Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 73153 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #330 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Yep, no heat. I'm an old mounteering guy and have bivouacked at -17F on top of a mountain. We carried everything in a backpack and no heat. Easy things to help you and this is from a NOLS course I took (National Outdoor Leadership School):

1: A closed cell air mattress like a Thermorest is lifesaving. Way better than a cot. We just slept on the snow using a quality closed cell foam air matress. Not a Coleman mattress- closed cell foam core.

2. Have a complete separate set of long underwear to sleep in. In my NOLS course they taught me to sleep in nothing more than long underwear, no matter how cold it is, and they are right. People make the mistake of putting on a bunch of clothes inside the bag and they either wake up drenched in sweat or the clothes take up all the air space in the bag and you can't heat it up. Insulation is all based on the same principle- trapped air. If you pack your sleeping bag with too much clothes you reduce the effectiveness of the insulation in your bag.

3. Change into EVERYTHING new right before bed. No matter how dry you think your clothes are, they aren't. Do everything strenuous you need to do for the night then change everything including socks. Again, sleep in nothing more than good, ploy/synthetic long underwear (I know, people don't understand this until you do it). Wear a warm hat to bed.

4. If you need to pee while in your sleeping bag, just get up and do it. Do not sit there resisting the need to get up. Having a bladder full of liquid reduces your core temp drastically and can actually make you sweat due to physical stress. Get it over with and get back to sleep.

5. Don't let anyone tell you to sleep with a big jug of hot water in your sleeping bag. I'm not even going to tear this one apart, JUST DON'T DO THAT. EVER.

I could go on, but I won't, those are the basics! Have fun!

Also bumping this as it helped me tremendously.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:33 PM »
Nice bump, those are great tips.

FG Steve what are these write ups you speak of?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #332 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:37 AM »
I don’t understand why some of you don’t keep your heater on all night.  I’ve read several posts now with guys saying they don’t run heat while they sleep and I’m just curious as to their reasoning. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:53 AM »
FG Steve what are these write ups you speak of?

This hearkens back to the original post on this thread, from lowaccord66:

Who's lived in their shanty for a weekend?  What did you do right?  What could you have done better?   How cold was it?

Im going to stay on the ice all weekend.  Bringing a cot and cold weather bag.  Just curious who's done it and how it went!

I did my first-ever overnight in 2015, and in the spirit of the original post, I did a write-up on the experience, and tried to answer the questions.

Then in 2016 we did it again, and lowaccord gave this response:

FG Steve great trip and awesome addition the thread.  I suggest you update this yearly.  I haven't camped yet but I am going to as soon as possible.  I will certainly post then...Thanks again for the post...that's a lot of work to write that up.  Benefits many, nice job!

Since then, I have made an attempt to do an overnighter each year, and then continue the write-up of lessons learned, etc.  We were unable to go in 2017 due to my partner's wife getting in a life-threatening accident, and as mentioned, I haven't written up our 2020 trip, which went well.  These are the reports of all of our trips so far, all found in this same thread:

2015: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3440566#msg3440566
2016: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3587572#msg3587572
2018: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3921461#msg3921461
2019: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg4042423#msg4042423

I'm no expert.  Just another guy figuring out what works for him, for short-term camping on the ice.  One voice of the many here.  It's fun to write about the trips, share the learning, contrast our methods with others, and get new ideas.  As always, everything is my .02, IMO, and YMMV.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:01 AM »
I don’t understand why some of you don’t keep your heater on all night.  I’ve read several posts now with guys saying they don’t run heat while they sleep and I’m just curious as to their reasoning.

Number one for us is we just don't need it.  I sleep comfortably each time.  But we've only been down to -10F, not into the -40F range you have done.

As far as benefits, I think for us it removes any concern about CO or propane leaks.  Yes, we run a CO detector.  And preparing to sleep without the heater yields some safety benefit, so there is no urgency or emergency in case of heater problems overnight, while we're 2 miles from the truck.

IMO  YMMV

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:09 AM »
That’s interesting, are you able to keep your holes open all night or do you have to wake up periodically to chip them out?  I figured you guys were just trying to cut down on condensation thats why you didn’t run heat at night.  Kudos to you for going without heat I couldn’t do it for fear of my propane lines freezing at night and not being able to restart.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:17 AM »
That’s interesting, are you able to keep your holes open all night or do you have to wake up periodically to chip them out?

