Author Topic: Nats 1530 EVA Winter Rubber Boot + questions on boot sizes to avoid cold feet  (Read 4351 times)

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey all,

TLDR - i ordered a pair of winter rubber boots 1 size larger than i normally wear, and they still fit a bit tight.  Should i exchange my boots for another size up (+2-2.5 sizes larger than my normal shoe size) to give my feet a bit more "breathing room" to avoid them getting cold due to everything being too tight and not allowing for some air space within the boot?

I recently purchased a pair of Nats EVA rubber winter boots, the 1530 model to be exact and they just arrived today.  I had done a bunch of reading on the forum researching my new winter boot options and hoping to maybe get a pair on sale during the black friday / cyber monday sales going on currently.  I was originally considering the cabelas brand trans-alaska pac boot and the cabelas saskatchewan goretex boots, as they seemed very well reviewed on the forums here, but alas they did not go on sale and the regular price on both of those boots is pretty high.  I also considered the baffin titan boots as they did go on sale (still are at cabelas canada) but i was a bit worried about the weight of those boots, but thought they would probably still be a good option given the positive reviews i have read on them, and the fact they should fit under my soon to arrive striker hardwater bibs.

I also ran across a few (limited) posts with people suggesting nats boots as potentially becoming one of the new preferred favorite for ice fisherfolk.  After looking into them more on my own, they seemed to check all the boxes i wanted in a winter boot for ice fishing and hunting.  The features i was most interested in were:

- waterproof (above the ankle as well as just at the foot level)
- lightweight
- warm enough for fishing in northern canadian cold (i have been known to fish outside of a shack/popup as cold as -20 to -25 C, and sometimes go out (but use a shelter) as cold as -30 to -35 C.

Without having used them outdoors on a trip yet, let me tell you, man are these things incredibly light!!  they put my old kamik winter lined rubber boots to shame in the weight category.  Amazon states they are less than 1.2 lb per boot, the official nats website states 4.5 lb (i believe for the pair).  Im not sure but i am inclined to think they might be as light as amazon says.

Given they are a rubber boot, aside from perhaps defects, they definitely should be 100% waterproof.  Not too concerned here.  Also i believe that at least part of the boot is made in canada.  My liners say made in china, but i think nats at least does some of the production or at least assembly in canada?  Some of their products clearly state that, however i am unsure with this one. 

In regards to warmth, they are rated to -70C (-94F), i know you cant always fully believe those ratings, but i suspect these boots should be very warm and suit my needs well given the reviews i have read on them.

The "EVA" in the boots title i believe refers to the type of rubber or way they produce it, i believe.  I believe it essentially means there is (more?) air in the rubber, thus making them not only light weight but better insulated to keep the cold out.  This EVA is what i think makes these boots the most attractive to me.

Aside from just tipping everyone off to these boots, as i love to share when i find a quality product, i did have a question for the fine folk of this forum.

I ordered my boots one size up, possibly 1.5 size up, i normally wear 11.5 or in some shoes 12.  I went with 13 on these as i had read people suggesting to size up on the amazon reviews, and that seems to be the general trend of recommendations for winter boots in general on the forum.  I am a bit concerned though, because these boots fit almost too perfectly while just wearing my costco merino wool socks.  I was thinking getting the 13's i might have a bit more wiggle room to accomodate a air pocket for extra warmth, and if they were too big yet, i could wear my bama sokkets in them.  I dont think there is any way i will be able to wear my bama's with this size boot.

I have also read it is worthwhile with any winter boot to take the liners out and wear them around the house for a few days to break the liners in.  So i am currently doing that, but the liners alone feel pretty tight on my feet.  The whole setup doesnt feel this tight when i am wearing the boots with the liners in them.  I am concerned that i should maybe exchange them for a size up.  Any thoughts regarding that?  I am a bit worried that even after i break the liners in that they might be too tight.  I suspect the boots should be warm enough though that i will not need to wear my bama sokkets, so its possible after breaking these liners in the boots could be good with just socks.  But again if they fit "perfect" (snug, a bit tight but not uncomfortable tight) i am worried that might let my feet get colder than they would with a bit more breathing room. 

Im not sure how nats would be about returning the boots after breaking the liners in, but i have read peoples experiences getting rejected on exchanges for boots after they had broke the liner in on them.

Does anyone care to offer an opinion on if you think i should exchange these quickly before i risk not being able too?  Like i said i'm a bit worried if the boots end up fitting "just perfect" they may perform a little worse than if i had more wiggle room.  I am leaning towards the concept that i probably want these boots to be a little loose, and im not sure given the current fit that even after breaking them in they will get loose enough to avoid unnecessary cold due to tight fit.  If the the size 14 ends up being a bit big i can always wear my bama sokkets in them to get a better fit.  Also love the bamas not only for the additional warmth, but for the moisture absorbing properties and the fact they make it simpler to keep a boot dry.

I normally wouldn't give reviews or suggest people to pick up a product i haven't field tested, but if like me you have the same desires in a winter boot, particularly that you want lightweight waterproof boots, these things seem like they are top rate in that category.  I occasionally go on long walks or hikes in my winter boots when ice fishing or winter camping, so having a lightweight boot was critical to me.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long winded ramble.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Wow! I thought I was long winded... You just made me feel better about that  ;)2 :roflmao:

Short answer to the gist of your query: Get a size where you can wear a good heavy sock AND still wiggle your toes. Each boot is designed differently and I've had boots 2 sizes bigger than my regular shoes feel tight across my toes. That's a no go.

If your feet are restricted so is your circulation and you will be cold.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Wow! I thought I was long winded...

Really 😜
I agree , to tight or sweat to much can create cold feet

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the response and help.  Yea sorry again about the long winded message, i generally am pretty wordy and long winded, but if i recall correctly i believe i was under the influence of some mighty fine marijuana edibles that night haha.

So i got myself a pair of liner socks (icebreaker ones particularly as i was ordering other merino wool products from them).  My thought was these boots might be warm enough to maybe just wear the liner sock.  I just tried the boots on with my liner sock underneath my regular merino wool socks and i can definitely wiggle and curl my toes in the boots.  When i curl my toes fully the top of my toe hits the top of the boot, but i dont think its too bad.  I unfortunately have not yet had a opportunity to get out ice fishing to try them out, but i am hoping i will be able to confirm these boots are good if i can get out over the holidays here.

Im hoping even if the boots are a bit tight, the use of a liner sock should hopefully help keep my feet dry and avoid cold toes.

Anyways, thanks again

Tight lines everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.