New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry Pond  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Icemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cranberry Pond
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:57 AM »
A few years ago I ate a walleye of the pond along with perch caught the same day though the ice and the walleye tasted terrible compared to the perch. Also tried those spring walleye too and as others mentioned they tasted like mud :sick: Will never keep another walleye out of those ponds and only eat the perch :'( If I want to catch and release I'd rather catch sheephead because at least they put up a nice rod bending fight unlike those walleye :P

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Cranberry, Long, Buck and Round ponds get nasty in the summer.  The water is very green, stagnant and smells horrible.  Drive by in the summer, take a look and a smell.  The fish do taste the way the water smells (with the exception of the perch that come in off the lake and spend a limited time in the ponds). 

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I hear the fish taste so bad Gamble eats lakers instead ;D  Good thing fishing isn't always about eating what you catch.
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:42 AM »
The perch are only in the ponds good in the fall-late spring when the waters are cool to cold. I have eaten perch out of there for years and have never tasted a bad one. What do you guys'  husbands think about the taste of the fish? Seriously guys! ;D ;D ;D
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I hear the fish taste so bad Gamble eats lakers instead ;D  Good thing fishing isn't always about eating what you catch.
Don't you have to know how to catch them before you can eat them ?????
ice fishing rules

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:53 PM »
well put perryt.some people just think they know everything.those ponds are nothing but swamp ponds.they can get alittle earthy smell but thats normal for those ponds.the lake is what smells.take a ride down to the beach.that smells.and also there no walleyes in long pond......lol
the bone

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:31 PM »
some people just think they know everything

Talking about yourself again 1beaver? 

Offline himhofh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • dedication gotta love it!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:36 PM »
lets not start the walleye debate again. last time  long pond got very overcrowded a few weekends ago.

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:59 PM »
do alittle research first gambelli before you put your foot in your mouth again.lmfao
the bone

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:05 PM »
No need to research.  The ponds are green and stagnant in the summer.  The resident fish in the ponds taste the way the water smells.  The lake run fish are fine.  But you know that because you are the resident know it all. 

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:36 PM »
it's good for the local economy when Long Pond is crowded !!!!!!!!
ice fishing rules

Offline pikedood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:15 PM »
it's good for the local economy when Long Pond is crowded !!!!!!!!

I hear its very good for the local police department before 8:00 am every day ::) Not sure why but they restricted the parking times down there and also have a noise ordinance as well they like to enforce :callcops: I used to like to park and fish off the east side of Cranberry too and now that is all posted up as well and have no idea why that happened either  :%$#!:  Anyone have any ideas on why those parking rules are now in effect :unsure:

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:31 PM »
thank you gambelli you are right.
the bone

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I hear its very good for the local police department before 8:00 am every day ::) Not sure why but they restricted the parking times down there and also have a noise ordinance as well they like to enforce :callcops: I used to like to park and fish off the east side of Cranberry too and now that is all posted up as well and have no idea why that happened either  :%$#!:  Anyone have any ideas on why those parking rules are now in effect :unsure:
Power augers at 6am pissed off residents

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:35 PM »
The parking is restricted because the homeowners complained to the town about gas augers before 8am.  This was the towns way keeping people from breaking the noise ordinance.  If it keeps up,  there is nothing from keeping the town from shutting the parking along edgemere down completely. 

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:36 PM »

Look no further than your fellow fisherman who have left trash, made excessive noise early in the morning, and parked on side streets blocking school bus access/trash pickup, etc. And continuation of that will only result in Long Pond having a no parking anytime sign like Cranberry on Edgemere drive. Expect that many of those culprits are not on here so we all need to "police" ourselves and our fellow anglers.     

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:37 PM »
The parking is restricted because the homeowners complained to the town about gas augers before 8am.  This was the towns way keeping people from breaking the noise ordinance.  If it keeps up,  there is nothing from keeping the town from shutting the parking along edgemere down completely.

Looks like Brian/I were typing at the same time..

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Looks like Brian/I were typing at the same time..

Great fishermen think alike.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Great fishermen think alike.

Too bad we don't "Catch" alike!!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Mike,  you forgot trespassing and taking a leak in front of their living room windows. 