We fish only inside overnight, and get up only if a bell wakes us.  All holes inside and out, including the holes for the submersible light (outside) and camera (inside), are covered with Therm-A-Seat hole covers.  For those unfamiliar, they are 12" closed cell foam discs.  If you place them and press them down shortly after the hole is drilled and cleared, while the surrounding slush is still soft, then it makes a good seal on the edges, and an inside hole can stay ice free overnight.   If the seal is not good, then I have seen up to .25" of ice on the inside holes by morning.  Outside holes usually get less than .5" by morning, and are quickly and easily cleared for morning fishing, using the ice chisel.

By the way, these are great hole covers.  We used them during the day on Monday this week and had zero iced-up holes all day.  I like the black ones that let the sun help, too.  I was very skeptical at first, but once I tried one, it wasn't long before I had a full set.  Pricing on them can vary a lot.  Mine happen to be Cabela's branded.  Amazon has good deals on certain colors from time to time.  Looks like a 3-pack of black from the manufacturer is $24.95 +shipping at the moment.  No more skimming holes all day.

I figured you guys were just trying to cut down on condensation that's why you didn’t run heat at night.

Oh yeah, less evaporation/condensation, too.  Good point.  Reducing humidity in the shelter is one of our current considerations.  I already cover my bed once made, until bed time, or it can get downright damp on the surface.

I've thought about that, with regard to your long-term camping.  Must be difficult to get/keep things dry.

Kudos to you for going without heat I couldn’t do it for fear of my propane lines freezing at night and not being able to restart.

We haven't been below about -10F so no issues there.  I think propane will stop vaporizing at -44F, so that would be an important issue at the temps you see.  Those are hard-core real-man conditions for sure!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:30 AM »

Yep, I'm with FG Steve, I don't run heat because I don't need it. With the right gear and following the correct procedures I am cozy, warm and comfortable to -7F which is the coldest I've spent a night on the ice. Propane fired heat is also very damp, I'd rather have it dry.

The heater is close to me and when I start to open my eyes in the morning I fire the heater about 15 minutes before I crawl out of the wrapper.

Anyone run this or have any insight if this is a decent bag?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/slumberjack-ronin-20-mummy-sleeping-bag-100807342?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6Iyf69KZz1B55pr7Ifhbnky9KI-LxTytRgdHwDccmWsMRcYKzMcK-b8RoCm98QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've never owned any Slumberjack stuff but that certainly looks to fit the bill!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Jan 21, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Has anyone seen those diesel heaters people put inside vehicles and RVs? Those have the combustion outside, and forced air comes into the inhabited space. They do need 12V, but I saw a YouTube of a guy that hangs one on the side of his pickup topper and truck camps while ice fishing. Once they are going, they use little current, and produce a lot of heat.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #340 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:03 PM »
I think the hardest part of running no heat overnight would be crawling out of a cozy warm sleeping bag in the morning  ;D
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:14 PM »
I don't run Any heat at night, because I did it once during an ice fishing tournament.  I camped out on the ice in a sleeping bag on a cot in a Quick Fish 6.  Similar to Fg Steve, except mine wasn't a double bunk.  I had a buddy heater, so I figured I was safe with the low oxygen shut-off.  Around 2am, I woke with a severe headache, weak, dizzy and about to throw up.  I grabbed my bag, Thermarest and pillow, hiked 300 yards to shore and slept in the back of the SUV. I had to start it up a couple of times for heat. I woke up the next morning sicker than a dog. I left everything on the lake and drove home. I know it was CO poisoning.  Now, I camp like jethro, on shore in a three man backpacking tent.  The hub is set up on the ice with the buddy heater ready to go first thing in the morning.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #342 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:16 PM »
I ran heat and used 2 monoxide detectors.  One cot level in the shanty pocket right next to me and one wedged between the pole and the shanty up top.  Buddy heaters can kill you and I absolutely do not recommend sleeping with one on without a detector.

Thus year will drive on the ice and sleep in my truck idling.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #343 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Who's lived in their shanty for a weekend?  What did you do right?  What could you have done better?   How cold was it?
I suggest you update this yearly

The server web proxy still argues with my web server host sometimes.  If images don't appear, refresh the page.

