon 5 help  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Recon 5 help
« on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:21 PM »
So I got the recon 5 in and tried it out in the boat. I live on a lake with crystal clear water and max 10' deep. Was in about 7' and with the sun out could barley see it and the glare was awful! I didn't buy it for inside the hut as I already have a showdown. It didn't seem to matter where it was in relation to the sun. Is there any anti-glare film for the screen or am I going to have to buy some type of box to mount it in. That would kinda defeat the purpose of a compact fish finder.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Recon 5 help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:08 AM »
Shielding the sky/light behind you may help.

Umbrella or sombrero.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:22 AM »
They make anti glare film sheets ...got mine at Walmart clearance section think it was for an I pad ...had to customize it for both my AV Micros...also picked up one for my Garmin Etrex 20 via Amazon .Some days are better then others depending on strength and angle of the sun with the glare.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Papa Sly - thanks for the feedback.  Was looking at getting one of these this year.  May make me rethink, or at least try and find one out on the ice and see for myself how the unit reacts.  I would use if for hole hopping and seeing the weedline. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Papa Sly - thanks for the feedback.  Was looking at getting one of these this year.  May make me rethink, or at least try and find one out on the ice and see for myself how the unit reacts.  I would use if for hole hopping and seeing the weedline.

Some Aqua Vu micro models have a shield... pair that w/anti glare film ...the smaller micro is my go to scouting camera .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:16 PM »
look into anti-glare film for note books and cut it to fit. would double as a screen protector.

i thought the unit had it's own sun shield on top of the carry case.

i can tell you that polarized sun glasses may mess with you seeing it clearly.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:52 PM »
It has a top shield but does little on a sunny day. Think I am going to use an ammo box so it will be in the back.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.