The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gapen  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Gapen
« on: Oct 01, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Just curious if any of you fellas from Minnesota have used anything from this company? I ordered and just received a few of their Tungsten teardrops that seem to be of pretty good quality. Paint is bright and doesn't seem to be chipping...at least when I cleaned the eyes the paint stayed on the body with no flaking. Hooks aren't "sticky sharp" but certain they will be good enough to rip a lip or two. At $1.25 apiece I couldn't pass them up. Feedback?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Gapen
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2020, 08:51 PM »
I have a few lures from Gapen company.  They have some jigging spoons that are minnow shaped.  If I remember right they're called flicker spoon and it's a minnow shape.  Very good spoon to use too.  I think I bought my first tungsten jig from Gapen.  It wasn't the highest density tungsten.  Hooks are okay.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Can't say I 've heard of the company until now, interesting.

I buy most of my bulk tungsten jigs from amped for around a dollar or less if on sale, but that's your standard tungsten jig shape, not tear drop.  Several other MN companies I use for more specific style jigs.  Last I checked all tungsten jigs are sourced and casted from only a couple factories overseas.. the hook and paint job are the main differences which are done by the company here.  If the paint seems durable you should be good.

Offline Skadi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Do they have a website?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:52 PM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2020, 03:42 PM »
After looking at their website it’s the same Gapen  family as Dan Gapen the legendary Minnesota fisherman. I believe
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Can't say I 've heard of the company until now, interesting.

I buy most of my bulk tungsten jigs from amped for around a dollar or less if on sale, but that's your standard tungsten jig shape, not tear drop.  Several other MN companies I use for more specific style jigs.  Last I checked all tungsten jigs are sourced and casted from only a couple factories overseas.. the hook and paint job are the main differences which are done by the company here.  If the paint seems durable you should be good.

Hard to believe you are from MN and have never heard of Gapen lures.

The Flicker is a great lure through the ice.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:54 PM »
It is Dan Gapen.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2020, 12:17 AM »
Hard to believe you are from MN and have never heard of Gapen lures.

The Flicker is a great lure through the ice.

The Flicker jigging spoon is one of the best in my tackle box.  It's an all time forever in my collection.  When it first came out, it was one of the best designs by any jigging spoon standards.  It's detailed eyes.  The perch pattern with a glow belly was perfect for all day fishing and into low light fishing too.  There was a blue perch design back then and that was weird but still a great fish catcher too.  Back then the only other lures were Kastmasters, Swedish Pimples, Hopkins Spoons, Do-Jiggers, Hali Pilkki jiggers and an assortment of teardrop lures, and willow leaf lures from various companies.  Northland had introduce various lures that were also great.  Many great Midwestern companies had various of great lures too.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.