Overnight Trip #5 December 30-31, 2020

Low around 10F and high about 25F, at a favorite local reservoir.

Here are the links to trips 1-4:

2015: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3440566#msg3440566
2016: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3587572#msg3587572
2018: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3921461#msg3921461
2019: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg4042423#msg4042423

This year’s report is a little different.  I channeled prospector some, but you’ll notice my videos are shorter, and there’s only one fish caught on camera.  ;D 

No big issues this trip.  It was very nearly routine.  No stuck snowmobiles, no slush, no trespassing.  But the trip was excellent!  It takes a lot of effort, with advance prep and packing, and it takes me a day or two to rest up afterward, even though I usually sleep quite a lot overnight.  So for me, it remains a goal to go annually, and the annual trip provides some highlight memories during the year, and a calm place for my mind to go during stressful times.  Oh, and it’s fun to see the reactions from friends and coworkers who learn that you sleep on the ice.

Well, the Ammondude moved to Texas, so we planned our trip to coincide with a planned visit up here, then his visit got COVID cancelled, so no Ammondude.  I offered the trip to my brother Dave and he agreed.

I’ve been wanting to convert the towing system of my fishing sled, and I found some time to get it done, but the custom hardware I had built last year came up missing, so that will have to wait until the hardware shows up.  Ergh.

The mechanic who normally checks out my snowmobiles was unavailable, but they seemed to be running OK, and we had no issues, so that worked out fine.

Other than these two minor items, preparation was uneventful and the gear checklist did its job.  As I was off work for the holidays, packing occurred at a leisurely pace for a few days with no surprises.

For some time, I have been considering an overnight at a favorite local reservoir where we spend a lot of time each Spring fishing in the boat, and if possible, at the exact spot where I overnighted in the boat last June.  The one-hour drive would be more convenient than the 2-3 hour drive to our usual destination.  This year provided a good opportunity.  While water was reported to be a bit low, ice condition reports were excellent, with plenty of clear, hard ice, and little snow.  So we agreed to stick closer to home and our destination was set.

Our simple goals for the trip:  Camp in one of our favorite soft water spots if possible, and bring home 8 trout > 2 lb. each (Two 2-fish limits for two days).

We had a casual departure before lunch, with a stop for a burger on the way, and an early afternoon arrival at the reservoir.  After some discussion, we left the spare heater and propane in the truck, putting our emergency backup 1.75 miles from camp.

Here we are packed up and ready to head out. 

Our target location was about 1.75 miles from the truck, tucked up next to a raised bank with willows on what is usually the windward side of the reservoir.  We have weathered plenty of windy time there in the boat by tying the boat to the willows using brush anchors, and fishing our little patch of glassy water with white caps on most of the reservoir.  It’s a nice, protected spot not used by anyone else that we have detected.  The plan: If we can get into more than 4 feet of water there, we’ll stay.

With the reservoir more than 10 feet below full, we arrived at our preferred spot at the upper end with some concerns about water depth.  Drill a test hole through 15 inches of clear ice, check with the sonar, only 3 ft. of water.   Move away from shore, drill again, 4 ft.  Move, drill, 5 ft.  Done.  Let’s make camp!

Then we had what has become an annual conversation.  It would be nice to have a shovel for a few minutes to clear snow.  OK, OK, maybe next year.  Kick and trample some snow, drill and clear 3 holes (2 fishing, 1 camera), put up the shelter:

We put out and anchored all six guy lines later.

It’s comforting to have the sleep system locked in, along with the heat and lights and other elements that we have assembled over the years.  Build the Cam-O-Cots, make the bed with Thermarest pad, Cabela’s cot pad, and two zero degree bags (each), cover the bed, put up the Goal Zero Light-a-Life 350 lights and extension cable, and hook up the Yeti 150 power pack.  Put the Big Buddy on the crate, hook up the propane.  Love that quick connect.  Set up the Aqua-Vu Micro Revolution 5.0 camera and pole holders inside.  I always feel better when camp is set up.  If weather gets nasty I can hunker down and fish in the warm shelter knowing that my toasty, comfy bed is waiting for me.

