The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing Catfish  (Read 2016 times)

Offline jyuey

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing Catfish
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm planning to take a trip up to Cold Springs/Richmound to fish for the catfish. I'm still really new to ice fishing as I've been ice fishing for 2 years or so which I go out maybe 5-10 times a year only. Never caught a cat through the ice and would like experience it!

I will be walking out so any tips or places to try or anything anyone wants to share would be much appreciated. Also places to avoid and what to look out for.

Thank you!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing Catfish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:24 PM »
The biggest piece of advice when it comes to the chain is "DO NOT DRIVE OUT FROM THE SUMMER ACCESS FOR HORSESHOE". it is right on the river and the ice thickness varies too much and can be unsafe. there is a winter access about a mile down the road from the summer access but the area has now been posted no parking along the road. so this time of year your only options would be to use the cedar island public access and fish cedar island but even when doing that be careful and check the ice thickness as you go out. another option would be to fish long lake which is also a part of the chain . it has a public access on it. once the ice is safe to drive a truck on and you decide to fish horse shoe you will need to avoid the area where the river enters the lake and also right by that area is a spot called the Meth Hole. methane gas keeps the ice open in this one area and it happens to be over 50 feet of water. in really cold year this spot can skim over with ice so you need to be careful in that general area. It is not marked so use caution if you go looking for it. last report I head from the chain is that the ice is like 6 to 8 inches in most areas but even at that check for you self as you go out and try to avoid the channel areas going between the lakes. I hope to try and get up there in the next 2 to 4 weeks. the cat fish are pretty much all over hence the reason the DNR raised the limit to 10 channel cats when fishing the chain. the 1 over 24 " rule still apply thou. personally if you plan to eat any catfish the best ones are the 20 to 24 inchers. this size average 3 to 5lbs per fish. for bait use minnows, minnow heads, and chicken liver. nice thing about the chain is you never know what you will catch. the one time I was out there I had a four species night (Crappie, Blue Gill, Walleye, & Catfish).
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2019, 01:42 AM »
I also try to hit Horseshoe every now and then.  I usually don't hit it until mid Jan as I am in no hurry to get on ice until I can drive comfortably in the truck.

Cedar Island public access is usually really quiet by then.  Cedar has more structure and spots to pick for walleye spots, but it's always tough to find consistency...at least for me.  Well except when all I'm getting are tiny 6" walleye action.  I usually stick with Horseshoe and target the cats or rather wait for them.  I have caught crappie, perch, rock bass, walleye, northern pikes, and of course channel cats.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jyuey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Thank you for the good information. This will definitely help since I have never fished that area before.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.