I spent time on the phone with a rep from the dec about the parking and they said there is nothing they can do since there is a small access/ parking lot on Lowden Point Road.  If you guys feel like walking 1/2 to 3/4's of a mile to access the pond,  keep promoting this place. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I  got  to  be  honest  I  went  there  a  few  times   fishing  for  perch  in the  spring  and  I  picked  up  a  bag  of  trash  everytime  I  went ,  fishing  was  great  but  I  can't  set  in a  pig  pen  and  quit  going  for  just that  reason  ...I  don't  blame  the  people  that live  there  for   getting  upset it  was   nasty

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #51 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Getting all kinds of trash floating in front of my dock every year.not much we can do about it. ....guys have to start picking up there garbage but then again its the quality of people that fish down there sometimes that leave all there garbage down there.nice too see the shanty's back on long pond.I deal with the Dec on a regular basis because of my profession and they have no say in the matter.its all the town of Greece on long pond.I got and idea Don,t use power auger or wait till 8.no big deal right.don't have to be gambelli to figure that out.

Lol
the bone

Offline ESKIMOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:09 PM »
no parking along cranberry is because residents have there pond rites docks .water access they pay big tax bucks..and dont want people blocking there.shore areas.....those residence who complained of noise at 6:00 a.m on long pond.are the ones who ride snowmobile til ,,4:00 a.m..im serious....

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #53 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Well put eskimoauger.thank you.the noise ordinance must not apply too ducks hunters and loud speed boats either.there is nothing in the town code that says anything about power augers.there is a  certain amount of noise people that live on the water are going to have to put up with.just like people that live out in the country.combines. corn dryers. opening day of deer hunting etc.all towns have noise ordinance in place.finger lakes.up north etc.doesn't mean you can't use a power auger.i don't think anyone can even hear your power auger with there windows closed i.see power augers on Braddock's all the time.must not pertain too braddocks.I bay people are guilty on here for useing power augers down there all the time.must be ok down there right???????????some people should stop making waves in Greece .and you are right 2 bucketmike.got to pick up the garbage left by others.I do all the time..thanks
the bone

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Well put eskimoauger.thank you.the noise ordinance must not apply too ducks hunters and loud speed boats either.there is nothing in the town code that says anything about power augers.there is a  certain amount of noise people that live on the water are going to have to put up with.just like people that live out in the country.combines. corn dryers. opening day of deer hunting etc.all towns have noise ordinance in place.finger lakes.up north etc.doesn't mean you can't use a power auger.i don't think anyone can even hear your power auger with there windows closed i.see power augers on Braddock's all the time.must not pertain too braddocks.I bay people are guilty on here for useing power augers down there all the time.must be ok down there right???????????some people should stop making waves in Greece .and you are right 2 bucketmike.got to pick up the garbage left by others.I do all the time..thanks

The homeowners association on long pond are the ones making waves.  The other ponds/braddocks, I have never heard any complaints other than duck hunting.  The noise ordinance has a section in it about duck hunting saying it is legal.  The town of Greece police has stopped down and given guys warnings about running gas augers before 8am. 

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I hear you eskimoauger ...................... ..some people think they own those ponds cuz they live on them  ::)
They have tried to take our access away numerous times  ;D   without success  ;D
ice fishing rules

Offline Icemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 28, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I dont think the reports posted online here when the bite is on has helped the parking\noise issues any over the last few years :-X Mention the word "walleye" and people will travel from hours away based on one simple report as has been proven just recently with a bogus report no less :nono: Loose lips sink ships :wacko:  Just sayin  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:21 PM »
I dont think the reports posted online here when the bite is on has helped the parking\noise issues any over the last few years :-X Mention the word "walleye" and people will travel from hours away based on one simple report as has been proven just recently with a bogus report no less :nono: Loose lips sink ships :wacko:  Just sayin  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I tried to get that through to a couple thick skulled people but that fell on def ears.  Read back through some of the posts and you will be able to figure out who I'm talking about. 

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:47 PM »
right........whatever you say......lack of research is making some people look pretty bad....i pay 7500 a year in taxs in greece what do you pay.oh thats right your not from greece.??????????don,t worrie about the ponds.give it a break.theres noboby getting tickets for running power augers in greece.my god get with the program.and its called the grandview heights association that maintains the right of ways to the ponds and other issues.power augers ain,t one of them.......
the bone

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Geez,won't be long before this thread gets locked or moved to the grumpy old man bored. Theres bs and then theres petty bickering. At first it was entertaining now its just getting old

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.