The cots went up pretty well.  I often say they are inconvenient to set up, but Dave thought it wasn’t that bad.  As Ammondude has been the expert on those, we paid close attention to how they were packed.  I’m frequently mentioning these cots and their setup, so here’s a look:

And here is a tour of this year’s camp that Dave recorded on day 2:

Dave was recording for his little kids, but I liked the narration so I left it in.

This video makes things look darker than they are, but it gives a reasonable look at how we use the shelter overnight:

With an hour or two of light remaining, time to fish!  Dave got into a nice fish about 2 lbs right away, and we had fish on the screen as soon as the camera was turned on.  I caught one of those, also about 2 lbs.  I kept my fish and Dave turned his back, hoping for something larger.  Then at dark it shut down HARD.  BOOM.  Nothing on the camera, all quiet.  Except one more fish on one of my dead sticks outside, a nice rainbow > 3 lb.

I had considered packing the DVD player but thought better of it and left it home.  As it turned out, we could have watched a movie before bed, as the fishing was DEAD.  Not even a single bite overnight, nothing until 7:30 a.m.

Brisket supply was low in the home freezer, so instead of our traditional brisket sandwiches, we had pulled pork and coleslaw sandwiches with barbecue sauce on pretzel buns.  Same method as always, heat the meat in vacuum sealed bag and then use the hot water for some Tang.  Very well received.

Dave’s little stove is more stable than mine.   Maybe it’s time to pull the trigger on that new backpacking stove I’ve been eyeing…  Ergh.

I set an alarm for 6:30 and we hit the sack at about 10:00 p.m.  Dave was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable it is to get changed for bed in a heated, insulated shelter on the ice.  We both noticed the cold floor, so to speak, and I may reconsider bringing enough floor pads to cover it all.  Might help with the evaporation/condensation issues, too.  We brought enough for the whole floor on the first trip in 2015 but never used them all.  I will think on it.

Silent night, no bells, no nothing.  Not even a coyote interruption.  I woke up too hot a couple of times.

I woke before the alarm, turned it off, got up and turned on the heater, and got dressed.  For the first time in memory, I cleared and set up all my outside holes and poles in the dark to maximize my fishing time, and about 30 minutes before sunrise I landed and kept a nice fish, all before Dave got up and out.

So at that point, I have 3 fish to eat and Dave has none.  Dude, let’s get you into some fish!  He had a fun morning, missed a lot of light bites, and finally caught a couple of keepers.  In the meantime, I watched the camera with no fish on it and did some packing up.  Just after lunch my AK Salmonbear did its thing and I pulled in the big fish for the trip at 3 lb 9 oz.

We leisurely packed up and headed out.  Here is the train to go back.

It takes a while to transfer stuff to the truck.  I figured out that we pack and unpack the gear 4 times to do this.  Pack the car, unload the car and pack the sleds, unpack the sleds and make camp, break camp and pack the sleds, unpack the sleds and pack the car, unpack the car at home.  Folks with a big enclosed trailer could avoid some of this, but I’m not gonna go there for one trip per year.

Dave had a good time and says he would do it again.
The Goal Zero Yeti 150 had 60% of its battery left, after running lights and recharging a phone.
The Strikemaster Lithium 40V auger battery had 75% of its charge (3/4 lights).  Probably drilled about 25 holes.  Advertised capacity is 100 holes in 16” of ice.  I believe.
The Marcum LX-6s sonar had plenty of charge left on its 9ah SLA.
The submersible light stayed on all night on its 8ah SLA.
The Anker portable power pack kept the Aqua-Vu camera going on day 2 and seemed to dump all its charge into the camera battery, which recharged while in use and still had some reserve when we turned it off.
We didn’t use much propane.  I haven’t refilled yet but will update when I know the total.

Thanks, Dave for the great trip and for being the videographer.  That was fun.

