New Jersey > Ice Fishing New Jersey

Stupid question

(1/5) > >>

woodworks:
So i am pretty raw at this ice fishing thing, was out last Friday evening and started getting lots of bites, but it was one quick tug then gone. I was fishing a Northlands tungsten jig tipped with half a superworm. And no matter how i fished it, i couldnt hook up. Went again Sunday morning and same thing, lots of quick single hits then nothing, i actually had one hang on for a few seconds but again, was gone. Most of the bites i had came when i only saw schools of baitfish passing by, could it be possible that the baitfish were nipping at the worm, or maybe small sunnies? Some of the tugs felt like decent fish, but since i couldnt hook any, i am starting to wonder.

zcm_82:
Probably real finicky sunfish, or dinks. If it happens again, downsize jigs and you should be able to hook into them to find out.

Rebelss:

--- Quote from: zcm_82 on Jan 25, 2022, 12:04 PM ---Probably real finicky sunfish, or dinks. If it happens again, downsize jigs and you should be able to hook into them to find out.

--- End quote ---

Not a stupid question, first off.  But I agree...that sounds exactly like those dopey (my opinion) sunfish....that's exactly what they do when I fish for Spring or Fall crappie on soft water, less so while ice fishing. I don't like them because they are little bait stealers and usually hit and nip like that when I'm after something else. However, my fishing buddy absolutely loves catching 'em.  ::)

Be nice to see your location in your avatar, too...helps a lot.  ;)

zcm_82:
I mostly fish panfish, so 3-4mm jigs are my usual, but once in a while I'll have a day where I have to go down to 2mm or micros to get hookups if they're hitting real light.

I'd lean more toward dinks, though. Even using micros, those little 2-4" sunfish are bait thieving ninjas.

woodworks:
Guys, thanks for all the responses, bolsters what i was thinking. Will try downsizing the jig and see what happens, Plan on going out again this Friday, will let you know how i make out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version