Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

What hook sizes on your tip ups with shiners/minnows?

<< < (3/3)

Gamalot:
This is the question for the ages. I use small single hooks size 8 when fishing for trout but it is a double edged sword. I use light mono or flouro leaders 6-8 pound test because trout are hook and line shy in clear waters. This becomes a problem every time out because I do get bit off pretty much every fishing trip at least once or twice. I never do know what fish won the battle but I suspect Pickerel and I do get a few of them on the ice. Steel leaders would be a much better plan for the pickerel but then I would rarely ever get a trout. What works for you with the species of fish you target is a pretty personal choice but big hooks and heavy line/leaders will certainly take you out of the running for trout except Lake trout.

Fishingjg:
I use treble hooks and my buddy uses single #4s, he just recently switched to #4 circle hooks. We both use Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. If you ask me the fluoro is the trick. We catch a lot of pickerel and after each catch you have to check the line and retie and start fishing again. I 17-pound test fluorocarbon without an issue and really don't lose any fish.

Chris338378:
Number 8's or 6's at the biggest.  I've caught lots of bass, perch, and pickerel with these sizes without any problems.

Iceassin:
15# Seguar Invizx fluoro...1/0 circle hooks...*Golden Shiners*. Just switched from wire and trebles this season. More flags and 0 break/cutoffs.

*Long story short, if you can get/find them, Cisco are killer baits for Pike...dead or alive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version