OK, identified improvements from last year:

-Consider adding a small shovel, like my avalanche shovel or some such, to clear snow for the shelter: OK, I give.  I have a lightweight plastic shovel in my gear room.  On the checklist it goes.
-Get back to an earlier start with pre-Noon arrival: The closer-to-home destination helped with this, but it also made for a more-casual departure.  If we had been more prompt departing, more fishing time would have been good and maybe increased Dave’s first-day catch.  Best rule of thumb remains pre-Noon arrival.  Get back to that.
-Pack some extra straps to carry a frozen shelter on one of the loaded sleds if needed: Did. Didn’t need.  Permanent, easy add.
-Ammondude tuck in yer pants in case of slush: We did.  But no Ammondude and no slush.
-Find more non-cotton clothing: Still shopping casually for non-cotton pants.  Need to step this up
-Figure out a slush hand signal to have the guy in back stop even though the guy in front is gunning it through the slush:  No slush!  Great conditions.  But need to remember this for the future.
-Record even more underwater video, by leaving the unit in record mode instead of waiting for fish to appear before hitting the Rec button.  With so little observed on the camera this year, this was kinda moot.  Recorded zero this year.
-Newer snowmobiles would not get slush-stuck as easily… Ergh.  Still in the back of my head but not ready to buy different sleds to drive only a few miles each year.
-What do do about the 9416i drips?  I had designed and brought a simple tarp system with dacron cord and bungees, to deflect snow from the center of the shelter roof, but the snow forecast was minimal and we didn’t deploy it.  Although we had periods of light snow, it all melted and evaporated from the roof during periods of heater use.

Improvements for next year:

-Nobody used the Luggable Loo this year, but despite that, it is time to get something more stable for my arthritic knees, etc.  We’ve selected the Cabela’s Camp Commode (currently at https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-camp-commode-camping-toilet) which will be used with the Luggable Loo bucket.  If we get a new outhouse tent as planned for the boat this year, and it packs small enough, maybe that too.  This is bad adding new stuff without dropping others to make room.  Last thing I need is a longer train of cargo.
-Give up and bring the stinking shovel.  Already added to the checklist.
-Consider covering the whole floor (we only covered beneath the cot and spots to stand for changing clothes).  The pads are cheap but they take up space…
-Update my auger repair kit for the Lithium 40V.  It still has a spark plug and gapper and other stuff for my Lazer Mag that I sold.  Used that auger 1997 – 2019!  Maybe pare the kit down to a spare collar bolt and blades, with associated tools?
-New backpacking stove?  Not a necessity but might happen anyway.  MSR Whisperlite Universal.
-Find non-cotton pants.
-Convert the fishing sled to a removable hitch assembly.

And I still think frequently about modifying a Clam X300 as a solo setup.  Maybe a retirement project…

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #344 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Great read!

If you're looking for wool pants I really like all my Firstlite wool. I wear it hunting, hiking, fishing and snowboarding. Pretty much anytime I'm outdoors.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #345 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:52 PM »
If you're looking for wool pants I really like all my Firstlite wool. I wear it hunting, hiking, fishing and snowboarding. Pretty much anytime I'm outdoors.

Like this? https://www.firstlite.com/products/obsidian-merino-pants

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #346 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Awesome update Steve!  Perhaps when the flu mania ends I can make my way out there! 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #347 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:35 PM »
FG Steve thank you for the report from your annual trip. Nice work by your brother on the video.

steve

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #348 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:52 PM »
You need to get a pair of puffy pants.  I have a pair of mountain hardware compressor pants that I wear all day in the shack usually with just a pair of boxers.  They are a little spendy but they are durable and crazy comfortable.  I found that if I’m not using a plywood floor an indoor outdoor carpet with the foam squares on top really help with traction and floor coverage.  It also helps retain heat believe it or not.   Find a carpet that drains water really well so it lightens up before you put it back in your sleds.  Looks like your on the right track for doing some serious multi day trips. 

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #349 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Like this? https://www.firstlite.com/products/obsidian-merino-pants

These are exactly what I wear, with their wool long johns on underneath. They're light and don't feel like they'd be warm at all, but when you're active and moving around they do the job well. I wear the midweight bibs and jacket over that for ice season. They're great for fall small game hunting/hiking too.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:35 AM »
FG Steve, thank you for taking the time for posting your trip, I really enjoyed it.

The bunks do seem a bit labor intensive but I imagine re-packing the bunks is worse!

Are you allowed to use tip ups in your state? If so, I'm guessing you're not a fan.

Jim

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Great write up Steve!! Thanks, I love reading about trips. I'll have one to write about in a few weeks.

Has anyone seen those diesel heaters people put inside vehicles and RVs? Those have the combustion outside, and forced air comes into the inhabited space. They do need 12V, but I saw a YouTube of a guy that hangs one on the side of his pickup topper and truck camps while ice fishing. Once they are going, they use little current, and produce a lot of heat.

A lot of my snowmobiling buddies are putting these inexpensive, 12 volt diesel heaters in their trailers. They are mounted inside with the intake and exhaust running outside. They seem really neat, although my boss got one for his woodshop and he tells me the pump is noisy. He said it makes an amazing amount of heat and it stays nice and dry in there.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:15 AM »
The bunks do seem a bit labor intensive but I imagine re-packing the bunks is worse!

Actually, the effort is about the same, if not easier.  We were able to figure out where everything went pretty quickly.  Removing the foot pads is easier than installing them.  Still worth the effort for me.  Those things are so stable, and the bunk concept is great for floor space.  As long as you get the foot pads and the extensions, I still give 'em a strong buy recommendation.

Are you allowed to use tip ups in your state? If so, I'm guessing you're not a fan.

Certainly tip ups are legal.  It's just a personal preference thing.  For large trout on 6 lb mono, I really want some rod guides and a good reel drag system between me and the fish.  The trout in that video took about 5 runs, stripping line off the reel each time.  I don't trust my fingers to manage that.  You can rig 'em to free spool while your dead sticking if you want.  I have a buddy who does that a lot.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #353 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:18 PM »
This is me being lazy and not taking the time to read through the thread or use the search function. FG Steve, awesome video I did watch! Going to be camping on the ice this weekend (second time out). I have the foam flooring and will be raising my heater up on a bucket/milk crate. My question is. We have about 6-8 inches of snow on the ice. Do I shovel it all out or leave a thin layer? My worry is if I shovel it out, I might get a big puddle. If I don’t shovel, foam pads won’t lay flat?
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:18 PM »
I will be taking pictures and reporting on my trip!
Tight Lines!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #355 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:40 AM »
Do I shovel it all out or leave a thin layer? My worry is if I shovel it out, I might get a big puddle. If I don’t shovel, foam pads won’t lay flat?

I'm not a foam pad guy, but I specifically leave snow in my flip, I prefer it. But I also have a spot inside the flip that I can stand in and take my boots off and get changed into my sleeping gear. I tried the foam pads and hated them. My floor is always my Muck Arctic Ice boots with Kahtoolas!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #356 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:11 AM »
I'm with you Geoff.  My foam floor peices froze in pretty good and were a mega pain.  Next time I'd just leave snow.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #357 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:17 AM »
I'm with you Geoff.  My foam floor peices froze in pretty good and were a mega pain.  Next time I'd just leave snow.
I also hated the foam pads...in the past i have picked an area, drilled a couple holes got it all nice and slushy and then let that freeze up a bit.pop up shanty on that frozen patch and then less puddles early on, and better footing  in the shanty

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:47 PM »
ive camped twice on the ice overnight this season in a uninsulated hut, mr.buddy heater and a cot with no blanket. couldve used a blanket for more comfort but I managed. I fished all night with tip ups but would check flags every 1 to 2 hours so that I could clean holes. First time I went out I didnt clean holes and 3 inches of hard ice formed in just 6 hours and made it a pain. I use the Rio Gear smart cot xl and it fits perfectly at one end of my hut. Only thing i will do differently next time is keep my beer in the hut so it doesnt freeze and become undrinkable. haha
Around here you can leave tip ups unattended for 24 hours and marked with your AIS# and I see alot of guys bring their ice bar out to chip away for tip ups, but i think you miss alot of fish checking only once every 24 hours.

You need to stop drinking such weak beer if it's freezing on you.  Maybe try a good Russian Imperial Stout. 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Akhardwater

Curious as to how you prefastened the tarps to your shacks. Would it be possible to get a pic?  What of tarp did you use?

SmilingBob

X2 on double roof to make the tent warmer. We spent fall in a wall tent in the mountains, and we would always cover them with visqueen flies before the snow. It made the snow slide off, but also made them a lot warmer- which kept moisture from condensing on the inside roof.

Reflectix tucked between the poles and the roof would work well too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.